• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does morality come from the scriptures ?

Commoner

Headache
My point is, once you justify that harming someone can lead to good. Where do you draw the line? Suppose I believe that killing my baby will help it because I don't want it to have to experience any of the pains and suffering that this life has? Suppose I want to kill you in order that you don't have to experience that suffering? At what point can we logically draw the line?

The problem with the whole "do unto others as you would have the do unto you" thing is, what if I like being hurt? Should I hurt others? What if I like being alone, is it OK for me to be a ******* then? What if I like hurting other people and don't care that they don't like it? Does that make it OK? What if I see life as survival of the fittest. I do what I can to get the most power, money, stuff, etc. Even if it means killing people, breaking the law, and losing friends...does that mean it's Ok for me to do? If someone kills me and I don't care, should that make it OK for me to kill them?

"Do unto others as you would have the do unto you" - that's not what I was suggesting. It's not as simple as that. We act in a way that minimizes harm. Not only in a way we feel we should be treated, but also in a way we think others would want to be treated. Granted, we start from looking at ourselfs, but that's just the first step, we also learn from example, we learn in the process of socialization and so on, we empathize with other people...

No, it's not ok for you to kill people. But, yes, I imagine if you didn't value your own life and well-being or the life of others, you would find it ok to do immoral things. You'd still have to have some sort of motivation, but that's besides the point, I think. We do have laws to remove such people from society, so they cannot harm others. It's not an ideal solution, but there you have it.

What is your explanation of morality then?

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
"Do unto others as you would have the do unto you" - that's not what I was suggesting. It's not as simple as that. We act in a way that minimizes harm. Not only in a way we feel we should be treated, but also in a way we think others would want to be treated. Granted, we start from looking at ourselfs, but that's just the first step, we also learn from example, we learn in the process of socialization and so on, we empathize with other people...

No, it's not ok for you to kill people. But, yes, I imagine if you didn't value your own life and well-being or the life of others, you would find it ok to do immoral things. You'd still have to have some sort of motivation, but that's besides the point, I think. We do have laws to remove such people from society, so they cannot harm others. It's not an ideal solution, but there you have it.

What is your explanation of morality then?

I think that morality is ideal when people believe it comes from God. That way, whether I agree or disagree, I am not free to act as I please. Morality from God is enforceable. Because those who believe will say "This is how those who believe shall act according to God. Those who don't act that way have the option of either leaving our society or being forcefully removed."

I think it works better. The problem is getting people to believe that morality comes from God.

ayani

morality can come from scriptural guide lines.

morality is also something we have the capacity to understand and live out to varying degrees, based upon the simple fact that we have a conscience. most humans have a sense of what is good, cruel, selfless, admirable, wicked, and shameful. the basis for understanding these things may vary culturally, but basically some things can be understood universally as being "good" and being "bad".

a general sense of morality and standards of decency and propriety are something we can definately obtain and work out via our innate, God-given capacity to tell right from wrong. but specific revelation as to what God's standards are and what He expects from His people is scripturally something we can know only in so much as God has specifically revealed these things, via His inspired messengers, prophets, and Word.

Commoner

Headache
I think that morality is ideal when people believe it comes from God. That way, whether I agree or disagree, I am not free to act as I please. Morality from God is enforceable. Because those who believe will say "This is how those who believe shall act according to God. Those who don't act that way have the option of either leaving our society or being forcefully removed."

I think it works better. The problem is getting people to believe that morality comes from God.

But that doesn't mean they are moral, that just means they follow certain rules. If you think such rules exist, create laws. Where's the need for god (or even a belief in god) there?

How are we free to act as we please if we don't believe in god/that morality comes from god? Can you give me one practical example?

Do you believe the 613+ commandments in the Torah offer such a framework?

Last edited:

Kerr

Because someone does not derive their morality from a deity, it does not mean they act as they wish. This is also contradicted by all the atheists that live good and moral lives, and by all the people who believe in God and are very immoral. Not saying atheists are more moral, saying the belief in God has nothing to do with how moral the person in question is.

Besides, if the deity you follow has a bad moral code that promotes rape, murder and pedophilia, deciding to turn away is the right choice (not saying your God is this, by the way, just an illustration and nothing more then that).

ThereIsNoSpoon

This is true.
I am wondering a bit now because in my definition of morals the examples you gave would not be present (like reading torah, following the sabbath etc.).

But lets continue..
The only problem I have with such a system is...why would we care about harming or being beneficial to others? Or in essence, how can you enforce such a moral system? In my opinion, you can't logically enforce such an opinion because there are times when harming someone could be both "good" and "bad" (IE giving a child a shot--which harms the child but allows it to be vaccinated).
I think these are two different things.

Lets start with the second.
Of course there are conflicts when it is not clear on what to do.
Should i vaccinate a child or not, should i kill someone in order to save 50 others? etc.

Logically speaking it is simple to solve that by stating that the greater benefit justifies lesser harm. Studies have shown though that it is not always what we do.
Still i think it is a logical choice that one CAN make. We cant force people to be moral and i think it is an illusion to think (as some do) that religion would enforce them to be moral.

As for the first part.
Well i propose the anthropic principle here.
Think of it this way. IF we had been a species without morals, then we wouldnt actually still exist. I argue that a species where murder, theft and rape is not only tolerated but even seen as good will get extinct.
Moral values, especially helping those that are next to you are essential to the species survival. In a world where one cant survive alone it is important to get the assistence of others which in turn expect your assistence. This is especially valid for family and small tribes where one sees and depends on the other every day.

Notice that i spoke about harming or benefitting "others".
The initial biological and evolutionary moral steps include as "others" only "others from amongst your kind". Classically we have an "ingroup" versus "outgroup" behaviour. And this can be found in scriptures as well with the group of the believers (adhering to the same religion) always being treated and regarded differently from the others.
In my version of morals however these "others" have become "all others" as humanity in my view has expanded beyond tribes and family.

ThereIsNoSpoon

We do punish people that behave criminally with or without a god.
Any country has laws about crimes.

I claim however that people that only behave morally because they fear God (or the law) are not actually moral.

In any case however the real question is a different one:
"Does it come from God or not?"
If it doesnt come from him then one shouldnt believe it does.
If it comes from him then surely one should believe it does.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
But that doesn't mean they are moral, that just means they follow certain rules. If you think such rules exist, create laws. Where's the need for god (or even a belief in god) there?

How are we free to act as we please if we don't believe in god/that morality comes from god? Can you give me one practical example?
Logically, you can't really justify the enforcement of morality unless you have an accepted social contract. In that scenario, you will always have a minority that is oppressed.

Do you believe the 613+ commandments in the Torah offer such a framework?
What do you mean? I'm not sure what "such a framework" you are talking about.

Because someone does not derive their morality from a deity, it does not mean they act as they wish. This is also contradicted by all the atheists that live good and moral lives, and by all the people who believe in God and are very immoral. Not saying atheists are more moral, saying the belief in God has nothing to do with how moral the person in question is.
I didn't say that. In essence, I'm saying that without a God, I can logically justify "immoral" behavior. With a God, the rules are the rules and they don't change and therefore immoral behavior is not justifiable.

Logically speaking it is simple to solve that by stating that the greater benefit justifies lesser harm. Studies have shown though that it is not always what we do.
Still i think it is a logical choice that one CAN make. We cant force people to be moral and i think it is an illusion to think (as some do) that religion would enforce them to be moral.
I agree that we cannot force people to be moral (well, we can, but it's not necessarily justifiable). However, I think that with religion, it is easier to justify forcing moral behavior. For instance, I can justify to myself that it is OK to kill someone that is trying to kill an innocent person. If I am walking down the street and see Johnny trying to kill Sally and Sally is screaming "No! Please! Stop it Johnny!", under those circumstances I could religiously justify to myself the need to kill Johnny.

However, if I were an Atheist , I don't think I could find a logical self-justification for stopping Johnny by killing him, or even by using force, and still remaining consistent with my moral system.

I think my point is in the area of self-justifying. I feel that in a Non-Theistic system, it is difficult to be consistent with what you believe and enforce morality at the same time.

For instance, someone said "Whatever harms someone else, that is bad." So it would be bad to kill Johnny to stop him from murdering Sally. Even if good results.

Whereas for me, my religion provides a law in which we are permitted to kill someone who is trying to murder an innocent person. Therefore if I do so, I am still consistent in what I believe in.

As for the first part.
Well i propose the anthropic principle here.
Think of it this way. IF we had been a species without morals, then we wouldnt actually still exist. I argue that a species where murder, theft and rape is not only tolerated but even seen as good will get extinct.
Moral values, especially helping those that are next to you are essential to the species survival. In a world where one cant survive alone it is important to get the assistence of others which in turn expect your assistence. This is especially valid for family and small tribes where one sees and depends on the other every day.

Notice that i spoke about harming or benefitting "others".
The initial biological and evolutionary moral steps include as "others" only "others from amongst your kind". Classically we have an "ingroup" versus "outgroup" behaviour. And this can be found in scriptures as well with the group of the believers (adhering to the same religion) always being treated and regarded differently from the others.
In my version of morals however these "others" have become "all others" as humanity in my view has expanded beyond tribes and family.
I can agree with that.

In any case however the real question is a different one:
"Does it come from God or not?"
If it doesnt come from him then one shouldnt believe it does.
If it comes from him then surely one should believe it does.

Indeed. I believe that religious systems of morality (generally) are morally superior and more complex systems then one that is based on "Whatever harms someone else is evil, whatever helps someone else is good, and the rest s neutral."

Commoner

Headache
Logically, you can't really justify the enforcement of morality unless you have an accepted social contract. In that scenario, you will always have a minority that is oppressed.

I might be misinterpreting, but are you equating morality to laws? How would you not need a social contract if you "introduce" god?

What do you mean? I'm not sure what "such a framework" you are talking about.

Well, you seem to be under the impression that a set of rules exist that state what is moral/immoral. An if you believe in god, you (should) follow these rules. Are these rules represented by the commandments? If not, where are they?

I didn't say that. In essence, I'm saying that without a God, I can logically justify "immoral" behavior. With a God, the rules are the rules and they don't change and therefore immoral behavior is not justifiable.

There are no rules that can be made that can be applied to any situation. There are "principles" that can help us in moral dilemas. If you know of one such rule - that could be applied absolutely, please let me know. Are you saying there are moral absolutes?

With god, you can justify logically immoral behaviour. Look at all the people blowing themselves up and shouting "god is great". How can you explain that? Wrong god? They don't seem to think so.

I agree that we cannot force people to be moral (well, we can, but it's not necessarily justifiable). However, I think that with religion, it is easier to justify forcing moral behavior. For instance, I can justify to myself that it is OK to kill someone that is trying to kill an innocent person. If I am walking down the street and see Johnny trying to kill Sally and Sally is screaming "No! Please! Stop it Johnny!", under those circumstances I could religiously justify to myself the need to kill Johnny.
However, if I were an Atheist , I don't think I could find a logical self-justification for stopping Johnny by killing him, or even by using force, and still remaining consistent with my moral system.

Are you serious? You need religion to tell you that? Then stick with your religion, please!

Human beings have empathy. We feel empathy to different degrees (for instance, more strongly towards our family, our children - and therefore children in general...). You can clearly see that harm is being done to Sally. You know how she feels and you know you would want somebody to stop Johnny if you were in her position. You might not know exactly why he's hurting her, but you can be pretty sure that if you were trying to kill Sally, you would want to be stopped no matter what your motives were. How could you logically justify not stopping him?

And even if my explanation is rather crude and incomplete, even if I can't really explain why I would act the way I would, how does "god" help at all.

Standup Philosopher

Stand Up Philosopher
Following rules is the kindergarten of morality. "If I do it, I'll get a whipping."
Graduate school is not rules but the principle based on love that Jesus told us:

Love God, love yourself, love your neighbor as yourself. Higher, more difficult, and it covers all the bases. We want to complicate it so we don't actually have to do it.

We don't need to be told not to kill our neighbor, or take his wife or property, if we love him.

Kerr

That is a personal issue, not one many atheists share in my experience. Deity or no deity, what matters is what kind of a person we are and what kind of values we have. Immoral behaviour, such as stealing, is immoral and therefor wrong. It can be justified in some situations, like killing to directly protect the life of an innocent. The world is not black and white, sometimes the alternative to a crime is worse then the crime itself.

I think my point is in the area of self-justifying. I feel that in a Non-Theistic system, it is difficult to be consistent with what you believe and enforce morality at the same time.

For instance, someone said "Whatever harms someone else, that is bad." So it would be bad to kill Johnny to stop him from murdering Sally. Even if good results.

Whereas for me, my religion provides a law in which we are permitted to kill someone who is trying to murder an innocent person. Therefore if I do so, I am still consistent in what I believe in.
What is the best moral option, to kill someone holding the trigger of a gun or letting the person staring at the guns pipe? God or no God, we are justified to kill to protect the life of an innocent. The reason is quite simple, people matter. Their life matters. Sallys life matters, and considering the situation her life becomes the priority because she is innocent.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
The world is not black and white, sometimes the alternative to a crime is worse then the crime itself... The reason is quite simple, people matter. Their life matters. Sallys life matters, and considering the situation her life becomes the priority because she is innocent.

I agree. However, it's not consistent within the context of the system. And I think a system that is consistent is better than a system that isn't. Especially if the outcome is the same as far as morals go.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Morality comes to play during 'real life', although its always possible to get inspiration from world scriptures. after all scriptures at large give the account of sometimes enlightened people, and how they have dealt with various realities.

Kerr

I agree. However, it's not consistent within the context of the system. And I think a system that is consistent is better than a system that isn't. Especially if the outcome is the same as far as morals go.
Actually it is, it is just harder to put the moral system in words then a moral system based on authority. In one they have to be a reason, in the other it just have to be given by the authority... or God, if you prefer.

Besides, all moral systems must be able to deal with exceptions and dilemmas. Some do it by treating them as such, as exceptions to the rules (you are not allowed to do this, however in this or that situation it can be justified). Others use priorities (to protect an innocent life has more priority then not to kill). Another way to do it is to deny all black and white, and just go hard core (if it does not follow the rules, do not do it, whatever it is). In a way what you are speaking about is the last one, since it means one must follow rules, while the others are more flexible, for good and bad.

Last edited:

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Actually it is, it is just harder to put the moral system in words then a moral system based on authority. In one they have to be a reason, in the other it just have to be given by the authority... or God, if you prefer.

Besides, all moral systems must be able to deal with exceptions and dilemmas. Some do it by treating them as such, as exceptions to the rules (you are not allowed to do this, however in this or that situation it can be justified). Others use priorities (to protect an innocent life has more priority then not to kill). Another way to do it is to deny all black and white, and just go hard core (if it does not follow the rules, do not do it, whatever it is). In a way what you are speaking about is the last one, since it means one must follow rules, while the others are more flexible, for good and bad.

In a system where everything is addressed, there is no need for flexibility.

ThereIsNoSpoon

Why not?

If you believe in morals then there is no problem with that.

Of course you are right using that limited credo. In reality of course we are always balancing things out and i think I mentioned that already. We are balancing between the evils and good that we do.
For example if Sally is being killed by Johnny and we do nothing then we actually DO something. We let harm happen. If we stop Johnny we harm him but safe her. Now the question is simply which is the greater harm and (in my view) obviously forcing Johnny to stop is the lesser harm, especially since he (by starting to commit moral evil) is less "worth" in the calculation than Sally anyway.

Thats not different from non theists.
You see all societies regardless of the religion they adhere to have such morals. If they only came from religion, especially the abrahmitic ones then one would expect this behavior not to be present in lets say "Zululand".
Yet it is.

I can agree with that.
Well then you have agreed on the idea that morals obviously had to evolve anyway.

Indeed. I believe that religious systems of morality (generally) are morally superior and more complex systems then one that is based on "Whatever harms someone else is evil, whatever helps someone else is good, and the rest s neutral."
Of course morals are more complex than my simple rule. I mean i wrote that down in a forum in some 2 minutes. What would you expect.
Generally however I think stating what you stated above means that you either haven't read all the morals in your scripture OR that you pick and choose. For instance something as
1 Corinthians
14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
is in my view not moral. The only way to declare scripture as moral is
a) to actually believe such statements are moral
b) to not know of such statements
c) to "interpret" such statements differently than what they actually (literally) state.