• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it Matter What Name You Call God?

Omnipresent Truth

You know there is ;-)
Probably not a bad strategy. I always say "God" with a sort of "for lack of a better word" attitude (the Tao that can be spoken of...).

It can be really liberating once someone's become aware of and gotten over thier own atttachments to connotations. I have no problem saying "Allah" when I'm speaking with a Muslim, or "Higher Power" when I'm talking to one of my New Age or 12 step friends.

It would have felt hypocritical at one time but at this point I'm pretty much Ok with whatever word keeps the conversation moving along.

LOL I actually feel quite liberated when someone understands the context that such a label holds, although after time & if truly understood, comfort inverts and you don't know what to name 'it'. lol :confused:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
LOL I actually feel quite liberated when someone understands the context that such a label holds, although after time & if truly understood, comfort inverts and you don't know what to name 'it'. lol :confused:

I think God is intentionally playing hide and seek with us; giving us countless clues but no real answers, going under so many different names but answering to any or none.

Maybe the idea is that this way we're forced to go through each other and ourselves in order to find "Him".

If we had "His" name we might be tempted to lock "Him" away in a filing cabinet somewhere, or maybe a book, thinking we've already solved the mystery.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I think God is intentionally playing hide and seek with us; giving us countless clues but no real answers, going under so many different names but answering to any or none.

Maybe the idea is that this way we're forced to go through each other and ourselves in order to find "Him".

If we had "His" name we might be tempted to lock "Him" away in a filing cabinet somewhere, or maybe a book, thinking we've already solved the mystery.
Or are we the ones playing hide and seek, not realising that we're playing it alone?