• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does religion require action?

Ozzie

Are religious beliefs held privately more accurately personal philosophy in the absence of action that demonstrates those religious beliefs. Conversely, are philosophical stances with respect to religion held privately converted to religion when acted upon?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on the religion and philosphy, some of both require action, and others do not...

My religion requries action...

Ozzie

Depends on the religion and philosphy, some of both require action, and others do not...

My religion requries action...
I don't think it "depends". Does any religion not require action? Is any philosophy acted upon not based on belief? Is there an example of a religion giving rise to written expression that does not require physical/behavioural enactment?

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ozie,
As religion is merely a PATH or a WAY one surely has to follow the path or way and that calls upon some *ACTION*.
Merely thinking about them is not making any progress.
Yes, even total *submission* or allowing things to happen in its totality is also an action.

Love & rgds

Ozzie

Yes, even total *submission* or allowing things to happen in its totality is also an action.
Merely thinking about them is not making any progress
. Lets not confuse the issue here. I'm defining action as physical, not mental.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Well, my religion teaches that not doing action is literally impossible. Even thinking, you're doing an action. Therefore, there is an entire yoga dedicated around action: Karma Yoga, or Yoga through Selfless Service.

footprints

Are religious beliefs held privately more accurately personal philosophy in the absence of action that demonstrates those religious beliefs. Conversely, are philosophical stances with respect to religion held privately converted to religion when acted upon?

Everybody has private beliefs and a philosophy to life. Sometimes these beliefs are adhered to, sometimes they are just beliefs that they would like to see happen, and sometimes just during the course of natural life, sometimes for intelligence sake or just to please a loved one, a person may even go against their own beliefs.

Whatever your personal beliefs and philosophy of life is, May all enjoy a wonderful and safe, New Year.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ozzie,

Well, *submission* means *willfullness* on someone's part is also an ACTION.
Now, it is left to you to choose what you wish to accept as have mentioned both physical and mental ACTIONS.

Love & rgds

Just_me_Mike

I believe in a universe that consists of nothing but matter and energy, everything is in motion and everything is acting. If something is not in action it is dead, but even then the dead become something else, and are still acting.

So when a person has philosophy or religion, it will ALWAYS manifest either in a personal way or could graduate into a group teaching and on into a way of life teaching that may attract a following.

So yes, religion much like everything else in the universe requires action, movement, energy, or better said life.

Archer

Crap you seem to have formulated this question in a way that it can not be answered in totality.

Are religious beliefs held privately more accurately personal philosophy in the absence of action that demonstrates those religious beliefs. No, faith is an action as the brain burns calories. On a broader level only considering the action, being only physical, the answer is still no, we all wrap our lives around something, a philosophy if you will, and most believers philosophies are based on faith and religious texts.

Conversely, are philosophical stances with respect to religion held privately converted to religion when acted upon? Actions are carried out in a way not to go against ones religion.

Is that what you were looking for?