• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does Kashmir shaivism use the Vedas as scripture?

trying to figure out which sects use the vedas which don't...
actually If anyone knows of a resource that is comprehensive, shows all of the hard to find hindu sects like Kaumaras and Suryas etyc., indexed to scriptures, that would be REALLy really helpful...

Wannabe Yogi

trying to figure out which sects use the vedas which don't...
actually If anyone knows of a resource that is comprehensive, shows all of the hard to find hindu sects like Kaumaras and Suryas etyc., indexed to scriptures, that would be REALLy really helpful...

One of the most important scriptures in the tradition of Kashmir Shaivsm is the Sri Rudram from the Vedas. All Hindu traditions (that I know of) use at least parts of the Vedas. Unless you define the non-orthodox schools of Indian Philosophy as Hindu. Then it would be the Jains and Buddhists.

Onkara

It is prudent to not contradict the Vedas. The Agama are not vedic. The Tantras come from the Agama and is it the Tantras which Kashmir Saivism draws its influence. Saivism is not limited to Vedic or Tantric scitptures. Saivism appears to straddle all.

There are three schools Abheda, Bhedabheda and Bheda. I am currently interested in Abheda, which refers to the Bhairava Tantras.

On a side topic, it is not required in my opinion, to follow Vedic rituals. One need not contradict them but one is not obliged to follow them, as one might in Abrahamic religions. This implies that as long as one can demonstrate that their philosophy is supported then it is worthy of consideration. The Upanishads are a key influence in Vedanta: Spiritual | Devotional | Religious | Sanatana | Dharma | Hinduism | Scriptures | Shastras | Stotras | Bhagavad Gita | 108 Upanishads | Sankara | Advaita | Veda | Vedic | Vedanta | Bhakti | Mantras | Yoga | Vidya | Divine | Holy | Sacred | Hymns | San

I am afraid I cannot help you with Kaumaras and Suryas.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

If I'm not mistaken, it's a small verse taken from the Vedas, a few lines long.... and they don't use much else from the Vedas?

No, it is a good sized text of eleven hymns. The Sri Rudram is were the mantras Om Namaḥ Sivaya and Aum Namo Bhagavathe Rudraya. Both very importent mantras all who follow Kashmir Shaivism.

Mahamrityunjaya Mantra comes from the Rig Veda.

[youtube]ClxgIS-_X_g[/youtube]
YouTube - Shiva Mahamrityunjaya Mantra

It is not uncommon in Hinduism not to use the Vedas much.

Atman

One of the most important scriptures in the tradition of Kashmir Shaivsm is the Sri Rudram from the Vedas. All Hindu traditions (that I know of) use at least parts of the Vedas. Unless you define the non-orthodox schools of Indian Philosophy as Hindu. Then it would be the Jains and Buddhists.
If I'm not mistaken the Veershaivas and some schools of Tantra do indeed reject the Vedas.

Wannabe Yogi

If I'm not mistaken the Veershaivas and some schools of Tantra do indeed reject the Vedas.

Are they Buddhist schools of Tantra? that would make sense.

I cannot say what is true on this subject concerning all Hindu Tantric schools of thought.

All the schools of Tantra I have studied or read about believe in the Vedas. The oldest known Tantric text Nisvatattva samhita says that Tantra is a mix of Vedanta and Samkhya. The Gandharva Tantra says that anyone who practices a Tantric Sadhana must believe in the Vedas.

yajvan

akṛtrima-aham-vimarśa
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Perhaps I can offer this to the conversation...

In kaśmir śaivism it operates on the notion of the trika ( 3 fold) system. We know this as śiva , śakti and nara. These are the 3 energies of Śiva-Bhairava i.e.
  • parā śakti - considered Supreme energy (śakti)
  • parāparāśakti - considered medium śakti
  • aparāśakti - lower śakti
Within these 3 energies the whole universe and every action ( worldly, mental, physical, spiritual, etc) exists within these 3 śakti-s.

So within kaśmir śaivism and the trika philsophy or trika śaivism is composed of 4 schools of thought:
  • Pratyabhijñā ( SELF recognition),
  • Kula ( grouping and used for 'totality' , Universal Consciousness),
  • Krama ( progress made step-by-step),
  • Spanda ( the throb, movement, SELF-referral of the Divine).
This is the wonderful knowledge that is found in the āgama-s¹. The āgama-s are made up of the following:
  • Bhairava śāstra-s - 64 in number; these are considered non-dual some call monistic; parā
  • Rūdra śāstra-s - 18 in number; these are considered dual-non-dual or mono-dualistic ; parāparā
  • Śiva śāstra-s - 10 in number; these are considered dualistic; aparā
They total 92 śāstra-s that make up the āgama-s , yet some say there are 96. IMHO the best way to know of knowing parā, parāparā & aparā is through the books and śāstra-s that are available today.

praṇām

1. The āgama-s are a broad set of śāstra-s that I have found do not reside in one place…
If someone has this information it would really help many who are studying this most insightful wisdom.

Last edited: