• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Salvation by Faith Make Sense to You?

Grandliseur

That's the nature of faith, by which one can equally well (or poorly) support any idea or its polar opposite
The world at large forget that before Webster's dictionary, and others, the Bible's definition of faith does give evidence, work with evidence!
1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.​
When our scientific experiments, HLC, etc. provide evidence for 'things not seen' we believe that these things demonstrated by experiments exist. In this there is a large similarity between the Christian faith and this experimental faith the demonstrates what is not seen.

When on top of that we have archaeology, and Biblical books verified, the Book of Daniel, etc., our faith has a secure anchor in which our hopes and promises are attached.

Vee

Premium Member
Does it make sense to you that a deity would be so concerned with whether or not someone had faith in him that he would make faith necessary for salvation? Why or why not?

Only if people's actions reflect that faith. Saying "I have faith" doesn't mean anything without the corresponding actions. Like it says in James 2:17 "Faith by itself, without works, is dead".

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does it make sense to you that a deity would be so concerned with whether or not someone had faith in him that he would make faith necessary for salvation? Why or why not?
It makes as much sense to me as a person who goes to school expecting to be taught. Learning what is being taught leads to a diploma. If he goes to school with no expectation he will not graduate. Faith in God is the expectation that God will lead me for good and not for bad. To me salvation just means to be led. It isn't about the destination as much as it is about the journey.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Since God is definitely not perceived with the 5 senses faith seems to be the only option.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
No.

It makes no sense at all.

A child born with it's brain outside it's skull.....I could list so many degenerative disorders of childhood development which would logically conclude that such a child, in traditional religious sense, could never understand the concept of faith.
That baby also has no concept of sin thus never committed any.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Salvation makes no sense to me at all, the whole concept seems messed up from start to finish.
On one hand it is a free gift and on the the other it is a sort of reward.
It seems to be related to sin. which itself can be annulled, and not counted.
It is also a free ticket or way to get into God's presence, for simply believing that Jesus is God.

Then again when is it handed out? When you first believe? when you die? or at the end of times and the second coming? or is it just a promissory note?
what do you get for your money, that you would not get anyway, when your sins are weighed?

Faithofchristian

It does if you have understanding , what it means, Salvation by Faith

Faith comes by hearing the word of God, and hearing the word of God, comes Salvation. Go Figure

atanu

Premium Member

Why do we think that the Deity considers faith in him necessary for grant of salvation? Has the Deity pronounced thus?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Yes it does, because salvation is based on a promise.

Romans 4:14 For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless,
That's not a basis for faith, just a statement that the faith that is there is meaningful.

Do you have a basis for it?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I read a good book once, called "A Brief History of Thought," by a French philosopher and professor of philosophy, Luc Ferry. In it he explains salvation in a way that makes much sense, at least to this uneducated whelp. Salvation stems from the foundational question at the heart of all philosophy: "Why do I have to die?!" Mankind's solutions have developed in different directions, from posing answers to the question based on its face value to appealing to its component bits, particularly the 'I' bit. Simplifying the story... faith in something greater has always been there--a concept, like a ship, swept along through time by Hegelian waves of thought--but its shape changes as the shape of that 'I' has changed over the course of humanity; and when it arrives at the 'I' based on newly developed ideas of "individualism," and subsequently "liberty," it has attained "personal" salvation. That's where personal faith becomes necessary, because its now up to each individual to find their own way to God. (That's also where humanism becomes possible.)

To answer your question, it's not about the deity and what they want--it never has been. Our salvation is about us. The ontological framework we settle into paints what our salvation will look like, and the strength of our epistemological model determines our capacity to free that 'I' from that ontological box.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe God has a way for a person to walk for a fulfilling, happy, and secure life. Other people are walking the same way. There is only one holy highway. One universe, one Earth. Get it? So, not anyone can walk on it because there are other people on it. The other people on it must care about all the people who are on it. How is it possible? Faith.

Etritonakin

Faith is what will allow for the entire universe to be inhabited and also be free of conflict.
All will obey universal law in faith -which allows them to be governed by one capable of managing all aspects of the universe while not having to be controlled or micromanaged.

Faith is not simply belief -and it is actually not blind belief.
It is evidence and substance of things hoped for and not seen, but more like the way a blind person is able to see and know in other ways.

"The righteous shall LIVE BY faith."

"To have faith, one must believe that God exists and rewards those who diligently seek him."

Faith allows for actions which fear does not.
Fear often causes us to choose the lesser of two evils.
Living by faith is choosing to obey God regardless of immediate circumstance or threat.
It is knowing that God will either prevent that which they fear or threatens them now (like Daniel in the lion's den) -or nullify later that which he does not prevent, but allows temporarily for a purpose (like Christ being crucified, prophets being killed, persecution and martyrdom, etc.)

Those who live by faith now will be made immortal kings and priests who will reign with Christ after the first resurrection -for the first thousand years on earth and then beyond -because they will have already become strong in obeying the law which will make things wonderful.

Those who break the law in fear or otherwise because circumstance tells them it is less problematic for them in the short term will eventually have to learn otherwise.
Such are corruptible -and not yet the sort which can be trusted to inherit the creation as children of God without allowing the sort of situations we see now on earth.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Completely!

It reminds me of a marriage where there are promised of faith "until death do us part etc". Every covenant declaration is a faith statement for the shalom (salvation) of that marriage.

MonkeyFire

Belief isn't just trust, it's hope, and a wish. Truly believing it in itself is the key, LOVE does the rest.

whirlingmerc

Belief isn't just trust, it's hope, and a wish. Truly believing it in itself is the key, LOVE does the rest.

If you mean wishful thinking I would not articulate saving faith that way

Belief is having the data, knowing it's true and loving and leaning on it.
Hope is pictured as a helmet and seems a mere wish is not much of a helmet as a conviction of a truth would be I do agree that saving faith has a fruit of faith working itself out in love

Demons believe and temple and that is not saving faith