• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does It Strike You As Insane That...

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Sunstone said:
You can't think of doing anything other than pass a law against it?

Besides which, you're wrong about laws being on the books. Some states have better laws against these things than other states. For instance, the laws against stalking people don't apply to teenagers in some states.

All levels of government.

Haven't you noticed that the federal government is involved in those issues?

Are you seriously suggesting that merely because this epidemic of abuse has been going on for quite some time, we should ignore it? Fantanstic!

1. You asked what our politicans should do, politicans pass laws...I don't want them to ba able to do anything else.

2. Just because they are involved in those things doesn't mean they SHOULD. All of the issues I pointed out are smoke screens that politicans use to distract you from the real issues like the economy and foreign policy.

3. I'm suggesting that it is one of many problems and one that there is little you can do about without precognative abilities, so its better to divert your energy into something more usefull.

Ody

Sunstone said:
Does it strike you as insane that politicians are able to get elected and reelected without doing a single thing to address the world wide epidemic of abuse?

No.

Not really

Hence my infatuation with Anarcho-Syndicalism.

Kcnorwood

I'm not sure what you could do if anything. I think even if the people stopped voting someone would be put into office at every level. It's a tough call Take for instance if you vote as a independant your vote goes torwards someone else.
It doesnt help things the way whole voting system is set up either. Plus whats the point in voting when the other guy has already one your state? I mean your vote doesnt count anymore. I think IF we could change these things it would help. At least it might be a start.:D

Booko

Deviled Hen
Kcnorwood said:
I'm not sure what you could do if anything. I think even if the people stopped voting someone would be put into office at every level. It's a tough call Take for instance if you vote as a independant your vote goes torwards someone else.
It doesnt help things the way whole voting system is set up either. Plus whats the point in voting when the other guy has already one your state? I mean your vote doesnt count anymore. I think IF we could change these things it would help. At least it might be a start.:D
This is semi-fallacious, Kcnorwood. Your vote does "count" even if someone you don't vote for is a shoo-in.

What happens with politicians is they do look at voting results. And when they see opposing votes get closer to votes for them, they take notice, and will act accordingly.

Look what happened in the presidential races when Perot and Anderson took votes away from certain parties. On the local and state level the effect is stronger still.

What would happen if all the dissatisfied voters woke up on election day and went to cast a vote for a 3rd party candidate instead of holding their nose to vote for one of the main party candidates?

The main parties would take notice.

I submit they did take notice after Perot -- that's why there's been such a move in state laws since then to keep 3rd parties out. They know if we get ****** off enough, a 3rd party candidate with some oration skills might actually win.

I myself rarely vote for national-level candidates of either major party. The only thing that drives me to do so is the notion that one of the two candidates is downright dangerous. Then I can hold my nose long enough to do so.

I'd prefer to "waste" my vote on a 3rd party candidate that has no chance of winning, even if I truly dislike him, if only to send a message to those with a lock on power in this country. Voting for either of their candidates just sends them the message that they can keep giving us the royal screw with no possibility of a backlash.

On the local level, I know the politicos better, as in have met them in real life, so it's easier to judge who would be better in a position.

Kcnorwood

When Bush ran in 2004 got 48% of the independent vote & Gore got 37% of the votes & John Mcain got 41% of it, now where are the independents? Lets just say I'm wrong because I might be. The way I understood it was when & independent gets dropped
they get spread out though the remaining two parties
When was the last time a indepedent won or came close to it?
Trust me I'd love to see a independent win! : hamster : : hamster :