• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Satan Plant Wicked Thoughts In People's Minds?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is Satan the one who plants wicked thoughts in people's minds?

If so, do just some or do all wicked thoughts come from Satan?

If not, where do wicked thoughts come from?

If so, how can you tell that a wicked thought comes from Satan?

What is implied in the notion that Satan is the one who plants wicked thoughts in people's minds?

What sort of model of human nature or human psychology does such a notion imply?

What sort of model of evil or wickedness does such a notion imply?

Do you think it's likely the notion Satan is the one who plants wicked thoughts in people's minds originated in the experience of psychosis or perhaps some other disorder?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Oh, this is a serious thread. Dang. After reading the title I was all set and raring to go on a SNL Church Lady tangent....

I used to believe that Satan could influence my thoughts when I was tempted to do something bad. Now that I look back I can't believe how silly it sounds now.

If there is a God and he created our minds with an outlet for Satan to get in.....how cruel is that?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I used to believe that Satan could influence my thoughts when I was tempted to do something bad. Now that I look back I can't believe how silly it sounds now.

When you believed that, how did you imagine Satan influenced your thoughts? Did you imagine that he planted wicked thoughts in your head? Or that he twisted good thoughts into bad ones? Or that he did something else?

KingM

I think humans are perfectly capable of coming up with evil thoughts without their needing to be planted there by Satan. Similarly, humans are capable of stupendous accomplishments, be they great acts of charity, art, sport, or music, without needing to give God the credit.

.lava

Veteran Member
Hi,

yes, it's demons' business but it is your responsibility to accept what it says or not.

negative inspiration always come from Satan.

mind is silent. you stay inbetween two voices. one tries to inspire you with negative thoughts and the other tries to inspire you with positive thoughts. you can maintain silence in your mind for a while. yet those two would start to fight again. (I can tell cos) there is no other source to give wicked thoughts. it is only evil.

What sort of model of human nature or human psychology does such a notion imply?

we can't see demons because there are energy. if we could see none of us would follow them. they imitate our inner voices. we believe it is ourselves who's thinking. but it is satan whispering. if satan wasnot around to inspire people then there wouldnot be bad people. we wouldnot have freewill either. there would be a need for freewill. people are weak, ignorant (i donot mean shcool degrees here) and therefor easy to seduce. whisper of Satan seduces people.

satan hates human kind because he knows even if he didnot seduce people he would go to (the deepest level of) hell because he became rebel to God when Adam(PBUH) was created. there's no turning back for him. he knows that and he takes his revenge like this, seducing people as many as possible so they would go hell just like him.

Do you think it's likely the notion Satan is the one who plants wicked thoughts in people's minds originated in the experience of psychosis or perhaps some other disorder?

being hesitant, unstable, indecisive, paranoid, schizophrenic, becoming alienated...etc these are all very common results of being inspired by satan.

KingM

Again, why is Satan necessary? If a dog turns mean and bites someone, is that Satan? If you come across a bad-tempered horse, is this Satan?

People are perfectly capable of being bad or good without bringing Satan into the picture.

LogDog

It's strange how Satan seems to reserve his power to harass only those who accept his nemesis as their savior. Go figure.

TurkeyOnRye

Wicked thoughts do not come from Satan because Satan does not exist. Well...at least his existence is as likely as any other thing. Like unicorns, minotaurs and flying reindeer.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I do not believe wicked thoughts come from Satan mainly because I do not believe in wicked thoughts. I don't believe in good ones either. I believe that thoughts are neutral, neither good nor bad. We may have thoughts we do like and thoughts we don't like and thoughts also cause certain emotional reactions but in the end they are just thoughts and only have power over us if we give them power through our actions and by dwelling on them. If you think about killing someone it doesn't mean that the person is going to drop dead in front of you. He only drops dead if you act on that thought. But if you don't like the thought then simply acknowledge that it is only a thought and that thoughts do not control you unless you let them. Then let the thought go and think of something else more pleasant. Thoughts can be about good things and about bad things but that does not make the thoughts themselves good or bad, same as a book being about good things or about bad things does not make the BOOK good or bad.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I believe Satan and his lackeys can be influential.

I believe Satan influences our thoughts but we can choose whether we entertain those thoughts.

I don't expect anyone to understand but I've always known when Satan is tormenting me.

What is implied in the notion that Satan is the one who plants wicked thoughts in people's minds?

That Satan is a jerk...interested in grabbing our attention...shifting it away from where it should be focused.

The human mind isn't tamper proof.

I don't know. Evil just sucks...

Phychologically challenged individuals can be easy prey.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
When you believed that, how did you imagine Satan influenced your thoughts? Did you imagine that he planted wicked thoughts in your head? Or that he twisted good thoughts into bad ones? Or that he did something else?
We were taught through sermons, Sunday School lessons or just everyday conversation that Satan was an actual created being who had access to your thoughts and could influence your decisions. We were told he has access to every person's mind on planet earth.....he's nearly as powerful as God himself I suppose! We were taught Satan can influence events in your life as well.

Consider the conversation between God and Satan about Job, God's faithful servant in regard to Satan's power...

Job's First Test
6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"
Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."
8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."

9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."

12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."

Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

Of course we all probably remember that Job persevered until the end without blaming God for his travails. This passage is to show that God does allow Satan to influence our world, Job just so happened to be an extremely rare person who rose above it all.

Jesus himself said this in regard to Satan (or the Devil) John 8:42-44

The Children of the Devil
42Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

We also read that Satan tempted even Jesus.....Matthew 4:1-4

The Temptation of Jesus
1Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. 2After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread." 4Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.

Here's a verse spoken by Jesus that clearly shows Satan is a tempter of our thoughts.....Mark 4:13-17

13Then Jesus said to them, "Don't you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable? 14The farmer sows the word. 15Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. 16Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy. 17But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away.

As you can see from just a small sampling of bible verses, we were taught that Satan is a sentient, powerful being who can definitely influence, tempt, or discourage a person during our lifetime on earth.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Please define "Satan" and "wicked". As Satan does not in fact exist in terms that we mean when we say something has existence or is "alive". That being the case it is unreasonable to ascribe this so-called "Satan" as the source of "wicked thoughts", but once again, what exactly is a wicked thought?

Slice it as you may, the result is still somewhat arbitrary and therefore meaningless in the long run.

If not, where do wicked thoughts come from?
I don't have so-called "wicked" thoughts Sunstone, do you?"

It can come from imagination and willfull belief in suppositions that have no concrete basis in reality.

Aside from an utter lacking of understanding how the human animal's mind works, such designations tell us little about reality but a great deal about the mental outlook of the believer.

A gross misunderstanding of reality on the most basic, fundamental levels. There is simply no polite way to put it.

Absolutely. IF, and it is a rather large IF, we could trace back the first ramblings about such creatures of the imagination we would arrive a sources that would keep teams of psychologists and psychiatrists happily employed for a very long time. Doubly so for the fruitcakes over time who have claimed that they spoke for their "invisible friend" (aka "god").

Popeyesays

Okay, I give up, Sunstone. Are you postulating a seperate entity as "Satan"? Are you suggesting that "satan" is an internal part of our own consciousness? Are you suggesting "ssatan" is just a part of our internal monologue--an expression of our own conscious self?

Gotta know that before I can comment.

Regads,
Scott

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I'm curious to know how a thought could be wicked to begin with. They don't hurt anyone, and unless you act on them or tell someone else no one knows about them but you.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
I think human beings should take responsibility for their own thoughts.

If a supernatural being puts "evil" ideas in a person's head, shouldn't the person get a little more slack come time for his god to judge him?
Had there not been a satan to put ideas in his head, he might have been a better person.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
If a supernatural being puts "evil" ideas in a person's head, shouldn't the person get a little more slack come time for his god to judge him?
Had there not been a satan to put ideas in his head, he might have been a better person.
Exactly. According to some in the Christian world not only are we supposed to discern the voice of the Holy Spirit but also Satan as well.....all the while without seeing them or having any definitive proof they exist. How the heck are we supposed to know?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Okay, I give up, Sunstone. Are you postulating a seperate entity as "Satan"? Are you suggesting that "satan" is an internal part of our own consciousness? Are you suggesting "ssatan" is just a part of our internal monologue--an expression of our own conscious self?

Gotta know that before I can comment.

Regads,
Scott

Good questions, Scott! The OP was inspired by someone who said in another thread that Satan is the one who plants wicked thoughts in ones mind. I can't say for sure, but I think he believed Satan to be a separate entity.

rojse

RF Addict
I think that people need to claim responsibility for their own actions. If you do bad things it is your fault, if you do good things, it is your fault, too.

You can claim mitigating circumstances for the bad things you do, which can help explain the reasoning behind your actions, but you are still responsible for your actions. You cannot blame mythical entities on your actions.

Ozzie

Little kids are thought to be spiritually pure and I think that idea is instructive here. All of us weatherbeaten oldies have a developed schema of how the world ought to operate. Sometimes we see or hear things that rock our boat and make us react with thoughts that tend towards an evil response. Very hard to criticise an "evil" reaction pattern because all of it is biologically imprinted as possible response patterns to what we experience.

Lisa S

Since Satan (like god) does not exist, the answer is NO. I'm sure it is much easier to blame an imaginary man for all of your own mistakes, but I for one think people should take responsibility for their own actions.

(opps... I read Rojse post after I submitted mine)