• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Bible seem to give more importance to men

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
JerryL said:
But why the Bible gives men more importance isn't the topic. Whether it does or not is.
But that's my point. I don't think it does that. I think that there are certain passages that speak from a partiarchal standpoint, yes. But if we read beyond that, we find that the Bible, as a whole, doesn't give men more importance.

JerryL

sojourner said:
But that's my point. I don't think it does that. I think that there are certain passages that speak from a partiarchal standpoint, yes. But if we read beyond that, we find that the Bible, as a whole, doesn't give men more importance.
I don't see where you can get that conclusion. God is portraied as masculine, as is Jesus, and every apostle, and almost every leader. Liniages are from fathers, not mothers; women are listed in the same commandment as property, and are taken as spoils of war. Women are owned by their fathers then their husbands. It's directly stated that women should have a mark of authority. Women are punished for not being virgins, men are not. God comes to men (Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Paul, etc). It's extremely male-oriented.