• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it Matter What Name You Call God?

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

>Does it matter what name you call God?

God has many names, and they are all equally acceptable! Most are simply a difference of language.

Just a few are: Gott, Parvedegar, Dios, Wankantanka, Bog, Allah, God, Dieu, and Boje, plus many, many more!

All good stuff.

Best, :)

Bruce

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Actually "god" has an incredible sense of humor and so any name you want to give him/her/it is perfectly ok. Names are somewhat meaningless labels after all and imho, any "god" that was upset by what you chose to call him/her/it, isn't really worthy of being called a "god".

Although I have it on good authority that he/she/it doesn't like being called Shirley or Sue.

Scott1

I don't think it matters what name you call God.... just as long as you call.

Now, if someone can give me the phone number to call, I'd appreciate it!

Omnipresent Truth

You know there is ;-)
Actually "god" has an incredible sense of humor and so any name you want to give him/her/it is perfectly ok. Names are somewhat meaningless labels after all and imho, any "god" that was upset by what you chose to call him/her/it, isn't really worthy of being called a "god".

Although I have it on good authority that he/she/it doesn't like being called Shirley or Sue.
LOL This is getting a reoccurring theme where I am going to post what's already been posted. At least I can appreciate not having to put my mindclutter into sentences.

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est
Does it matter what name you call God? If so, why? If not, why not?

:eek: Yes, yes, yes, it matters! I do not want my prayers, supplications, lamentations, offerings and sacrifices going to the wrong address. They might get the wrong idea about me after all, not to mention I'd be keeping a deity waiting! The outcomes could be tragic! :help:

Seriously, All Gods are not One God. They are very much distinct beings and most hate to wait for anything.:bow:

Omnipresent Truth

You know there is ;-)
I understand your stance & apologies if it offended. This is not a debate to be had in this thread with such differing beliefs, if what we consider divine truth to be; on one hand an all encompassing mass of consciousness (what I consider 'God') & on the other hand; many dedicated 'Gods' that govern their own area of er.....expertize? (maybe I didn't explain that too good but it's the best I could come up with & if it's completely wrong, help me out please lol).

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I only call 'God' 'God' because people ask way too many questions if I say 'Creator' or 'That which is all' to get on with the conversation. :shrug: I feel that 'God' couldn't really give 2 flying clouds what we call it, as long as it wasn't derogatory. :bow:

Isabella Lecour

amor aeternus est
So you don't believe in unity?

In what? At every level unity is just a composite of individual parts. Which level am I to say "This is God, unified"? No, I don't believe in unity in the divine. I believe in the infinite in the divine.

This is why it matters to me what name I call "God."

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Moses: "So what should I call you? That parts still unclear".

God: "You don't have to call me, I'm already here"

From the Dr. Seuss Bible.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
I think it does matter. It depends on the motive behind using the name. If it is a name that you and/or others believe glorifies or honors God, then it should be used. If it is a name that ridicules or insults God to you and/or others, then it is bad.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the connotations of a name, and what those are for the individual, can be a big factor in the way people approach spirituality/religion.

I've known at least one "atheist", who wound up admitting that he at least suspected there must be some form of intellegence behind the order of the universe; ---"but it isn't 'God' ".

What he was really saying was that it wasn't the "God" he'd been brought up with. "God" can actually be a stumbling block for some people on their way to finding "God".

Omnipresent Truth

You know there is ;-)
I think the connotations of a name, and what those are for the individual, can be a big factor in the way people approach spirituality/religion.

I've known at least one "atheist", who wound up admitting that he at least suspected there must be some form of intellegence behind the order of the universe; ---"but it isn't 'God' ".

What he was really saying was that it wasn't the "God" he'd been brought up with. "God" can actually be a stumbling block for some people on their way to finding "God".

I've noticed many similar attitudes. 'God' seems a fitting name for the entity you (me) are trying to explain although some people have preconceived ideas on what 'God' is, which is only natural, but thinking they are in parallel with your ideas can become surprisingly difficult to explain, being half way into a conversation. With that said, I still use 'God' as a starting label and if I perceive the recipient to be in a more aware state of mind then I will expand on the term.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I've noticed many similar attitudes. 'God' seems a fitting name for the entity you (me) are trying to explain although some people have preconceived ideas on what 'God' is, which is only natural, but thinking they are in parallel with your ideas can become surprisingly difficult to explain, being half way into a conversation. With that said, I still use 'God' as a starting label and if I perceive the recipient to be in a more aware state of mind then I will expand on the term.

Probably not a bad strategy. I always say "God" with a sort of "for lack of a better word" attitude (the Tao that can be spoken of...).

It can be really liberating once someone's become aware of and gotten over thier own atttachments to connotations. I have no problem saying "Allah" when I'm speaking with a Muslim, or "Higher Power" when I'm talking to one of my New Age or 12 step friends.

It would have felt hypocritical at one time but at this point I'm pretty much Ok with whatever word keeps the conversation moving along.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**
Probably not a bad strategy. I always say "God" with a sort of "for lack of a better word" attitude (the Tao that can be spoken of...).

It can be really liberating once someone's become aware of and gotten over thier own atttachments to connotations. I have no problem saying "Allah" when I'm speaking with a Muslim, or "Higher Power" when I'm talking to one of my New Age or 12 step friends.

It would have felt hypocritical at one time but at this point I'm pretty much Ok with whatever word keeps the conversation moving along.

Very nice.