• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the god show favoritism?

gnostic

The Lost One
In another thread - Why was Thomas so special? - Blackdog22 wrote that:

Blackdog22 said:
If God then loves everyone equally then why doesn't everyone get the same opportunity?

My question is this:

Does God play favoritism?

To rephrase my question:

Does he choose one over another, pitting brother against brother, when he supposed to love all?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
In my belief system, it isn't God who bring or takes opportunities to you. What comes to us is dictated by our karma; the results of our own actions.

Imo, God does not play favouritism.

God does not show favouritism. The thing is, although God has created every soul, the atmosphere that we bring that soul into existence is completely humankind's fault or blessing. It is because of how we shape society that governs how we treat others, rather than using God as a 'team member' on one side over another.

Waya

Waya
It seems that Christians throughout history have a tendency to be the least moral, and yet a majority of Christian based societies seem to suffer the least.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Whether or not god plays favorites, his followers certainly expect him to. "Dear god, please make sure the Vikings run all over the Steelers this Sunday." "Dear god, please help me win this beauty contest." "Dear god, please smite my next door neighbor with herpes. Thanks."

Blackdog22

God shows favortism christians believe the jews are the chosen people.

This as well. I think the choosing of the 12 disciples shows that God does in fact show favoritism. He chose David, he chose Moses, He chose Noah, He chose Aaron, He chose Abraham. These are people who got to experience God on a level that not many can claim. If their is even one person who can claim God hasn't expressed himself to them on a simliar level then that in itself is a showing of favoritism.

My question is how doesn't God show favoritism. Unless the meaning of the word "favoritism" isn't understood by the individual then I don't think anyone can claim he doesn't show favoritism.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It seems that Christians throughout history have a tendency to be the least moral, and yet a majority of Christian based societies seem to suffer the least.

It's usually the ones who are willing to step on others who end up on top of their own making, not that God favours them.

gnostic

The Lost One
Doesn't god favor Abel over Cain? Or David over his brothers as well over Saul? Jacob over both his brother & his father-in-law or Joseph over his brothers?

Are these not signs that god that pick & choose?

ninerbuff

godless wonder

My question is this:

To rephrase my question:

Does he choose one over another, pitting brother against brother, when he supposed to love all?
Of course god does. That's why some people have "god given gifts" and others don't. And why some children are born with disease while others are born healthy. And of course there are the starving, and dying children compared to those that don't. Yeah this is a god who is biased........

TheGodHypothesis

Descent with modification
Of course god does. That's why some people have "god given gifts" and others don't. And why some children are born with disease while others are born healthy. And of course there are the starving, and dying children compared to those that don't. Yeah this is a god who is biased........

Or there is no God. Why not choose the simplest hypothesis instead of bending yourself into a pretzel trying to justify the absolute brutality visited upon humans on this planet everyday?

jojo50

no Jehovah God doesn't show favoritism. if he did only ALL those righteous men of the bible would have that Heavenly calling,(making up the 144,000 of Heavenly priest and kings). many good men of the bible will only have that earthly calling. as many even up to our day, would have that Heavenly calling. when God speak of someone,(especially from the bible), there's a reason. usually to show his servant,look here's an example you can follow. in other words,it can help his servant in their spiritual walk. peace

thedope

Our lives consist of a series of sensations, one followed by the other without remission in the span of a life. Some of those sensations we call pleasant and some not so. This is true regardless of your station in life.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
God does not show favouritism. The thing is, although God has created every soul, the atmosphere that we bring that soul into existence is completely humankind's fault or blessing. It is because of how we shape society that governs how we treat others, rather than using God as a 'team member' on one side over another.
What about the Japanese?

ellenjanuary

Such questions overlook an essential duality and ignore the law of sides. The duality, me and you; the law, for every side, there is an inside, and an outside. Before I even get to you; I may feel privileged, and yet may consider such to not be represented in terms of the world. And you can look at me as privileged, as a ward of the state; or see me in my hole with my Gwynnies, call it underprivileged. And all along, I'm just ellen. :D

My question is this:

To rephrase my question:

This is one of the problems when you choose to maintain that there is a God which takes a personal interest in the lives of humans. People will attempt to rationalise why their God favoured one person over the other when a series of events have played out but there is no way of dertermining which account is correct. That is of course ignoring the problem of establishing that God had an influence in the events at all. This is not a statement that God doesn't exist but rather that a God which chooses to intervene in human affairs may not do so all the time.

This is ultimately an untestable question and therefore cannot be satisfactually answered.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
"Jacob have I loved, and Essau have I hated." God seems to show complete indifference.

Last edited: