• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Bible justify war?

Tathagata

Freethinker
The military doesn't reall kill here in America,

That's irrelevant. The point is that it is legal for the military to kill, whether here in America or overseas. If Bin Laden was spotted in America and the military killed him, the military men would not be indicted for murder, it would be considered lawful killing.

most cops shoot to incapacitate,

Yes, but when they do kill, they don't incarcerated, they are exempt from punishment.

I hate American government anyways my argument was not reflecting my atitude towards it. Marijuana and all other drugs should be legal. Death penalty is ********.

Your statement here indicated to the contrary: "In all instances, it is illegal to kill someone in America, therefore all killing is murder." -- You

You hoisted American law as a standard for the truth and what things are to be rightfully be defined as.

Where Is God

Creator
That's irrelevant. The point is that it is legal for the military to kill, whether here in America or overseas. If Bin Laden was spotted in America and the military killed him, the military men would not be indicted for murder, it would be considered lawful killing.

Yes, but when they do kill, they don't incarcerated, they are exempt from punishment.

Your statement here indicated to the contrary: "In all instances, it is illegal to kill someone in America, therefore all killing is murder." -- You

You hoisted American law as a standard for the truth and what things are to be rightfully be defined as.

I used that example only because American law is the only law I am bound by(other than my own).

The cops and military would be tried in court. If some random private shot Bin Laden, he would be imprisoned. Everyone gets a fair try in court in America, even Bin Laden.

elcazador

Are you sure about that?

"Thou shalt utterly destroy them - the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee." - Deuteronomy 20:17

Looks like a human war of different tribes and land to me. That's not a metaphorical battle of good vs. evil.

This is the Torah, and this book's purpose is mostly to dictate the laws of that time with the supervision of Moses. In Christianity, this was overturned by the New Covenant. Most of the book is no longer relevant, with laws that are ridiculous and nonsensical now, I.E. dealing with slavery, banning transvestism, setting conditions for permissable rape, and methods of keeping military clean by making sure soldiers are clean that have had wet dreams and that they bury their excrement. The collective ridiculousness of it makes me want to say it has no place in Judaism, but the fact that it is still a taught part of the torah is baffling to me. I think it's safe to say that the authors did not construct these passages with foresight and widespread, endlessly applicable relevancy in mind.