• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the bible contain false doctrine?

Does the bible contain false doctrine?

• Yes--a lot

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Yes--a little

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • No, Not at all

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • Other...

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters

hanif

sojourner said:
How is that "false doctrine?" The story is obviously metaphorical. Does it not speak to the truth that we all wrestle with God in the dark? And just when we think we've got God cornered, God plays the trump card? What's false about that?
OF COURSE IT IS FALSE.NO ONE CAN WRESTLE WITH GOD.
GOD IS ALLMIGHTY AND ALLPOWER.THIS STORY WAS TAKEN FROM BABYLONIAN MYTHS,
67.They made not a just estimate of Allâh such as is due to Him. And on the Day of Resurrection the whole of the earth will be grasped by His Hand and the heavens will be rolled up in His Right Hand. Glorified is He, and High is He above all that they associate as partners with Him! ZUMAR
YOU DONT KNOW POWER OF GOD.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
hanif said:
OF COURSE IT IS FALSE.NO ONE CAN WRESTLE WITH GOD.
GOD IS ALLMIGHTY AND ALLPOWER.THIS STORY WAS TAKEN FROM BABYLONIAN MYTHS,
67.They made not a just estimate of Allâh such as is due to Him. And on the Day of Resurrection the whole of the earth will be grasped by His Hand and the heavens will be rolled up in His Right Hand. Glorified is He, and High is He above all that they associate as partners with Him! ZUMAR
YOU DONT KNOW POWER OF GOD.

You didn't anser my question. In what way does a metaphorical story constitute false doctrine?

Open your eyes. People wrestle with God all the time, every day. A loved one dies. The question? "Why? Why did you do this to me, God?" Someone with a moral dilemma -- does he not "wrestle with God?"

The whole idea of "wrestling with God" is a metaphor. It makes no difference that the metaphor was borrowed from Bablonian myth, or Auntie Griselda's demented rantings from the nursing home. It's a powerful metaphor, and it works.

Do we not prevail against God all the time? God wills that we do one thing, for example, God wants us to love our neighbor, but yet we start a war. and does God not provide some token of pain and suffering that we have striven with God in those cases?

SoliDeoGloria

Since Romas 6: 1-2 is a single statement how can the first half be "wrong doctrine"?

Because the first verse is a rhetorical question given because of an actual false doctrine being spread around at the time. Hence the question mark at the end of the sentence. Verse two gives an answer to the rhetorical question with another rhetorical question added to the answer to demonstrate why the answer in verse two is correct. Despite your belief that these verses make up one statement, there is a good reason why puncuation was added to these verses the way it was.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

sushannah

Not all people are thinking about the same books when you use the word Bible. Many people believe only Tanakh (OT) is valid, while others believe the Tanakh plus the Greek Testament, still others believe in both of these plus the Book of Mormon. Then there is the Koran, etc.
The question needs to be clarified before it can be answered.

Deut 13:1

waldo said:
Many speak of how the bible has been changed so much over the centuries. So i have one question for you.
Does the Bible itslef contain any false doctrine? (assuming it's iterpreted correctly)
i ask this because i think slight errors don't matter as long as it's message stays true.
The bible isn't a single book, but a collection of different books, so you need to go into more detail.. Does the book of Mark contain false doctrine? Yes, I believe so, does Deuteronomy? no. State which books you want to chat about.

mehrosh

No doubt Bible is from God, but there are human changes in it, the prove of human changes in the Old Testements...Jeremiah 8:8 in which it says, "how can you we are wise, when we have the law of the Lord, when the LYING pen of the scribes have handled it falsly". Many of the errors are in the translation, for example "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . .and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. . ." the word was with God and then the word was God...that means GOD WAS WITH GOD? no...If we go back to the Greek text we see that there are different words used for the first God and the second...god...do I make sense? refer the Greek text. Further, if we analize, there are many scientific errors in the Bible, now do they come from humans, or God.....ofcourse God can't make scientific errors......The Jehovah's Witnesses in their "AWAKE!" Magazine dated 8 September, 1957, carried this startling headline — "50000 ERRORS IN THE BIBLE?" My message to my Christian brothers is that...ok we know that Bible is from God, and It teaches you to be good, it was given to Jesus PBUH, and the Final testements were given to Muhammed the last prophet and God blessed mankind with Quran after Gospel. "Quran" is not a book it is actually "alive" today in the hearts of over nine million (9,000,000) Muslims around the world. This is a real miracle. There is no other book like it. No book can compare to it and no other major religion today has their original preserved in the original language by so many followers of the religion.... Over NINE MILLION Muslims Memorized the Entire Quran. 9,000,000 + Muslims living today have memorized the entire Quran in the original Arabic language. But surprisingly over 75% of all Muslims are not Arab. In fact, the largest number of Muslims today are in Indonesia.And did you know? That every Muslim in the world, over 1.5 billion have all memorized some of the Quran and each of them desires to memorize it entirely?The Quran states pharaoh was drowned in the Red Sea while chasing after Moses and Allah said He would preserve Pharaoh as a sign for the future. Dr. Maurice Bucaille in his book, "Bible, Quran and Science" makes it clear this has happened and the very person of Pharaoh has been discovered in Egypt and is now on display for all to see.This event took place thousands of years before Muhammad, peace be upon him, and it came true in the last few decades, many centuries after his death.No other religion in the world respects and dignifies Jesus as Islam does. The Qur'an confirms his virgin birth (a chapter of the Qur'an is entitled "Mary"), and Mary is considered to have been one of the purest women in all creation. The Qur'an describes Jesus' birth as follows: .................................................."Behold!' the Angel said, God has chosen you, and purified you, and chosen you above the women of all nations. Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him, whose name shall be the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, honored in this world and in the Hereafter, and one of those brought near to God. He shall speak to the people from his cradle and in maturity, and he shall be of the righteous. She said: "My Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me?' He said: "Even so; God creates what He will. When He decrees a thing, He says to it, 'Be!' and it is." [3:42-47]Muhammad and Jesus, as well as the other prophets, were sent to confirm the belief in one God. This is referred to in the Qur'an where Jesus is reported as saying that he came: "To attest the law which was before me, and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden you; I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so fear God and obey me." [3:50]Prophet Muhammad emphasized the importance of Jesus by saying: "Whoever believes there is no god but Allah, alone without partner, that Muhammad is His messenger, that Jesus is a servant and messenger of God, His word breathed into Mary and a spirit emanating from Him, and that Paradise and Hell are true, shall be received by God into Heaven. [Bukhari]

Super Universe

Defender of God
In my opinion, yes the bible contains false doctrine. The error lies not with the beings who revealed, and continue to reveal, the divine truth but in the humans who misunderstood. To some degree the revealors are at fault for not immediately correcting mistakes.

The largest error is in the idea that God punishes and even kills humans who do not obey His commandments. God or angels absolutely did not send firey brimstone hail upon Soddom but what does an ancient writer know of rocks that fall from the sky?

Nor did God cause a flood to cover the earth intent on killing off sinful humans. Angels did what they could to save those who would listen by telling Noah to build an ark and save as much of the earth's precious life (a truly unique mixture in the universe) from the ensuing waters.

The planet earth is a living thing that must go through changes. It's intention is to be a home for all life and in order to provide that function it must provide for itself as well. Or would you rather it became like mars? Cold, dry, and barren?

The bible is a guide for happy living, surely if you sleep with your neighbors wife you will create anger. The bible also tries to provide guidance for our evolution and final salvation. Something that everyone isn't necessarily ready for. We are all on our own journey.

mehrosh

=Super UniverseThe bible is a guide for happy living, surely if you sleep with your neighbors wife you will create anger. The bible also tries to provide guidance for our evolution and final salvation. Something that everyone isn't necessarily ready for. We are all on our own journey.
Brother I see the positive side of the Bible you have quoted, ...It was published in the Plain Truth October 1977//////Reading Bible stories to children can also open up all sorts of opportunities to discuss the morality of sex. There are verses in the Bible like When Judah sees her, he thinks she is a harlot because she has covered her face. He comes up to her and proposes — "ALLOW ME TO COME IN UNTO THEE; AND SHE SAID WHAT WILT THOU GIVE ME, THAT THOU MAYEST COME IN UNTO ME?" He promises that he would send her a goat kid from his flock. What guarantee could she have that he would send it? What guarantee did she require, Judah queried. "His ring, his bracelet and his staff" is the ready answer. The old man hands these possessions to her, and "CAME IN UNTO HER, AND SHE CONCEIVED BY HIM." (Genesis 38:16-18). Three months later, as things were bound to turn out, news reached Judah that his daughter-in-law, Tamar, had played the "harlot" and that she was with "CHILD BY WHOREDOM AND JUDAH SAID, BRING HER FORTH, AND LET HER BE BURNT." (Genesis 38:24)DAUGHTERS SEDUCE THEIR FATHER.....Read Genesis 19, verses 30 to the end....such lessons of immoral actions in the Bible cannot be from God, rather seems that some human hands were at work....Regards,

sojourner

mehrosh said:
No doubt Bible is from God, but there are human changes in it, the prove of human changes in the Old Testements...Jeremiah 8:8 in which it says, "how can you we are wise, when we have the law of the Lord, when the LYING pen of the scribes have handled it falsly". Many of the errors are in the translation, for example "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . .and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. . ." the word was with God and then the word was God...that means GOD WAS WITH GOD? no...If we go back to the Greek text we see that there are different words used for the first God and the second...god...do I make sense? refer the Greek text. Further, if we analize, there are many scientific errors in the Bible, now do they come from humans, or God.....ofcourse God can't make scientific errors......The Jehovah's Witnesses in their "AWAKE!" Magazine dated 8 September, 1957, carried this startling headline — "50000 ERRORS IN THE BIBLE?" My message to my Christian brothers is that...ok we know that Bible is from God, and It teaches you to be good, it was given to Jesus PBUH, and the Final testements were given to Muhammed the last prophet and God blessed mankind with Quran after Gospel. "Quran" is not a book it is actually "alive" today in the hearts of over nine million (9,000,000) Muslims around the world. This is a real miracle. There is no other book like it. No book can compare to it and no other major religion today has their original preserved in the original language by so many followers of the religion.... Over NINE MILLION Muslims Memorized the Entire Quran. 9,000,000 + Muslims living today have memorized the entire Quran in the original Arabic language. But surprisingly over 75% of all Muslims are not Arab. In fact, the largest number of Muslims today are in Indonesia.And did you know? That every Muslim in the world, over 1.5 billion have all memorized some of the Quran and each of them desires to memorize it entirely?The Quran states pharaoh was drowned in the Red Sea while chasing after Moses and Allah said He would preserve Pharaoh as a sign for the future. Dr. Maurice Bucaille in his book, "Bible, Quran and Science" makes it clear this has happened and the very person of Pharaoh has been discovered in Egypt and is now on display for all to see.This event took place thousands of years before Muhammad, peace be upon him, and it came true in the last few decades, many centuries after his death.No other religion in the world respects and dignifies Jesus as Islam does. The Qur'an confirms his virgin birth (a chapter of the Qur'an is entitled "Mary"), and Mary is considered to have been one of the purest women in all creation. The Qur'an describes Jesus' birth as follows: .................................................."Behold!' the Angel said, God has chosen you, and purified you, and chosen you above the women of all nations. Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him, whose name shall be the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, honored in this world and in the Hereafter, and one of those brought near to God. He shall speak to the people from his cradle and in maturity, and he shall be of the righteous. She said: "My Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me?' He said: "Even so; God creates what He will. When He decrees a thing, He says to it, 'Be!' and it is." [3:42-47]Muhammad and Jesus, as well as the other prophets, were sent to confirm the belief in one God. This is referred to in the Qur'an where Jesus is reported as saying that he came: "To attest the law which was before me, and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden you; I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so fear God and obey me." [3:50]Prophet Muhammad emphasized the importance of Jesus by saying: "Whoever believes there is no god but Allah, alone without partner, that Muhammad is His messenger, that Jesus is a servant and messenger of God, His word breathed into Mary and a spirit emanating from Him, and that Paradise and Hell are true, shall be received by God into Heaven. [Bukhari]

In what way is any of this "proof" that the Bible contains false doctrine? Why are you using a far right-wing and radical publication like "Awake" to prove your point? What does Muslim faith have to do with Biblical doctrine? Is there a point here, or are you just plugging Islam? "No other religion in the world respects and dignifies Jesus as Islam does?" What are you talking about? Christianity is the faith that acknowledges Jesus' divinity.

sojourner

mehrosh said:
Brother I see the positive side of the Bible you have quoted, ...It was published in the Plain Truth October 1977//////Reading Bible stories to children can also open up all sorts of opportunities to discuss the morality of sex. There are verses in the Bible like When Judah sees her, he thinks she is a harlot because she has covered her face. He comes up to her and proposes — "ALLOW ME TO COME IN UNTO THEE; AND SHE SAID WHAT WILT THOU GIVE ME, THAT THOU MAYEST COME IN UNTO ME?" He promises that he would send her a goat kid from his flock. What guarantee could she have that he would send it? What guarantee did she require, Judah queried. "His ring, his bracelet and his staff" is the ready answer. The old man hands these possessions to her, and "CAME IN UNTO HER, AND SHE CONCEIVED BY HIM." (Genesis 38:16-18). Three months later, as things were bound to turn out, news reached Judah that his daughter-in-law, Tamar, had played the "harlot" and that she was with "CHILD BY WHOREDOM AND JUDAH SAID, BRING HER FORTH, AND LET HER BE BURNT." (Genesis 38:24)DAUGHTERS SEDUCE THEIR FATHER.....Read Genesis 19, verses 30 to the end....such lessons of immoral actions in the Bible cannot be from God, rather seems that some human hands were at work....Regards,

You seem to have an odd idea of where scripture came from. Humans did write the scriptures, and they did so from their own perspective of time, place and culture. We know this, we understand this, and we make allowances for this in our interpretations.;)

robtex

Veteran Member
angellous_evangellous said:
I will vote "other." The Bible is a collection of faithful representations of the groups that it represents.

I voted other also. The bible is a doctrine of faith. It is more a measure of belief and non-belief than correct and false. A cornerstone to the Christian religion is belief in things that are rationally thought of as impossible. Hence the term miracles.

mehrosh

sojourner said:
In what way is any of this "proof" that the Bible contains false doctrine? Why are you using a far right-wing and radical publication like "Awake" to prove your point? What does Muslim faith have to do with Biblical doctrine? Is there a point here, or are you just plugging Islam? "No other religion in the world respects and dignifies Jesus as Islam does?" What are you talking about? Christianity is the faith that acknowledges Jesus' divinity.
Please calm down....am not here to fight brother.....I am not saying that...you need to look into the Bible yourself.....Muslim faith has nothing to do with the Present corrupted Bible...which has been changed...but let me Inform you that Muslims Believe in the Gospel of Jesus....the Muslim's faith isn't complete without the Belief in Jesus. We love him and he was a Prophet send to the Children of Israel, I am not plugging Islam here...but talking about the same message bought by Moses "THE LORD, OUR GOD IS ONE" [Deut6:4] and Jesus " The Lord, Our God, is One" [Mark 12:29] and Muhammed "Say; He is God, the One and Only" [Ikhlas 1] Christianity acknowledges Jesus's divinity when he never said that "worship me I am God..." I know that Christians call him God out of love and respect just like Adam is the son of God, Luke[3:38] - Suleiman is the son of God, Samuel[7:13-14] - Jacob is the son of God, Exodus[4:22] - Ephraim is God's firstborn, Jeremiah[31:9] - Other people are 'Sons of God', Job[38:7] ...Muslims call him a prophet of God out of Love and respect...

mehrosh

sojourner said:
You seem to have an odd idea of where scripture came from. Humans did write the scriptures, and they did so from their own perspective of time, place and culture. We know this, we understand this, and we make allowances for this in our interpretations.;)
Exactly...thats what I am saying....I clarified...I as a Muslim cannot deny the Gospel of Jesus is from God...but as you said that there are human hands working.....as the Quran said....and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our God and your God is One, and unto Him we surrender.....so brother as an invitation I would like you to go through the Quran....kindly consider my request....Thanks in advance

Ernestine

When the dead sea scrolls were discovered in the 1950s, to everyone's amazement, experts found very few differences (and none contextual) between the Bible that we are using today and that which was used then. The Bible is the word of GOD transmitted to man by God. If you familiarize yourself with the Bible you will clearly see that the Hebrew and Greek scriptures are in harmony with themselves and with each other. God's word is truth and there can be no deception with him. God cannot lie!!

Ori

Angel slayer
Ernestine said:
When the dead sea scrolls were discovered in the 1950s, to everyone's amazement, experts found very few differences (and none contextual) between the Bible that we are using today and that which was used then. The Bible is the word of GOD transmitted to man by God. If you familiarize yourself with the Bible you will clearly see that the Hebrew and Greek scriptures are in harmony with themselves and with each other. God's word is truth and there can be no deception with him. God cannot lie!!

God cannot lie? Thats debateable, but God certainly contradicts his own rules...

Thou shalt not kill, hmmm, then what about "If anyone takes the life of a human being, he must be put to death" ( Levi 24: 17)