• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does It Strike You As Insane That...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Does it strike you as insane that politicians are able to get elected and reelected without doing a single thing to address the world wide epidemic of abuse?

We all live nowadays in societies in which domestic violence, rape, child abuse, child sexual abuse, abortion, etc. etc. are rampant. But about the only one of those issues that gets any attention from the politicians is abortion. Why is that? Aren't these other issues important enough for the politicos? Where is the public outrage that these things are not being better addressed?

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Sunstone said:
Does it strike you as insane that politicians are able to get elected and reelected without doing a single thing to address the world wide epidemic of abuse?...
I can't speak to other countries, but in America most of our Senators and Representatives get re-elected for bringing home the pork.:eek: Local politicians keep winning because they build roads and promise to get criminals off the streets.

My guess, and that's all it is as I haven't done surveys, is that the abuses you're talking about are seen as 'private' matters that people are afraid to discuss openly. Abortion is a hot button issue because many religious conservatives see it as going against God's wishes.

So, to the question in the thread title, given the system as it operates now, No, I don't find it insane. I do think it's a symptom of a system that isn't working optimally.:sorry1:

evearael

I think part of the reason rape, sexual abuse, and so on, isn't addressed is because of the lingering "blame the victim" attitude.

Ciscokid

I'm not sure which level of Government you're referring to. I don't think the Federal Government has much responsibility in the domestic abuse area. Local politicians however have some responsibility to keep their people safe.

Having said that, I still am not sure that Politicians are to blame for people who abuse other people. That is the job of the local authorities, the community, perhaps the schools etc.

I don't think we need to look to the government to resolve every issue we have...we need to try to handle what we can on our [as a community or society] own. There is quite a bit we can do w/o the politicians or the government getting involved.

Faint

Sunstone said:
Does it strike you as insane that politicians are able to get elected and reelected without doing a single thing to address the world wide epidemic of abuse?
It strikes me as poor leadership. I'm not surprised though. I can't even think of any strong/good leaders currently in the public eye.

Sunstone said:
We all live nowadays in societies in which domestic violence, rape, child abuse, child sexual abuse, abortion, etc. etc. are rampant. But about the only one of those issues that gets any attention from the politicians is abortion. Why is that? Aren't these other issues important enough for the politicos? Where is the public outrage that these things are not being better addressed?
Good question. Why don't politicians (or anyone really...except for daily news reports) want to talk about rape/child abuse? I think that part of the issue is people do not consider it "polite" conversation. Why? Is it that people don't want to admit the reality of this world? Maybe they just haven't looked into the "abyss" long enough. A lot of the people I've talked to (including some RF members) don't seem to realize just how big these problems are. They seem to prefer living in some fantasy world where the villians are few and far between.

No, politicians CAN do something about "private" issues by ramping up EDUCATION, providing FREE self-defense training for women, advertising more escape/support networks, and creating stricter punishments for the guilty.

Ciscokid said:
I don't think we need to look to the government to resolve every issue we have...we need to try to handle what we can on our [as a community or society] own. There is quite a bit we can do w/o the politicians or the government getting involved.
True. But most people are too lazy to fix their communities. They'd rather watch sitcoms and feel bad for the missing children they occasionally hear about on TV, and then forget it and go back to their comfort zone. We need the leaders in charge to put out some real effort to fix things. The apathetic masses will go along with the flow like sheep following the shepard's path.

Inky

I think it's because the people who suffer most from the high incidence of domestic violence, rape, child abuse, etc, are the kind of people who are poorly represented in high levels of decision-making. The main authority groups in the United States (Senators, Supreme Justices etc.) contain about 15% women and 85% men. I doubt much progress will be made on these issues until either people stop thinking of them as "women's problems", or we have more women in power. Not sure what to do on child abuse.

A thought-experiment: When you hear "crime" on the news, the rise or decline of crime, a high level of crime in this or that city, what activities do you associate with the word? The things that come to my mind are theft and murder, and more anonymous forms of rape. Why not domestic abuse and date-rape, since those crimes are just as harmful to the individual and society? Is it just me, or are crimes which are usually committed in the home downplayed (deliberately or otherwise) way more than they should be?

Random

In Ireland, the division of Church and State because of the Catholic sex abuse scandals proved a catalyst for politicians to openly address issues of domestic violence, rape, child abuse, child sexual abuse, abortion and others as a direct part of their platform for election. It is, in fact, one of the healthier aspects of our democracy now. So I would opine that religions has a lot to do with the no-talk hush-hush attitude amongst the elect about "sensitive" issues on which there is no media driven consensus.

That said, there are some brave politicians who addressed them when it wasn't popular to do so. The U.S. and other places need more of them, I think.

lizskid

BANNED
There are no votes in talking aobut abuse. There are votes in talking about rich people's money, hating gays and lesbians, terrorism and other popular topics.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Ciscokid said:
I'm not sure which level of Government you're referring to. I don't think the Federal Government has much responsibility in the domestic abuse area. Local politicians however have some responsibility to keep their people safe.

Having said that, I still am not sure that Politicians are to blame for people who abuse other people. That is the job of the local authorities, the community, perhaps the schools etc.

Not to resolve every issue, certainly, but the gov't surely has a large role to play when it comes to keeping abusers out of society, and things are not working very well in that regard.

I've thought for a long time that our system of jurisprudence needs a good overhaul when it comes to issues surrounding people with mental health problems. We have the option of tossing people in with purely criminal populations, or letting them off free. Isn't there some way we can have a verdict of "Guilty but insane" and keep someone off the streets in a facility designed for people who are dangerously nuts?

These are some of the areas where gov't at federal and state levels have a role to play. They make the laws. They choose the judges sometimes. They fund prisons and other facilities of that sort. They also fund education programmes in schools and elsewhere, counseling and treatment programmes for victims, and that sort of thing.

You can have all the local cops you want to enforce the laws, but if there is no law to contain someone who's about to harm someone, the cops can do nothing. Ask anyone who's had to get a restraining order how "safe" they feel after the fact.

Heck, my business partner tried all the legal angles, and eventually had to call her Sicilian friends to keep herself safe from one of her ex-boyfriends. Her other alternative was to wait for him to come get her, and then kill him in self-defense. As it was, she managed to minimize the damage. He got off with broken arms for having talked back to Guido. The boy just weren't too smart, eh?

Most people don't have those kind of connections, though. They just get to be sitting ducks.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Faint said:
Good question. Why don't politicians (or anyone really...except for daily news reports) want to talk about rape/child abuse? I think that part of the issue is people do not consider it "polite" conversation. Why? Is it that people don't want to admit the reality of this world? Maybe they just haven't looked into the "abyss" long enough. A lot of the people I've talked to (including some RF members) don't seem to realize just how big these problems are. They seem to prefer living in some fantasy world where the villians are few and far between.

I think you have a point here. It's hard to get to people when they're thinking, "oh, that won't happen to me and mine" because I live in a safe neighborhood! Well, the truth is, nowhere is safe.

(I checked out the link to that map of where convicted sex abusers are in my area, and found there was no one nearby, but the nearest person was in this incredibly tony area a few miles away, where I"m sure everyone thinks they're "safe" because they're living in multimillion dollar estates by the golf course.)

I'd add that the issue will not be resolved with a quick bandaid solution, so they'd rather talk about something else that seems more managable. You know, like unfunded fences on the Mexican border. :rolleyes:

No, politicians CAN do something about "private" issues by ramping up EDUCATION, providing FREE self-defense training for women, advertising more escape/support networks, and creating stricter punishments for the guilty.

More treatments for the abused too. They grow up to abuse others. We can stop a lot of that cycle, if we care to.

I think you make an excellent point about education. We did a lot with public service ads and school education in cutting back smoking in this country. I would argue that cutting back on abuse is a far far more important health issue.

True. But most people are too lazy to fix their communities. They'd rather watch sitcoms and feel bad for the missing children they occasionally hear about on TV, and then forget it and go back to their comfort zone. We need the leaders in charge to put out some real effort to fix things. The apathetic masses will go along with the flow like sheep following the shepard's path.

We live in a time with no real shepherds, though. Wolves in sheep's clothing -- those we have in great store.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Sunstone said:

There are laws on the books against all of the things that you mentioned here, what else would you like a politican to do? Also, are you talking local, state, or federal level? Politicians running for federal office shouldn't be concerned with things like crime, drugs,abortian, or gay marriage, those are issues that should be handled at the local and state level. Besides, what makes you think all of these things are more "rampant" now then before? Just because there is 24 hour media coverage of things like this now doesn't mean it wasn't happening before. I'd have to say that many of these crimes are actually down, as victims of these incidents (usually women) are much less afraid to speak up about them then they would have been in generations past.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Speaking of "Abuse"... have you checked out the latest Page scandal in the House? Truly disgusting and it's no wonder that abuse is rampant in America.

ayani

here's what i think: if more money was spent on quality education, health care, wages, mental health services, and child protection services, steps towards redcuing / seriosuly adressing abuse could be taken.

these things need to happen both with community initiative and funding. people in power could be doing more, yes.

Booko

Deviled Hen
NetDoc said:
Speaking of "Abuse"... have you checked out the latest Page scandal in the House? Truly disgusting and it's no wonder that abuse is rampant in America.

I love the sheer hypocrisy of checking into a treatment center and claiming to be an alcoholic, as if that somehow excused the behaviour. Not to mention, there's not a whisper from those close to Foley that he ever had a drinking problem.

But I guess that's what one does these days when caught doing something particularly vile. Check yourself into a treatment center and try for a bit of mercy from the public, while cutting off the press' access. Handy dodge, that.

I was interested this evening to hear comments from Republicans asking for the House leadership, some or all, to step down, as they seem to have taken a "look the other way" approach to this problem.

Politics today is rather like watching a freak show.

Kcnorwood

Sunstone said:

These things have been going on for a very long time & will always continue to be so.
The only difference is that now with the news being about to get there 5 mins after it happpes it just seems like more.

Kcnorwood

gracie said:
here's what i think: if more money was spent on quality education, health care, wages, mental health services, and child protection services, steps towards redcuing / seriosuly adressing abuse could be taken.

these things need to happen both with community initiative and funding. people in power could be doing more, yes.

I've said this another forum, Untill people start taking back this country that will never happen, people are too busy fighting for the scrapes that trickle down.
Remember the Consitution? WE The People I believe as a nation we've lost our way.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
spacemonkey said:
There are laws on the books against all of the things that you mentioned here, what else would you like a politican to do?

You can't think of doing anything other than pass a law against it?

Besides which, you're wrong about laws being on the books. Some states have better laws against these things than other states. For instance, the laws against stalking people don't apply to teenagers in some states.

Also, are you talking local, state, or federal level?

All levels of government.

Politicians running for federal office shouldn't be concerned with things like crime, drugs,abortian, or gay marriage, those are issues that should be handled at the local and state level.

Haven't you noticed that the federal government is involved in those issues?

Besides, what makes you think all of these things are more "rampant" now then before? Just because there is 24 hour media coverage of things like this now doesn't mean it wasn't happening before. I'd have to say that many of these crimes are actually down, as victims of these incidents (usually women) are much less afraid to speak up about them then they would have been in generations past.

Are you seriously suggesting that merely because this epidemic of abuse has been going on for quite some time, we should ignore it? Fantanstic!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Kcnorwood said:
These things have been going on for a very long time & will always continue to be so.
The only difference is that now with the news being about to get there 5 mins after it happpes it just seems like more.

So, are you seriously suggesting that we should ignore these problems because they've been around for a very long time? Good Grief!

Kcnorwood

WOW does everyone on this Fourm jump to concluesions like this?
NO I didnt say that but thats what everyones been doing
I think you need to read the part about We The People again.:D

Ciscokid

What my question is, what should our government do? How do we stop people from abusing other people?

We have hotlines to call when you suspect someone is being mistreated. We have many organizations that care for and reach out to victims of abuse. What more can we do other than read minds and stop crimes before they happen?

I see the problem...I don't see the blame going to politicians.