• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the human mind reflect spirituality or atheism?

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm not asking science to answer these question, I fully recognise that it can't. I'm contemplating the idea that some people have about evolution; which is that it 'proves' that there is no god, which of course it can't do. Some people believe it does and so it is to them I ask how this accounts for our spiritual nature.

As far as I'm aware, nobody but creationists think the theory of evolution makes any attempt to "prove" there is no God. Who are you thinking of - apart from creationists - that insists there is any relationship between the evolution of organisms and the likelihood of the existence of god/s?

Yes, evolution (along with all the other sciences) has certainly proven the claim God made everything fully formed 6000 years ago is false. But that has nothing to do with the likelihood of the existence of god/s either - only the God of young earth creationists is in question, and then it is only a question of what he did and when and how he did it. Still nothing to do with whether or not he exists.

slave2six

Substitious
When I try to think like this – well, I just can’t. It isn’t simply that I don’t want to; it’s truly that I can’t.
I honestly don't see the difficulty here. Trying to find "meaning" in everything is, ultimately, meaningless because we are physical beings that measure things by solid and verifiable evidence that affects the senses. Trying to figure out life after death is like a fetus trying to figure out life after birth. The fetus does no such thing. It simply thrives in the environment that it inhabits and only by doing so becomes mature enough to be born. It finds out about what we call "life" after it is born. It cannot will itself into being a healthier fetus.

Things are the way they are. Period. It's just that simple. What is so hard about simply thriving in the environment in which we find ourselves? To love others and promote peace are the means by which we grow to be healthy in our psyche as well as in our bodies. We know this from experience, not because of some divine revelation. Being at peace requires no conjecture or wondering about some higher purpose. It requires no submission to the idea of a deity of any sort.

Conversely, ruminating on things that cannot be known and which may in fact not exist is futile and invariably leads us to be stressed out, to invent things and then to argue with one another because what we invented doesn't jive with what they invented.

We are "be-ings" and yet we spend all our time "do-ing." It requires simply being to be at peace, nothing more.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems that some sort of predisposition to perceive deity in events and things is intrinsic to human nature.

RamaRaksha

*banned*
God obviously was born out of primitive man's desire to explain the world around him. There are thousands of religions around the world, so the concept of God is a pretty simple one.

I am quite glad that I am a Hindu - When I die I don't go to a heaven or hell, I am simply reborn. There is no external party to judge me, I judge myself, my karma follows me thru my various lives, until I reach the enlightened state of Moksha. I am glad that I get to receive the greatest gift of all - The Gift of Life, Over and Over again!

In such a concept, God may not be necessary.

knockknock

I honestly don't see the difficulty here. Trying to find "meaning" in everything is, ultimately, meaningless because we are physical beings that measure things by solid and verifiable evidence that affects the senses.

If we all thought like this then there would be very little philosophy, art, passion, personality and colour and our education would be severely stunted. We would not be who we are today if we hadn't tried to find meaning in our lives.

Trying to figure out life after death is like a fetus trying to figure out life after birth. The fetus does no such thing. It simply thrives in the environment that it inhabits and only by doing so becomes mature enough to be born. It finds out about what we call "life" after it is born. It cannot will itself into being a healthier fetus.
I didn't say this, you did and I fail to see the relevance.

Things are the way they are. Period. It's just that simple.
(You sound like my mum) This kind of attitude stunts the human mind.

What is so hard about simply thriving in the environment in which we find ourselves?
You may be 'lucky in life' but not everyone 'thrives' in their environment, sadly.

To love others and promote peace are the means by which we grow to be healthy in our psyche as well as in our bodies. We know this from experience, not because of some divine revelation.
Again, sadly no amount of 'human experience' has shown to teach man this lesson. Left to our own devises we have proven to be war mongers, greedy, selfish, spoilt, spiteful, envious, vicious, violent, manipulating, uncaring creatures on the whole. We need careful control and limits placed upon us to make 'living in peace' at all viable. This, believe it or not, is the root message of spirituality, to not base our lives on competing with each other or on grasping the gratuitous physical desires but to concentrate more on the lasting spiritual rewards of humility, kindness, forgiveness, acceptance and genuine toleration. This is really the road to true peace within ourselves and towards each other and so far the human has failed in this.

Being at peace requires no conjecture or wondering about some higher purpose. It requires no submission to the idea of a deity of any sort.
but it does require safety, freedom, nutrition, warmth, love, contentment, acceptance, understanding, etc etc. Not easy things to attain in this human dominated world.

Conversely, ruminating on things that cannot be known and which may in fact not exist is futile and invariably leads us to be stressed out, to invent things and then to argue with one another because what we invented doesn't jive with what they invented.
It certainly does, but this isn't limited to spiritualism, this is a fact of life, all aspects of life, including science.

We are "be-ings" and yet we spend all our time "do-ing." It requires simply being to be at peace, nothing more.
Something man has been individualy striving for for centuries, not quite so easily attained unfortunately.

knockknock

As far as I'm aware, nobody but creationists think the theory of evolution makes any attempt to "prove" there is no God. Who are you thinking of - apart from creationists - that insists there is any relationship between the evolution of organisms and the likelihood of the existence of god/s?

Are you serious? I think you are being unfare here. Also, you can't pidgeon hole creationists so easily, there are many variations of this concept. Some believe in the whole of evolution and still think it was the act of creation, some only believe in natural selection and reject the evolutionary origins of life. In the same way, many people use evolution as a weapon against the belief in God, not all, but many do. Take a look around the internet.

Yes, evolution (along with all the other sciences) has certainly proven the claim God made everything fully formed 6000 years ago is false. But that has nothing to do with the likelihood of the existence of god/s either - only the God of young earth creationists is in question, and then it is only a question of what he did and when and how he did it. Still nothing to do with whether or not he exists.
I agree, but for the purpose of this thread, let's assume that we are talking about spirituality v atheism. I used evolution because it 'fits in nicely' with the atheistic view that there is no God.

knockknock

I'd better define my meaning of 'spiritual' for this thread before it gets swamped by 'what does spiritual mean'. I refer to spiritual as being the incorporeal side of man, the side that contradicts the concept of a simple material existence. The desire to ‘rise above’ the animalistic tendencies we have and, yes, to gather meaning to the paradox of simply being whilst endlessly searching for ‘why’ or/and ‘how’. It’s more than just a fight to survive; it’s a questioning of why we want to survive. What is the ego and how can such a complex intellect be the result of a bunch of inanimate chemicals merging together.

*edit* This ultimately leads us to wonder at the purpose for this strange situation we find ourselves in and what we should do to live up to this purpose. This is what I call the spiritual mind.

Last edited:

DarkSun

:eltiT
It seems that some sort of predisposition to perceive deity in events and things is intrinsic to human nature.

I'd go one step further and say that it's human nature to revere something greater than oneself. What the individual views as greater than themselves varies from person, to person, though.

Alceste

Vagabond
Are you serious? I think you are being unfare here. Also, you can't pidgeon hole creationists so easily, there are many variations of this concept. Some believe in the whole of evolution and still think it was the act of creation, some only believe in natural selection and reject the evolutionary origins of life. In the same way, many people use evolution as a weapon against the belief in God, not all, but many do. Take a look around the internet.

Well, all I can tell you (again) is that ToE has nothing at all to do with God or Gods. It has nothing to do with origins either. As you've just mentioned, acceptance of the ToE is perfectly compatible with theism.

I've been taking a look around the internet for a while now - since the invention of it - and the impression I have gotten is that the overwhelming consensus among non-theists is that whole issue of God is totally irrelevant to the issue of biology, and anyone who understands biology is fully aware of this. I can't promise you there is no non-theist anywhere in the world who does not understand biology, and so thinks (wrongly) it has something to do with God, but even if there is we haven't exactly got the market cornered on this kind of stupidity. Most such comments are reactionary. In other words, some theist who doesn't understand ToE comes along and says "evolution is false because God is real", provoking some non-theist who doesn't understand ToE to retort "No, god is false because evolution is real". If some theists (no pigeon holing here) weren't insisting biology has something to do with God to begin with, the issue of God would never come up. Because it has nothing to do with biology.

I agree, but for the purpose of this thread, let's assume that we are talking about spirituality v atheism. I used evolution because it 'fits in nicely' with the atheistic view that there is no God.
I don't agree that "spirituality" and "atheism" are mutually exclusive. There are many religious people in the world who are non-theistic or atheistic, and many atheists who are spiritual. You might consider whether you are the one doing the pigeon-holing in this instance.

But yeah, I agree that biology fits in nicely with atheism. So do physics and chemistry. In fact, everything that is empirically approachable and has evidence to support it fits in nicely with atheism. Again, it is (some) creationists who have singled out biology for special attention. It has no particular significance for non-theists among the rest of sciences, apart from a strong desire to prevent the creationists from imposing their religious mythology about origins in science class.

Last edited:

knockknock

I can't promise you there is no non-theist anywhere in the world who does not understand biology, and so thinks (wrongly) it has something to do with God, but even if there is we haven't exactly got the market cornered on this kind of stupidity. Most such comments are reactionary. In other words, some theist who doesn't understand ToE comes along and says "evolution is false because God is real", provoking some non-theist who doesn't understand ToE to retort "No, god is false because evolution is real". If some theists (no pigeon holing here) weren't insisting biology has something to do with God to begin with, the issue of God would never come up. Because it has nothing to do with biology.

I'm not sure this argument is relevant to the thread so won't continue on the subject after this. I do think you are showing your bias toward atheism here, putting all of the blame on creationists who are entirely entitled to their point of view without being accused of 'provoking' arguments. I fail to see why atheist feel the need to react so strongly to them if they are comfortable in their own beliefs. Just my thoughts anyway.

I don't agree that "spirituality" and "atheism" are mutually exclusive. There are many religious people in the world who are non-theistic or atheistic, and many atheists who are spiritual.
Can you give me some examples of this so that I know where you are coming from.

But yeah, I agree that biology fits in nicely with atheism. So do physics and chemistry. In fact, everything that is empirically approachable and has evidence to support it fits in nicely with atheism.
Is this your round-about way of saying science supports atheism?

Again, it is (some) creationists who have singled out biology for special attention. It has no particular significance for non-theists among the rest of sciences, apart from a strong desire to prevent the creationists from imposing their religious mythology about origins in science class.
Can we forget about your strong dislike of creationists, the question was not just directed at biology but the whole of existence.

Yes Man

Premium Member
The mind reflects no spirituality or rationality by itself. It depends on the culture we are raised in.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't know. We do seem to be wired for belief, by accident or design. And, as I believe was mentioned upthread, atheism does not exclude spirituality. It's all about interpretation.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The mind reflects no spirituality or rationality by itself. It depends on the culture we are raised in.

I think there might be some truth to that. But I also think that view fails to take into account the ubiquity of beliefs in spirits and such.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm not sure this argument is relevant to the thread so won't continue on the subject after this. I do think you are showing your bias toward atheism here, putting all of the blame on creationists who are entirely entitled to their point of view without being accused of 'provoking' arguments. I fail to see why atheist feel the need to react so strongly to them if they are comfortable in their own beliefs. Just my thoughts anyway.

LOL - of course I'm "biased" toward atheism. I am an atheist, after all. You're "biased" toward theism, being a theist. However, being "biased" toward the thoughts in our own heads need not necessarily interfere with being capable of making accurate observations about the real world. The "controversy" apparently pitting biologists against creationists to argue whether to include creationism in science class (hence opening the question of whether biology has anything to do with God) was entirely fabricated by creationists. Imagine how heated things would get if a group of science teachers were caught red-handed developing and implementing a detailed, insidious strategy to infiltrate your church with a plan to teach evolutionary biology thinly masked as Christian theology with the objective of completely overturning theism forever. There would be an adverse reaction, right? I strong one, I'd guess. I'm "pinning the blame" on creationists because creationists are clearly to blame in this instance. This fact has been established beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law.

As is repeated endlessly in these forums, atheism is not a belief. It's the absence of one particular belief. Atheists and theists alike are uncomfortable with the effort of a small group of creationists to overthrow science and force it to conform to scripture, that's all. It's nothing to do with beliefs about God, and everything to do with beliefs about the separation of church and state, religious freedom (which implicitly includes freedom from religion) and the tremendous value of the scientific method in improving all our lives and helping us understand the world.

Yes you are entitled to your point of view, of course, I don't argue that at all. But you are not entitled to teach your point of view to my children as science in a science class in a secular school. Teach your point of view in church, or philosophy classes, or theology classes, or religious studies. Science class is for learning about science. Period.

Examples of non-theistic spiritual people? Sure. Buddhists.

I thought it was a fairly direct way of saying science does not support theism. It fits in nicely with atheism because of this. Not to get tied up in semantics, but the implication of "science supports atheim" is that there is something there to support. There isn't - atheism isn't a system of beliefs, it is the lack of one particular belief. Maybe you could argue that atheists have certain values in common, such as an appreciation of critical thinking, reason, empiricism, logic, secularity and intense curiosity regarding the unknown and unknowable (as opposed to belief or faith that we know what is out there). Science is compatible with these values, but they are not exclusively atheist values. Many theists share them.

Can we forget about your strong dislike of creationists, the question was not just directed at biology but the whole of existence.

lol - sweetie, everybody has a strong dislike of that particular group of creationists who are attempting to replace scientific empiricism with theology - in science class. Even most other creationists. It's not because they're creationists, it's because they're liars.

I'm not sure what the question is now. I'll go back and check. :)

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
slave2six said:
Ihonestly don't see the difficulty here. Trying to find "meaning" in everything is, ultimately, meaningless because we are physical beings that measure things by solid and verifiable evidence that affects the senses.
If we all thought like this then there would be very little philosophy, art, passion, personality and colour and our education would be severely stunted. We would not be who we are today if we hadn't tried to find meaning in our lives.
How so? There are many painters and writers and musicians and poets- artists all- who are fascinated by existence yet see no reason to impose a meaning on the universe, who believe all meaning is inherently anthrocentric and is incumbent on us to invent it. How does that stifle creativity in any way?
Humans are pattern seeking animals, and our evolutionary heritage selected the skill to impose patterns on our environment. As a consequence we see shapes in clouds, daydream, interpret Jesus' face in burnt tortillas, fashion symbols, myths, and create art. Art is as much a part of my expression as a skeptic as it is of any "spiritual" individual.
slave2six said:
To love others and promote peace are the means by which we grow to be healthy in our psyche as well as in our bodies. We know this from experience, not because of some divine revelation.
Again, sadly no amount of 'human experience' has shown to teach man this lesson. Left to our own devises we have proven to be war mongers, greedy, selfish, spoilt, spiteful, envious, vicious, violent, manipulating, uncaring creatures on the whole. We need careful control and limits placed upon us to make 'living in peace' at all viable. This, believe it or not, is the root message of spirituality, to not base our lives on competing with each other or on grasping the gratuitous physical desires but to concentrate more on the lasting spiritual rewards of humility, kindness, forgiveness, acceptance and genuine toleration. This is really the road to true peace within ourselves and towards each other and so far the human has failed in this.
I think the history of "spiritual" conquest of indigenous peoples is one tiny example of how "spirituality" is most definitely not a deterrent to war, greed, spite, etc. Far from it. My desire for "humility, kindness, forgiveness, acceptance and genuine toleration" is based on philosophical arguments independent from anything transcendent.
I'd better define my meaning of 'spiritual' for this thread before it gets swamped by 'what does spiritual mean'. I refer to spiritual as being the incorporeal side of man, the side that contradicts the concept of a simple material existence. The desire to ‘rise above’ the animalistic tendencies we have and, yes, to gather meaning to the paradox of simply being whilst endlessly searching for ‘why’ or/and ‘how’. It’s more than just a fight to survive; it’s a questioning of why we want to survive. What is the ego and how can such a complex intellect be the result of a bunch of inanimate chemicals merging together.
*edit* This ultimately leads us to wonder at the purpose for this strange situation we find ourselves in and what we should do to live up to this purpose. This is what I call the spiritual mind.
Your definition is a tautology. The ability to "rise above the animalistic tendencies" is an inherent aspect of the emergent properties of our brains. We are animals with an amazingly complex brain and intelligence that can actally peer into the structure of existence.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Jumping in here, hope my quoting isn't to confusing. :sorry1:
I don't agree that "spirituality" and "atheism" are mutually exclusive. There are many religious people in the world who are non-theistic or atheistic, and many atheists who are spiritual.
Examples of non-theistic spiritual people? Sure. Buddhists.
*raises hand* Not so long ago, my title read "Non-Theistic God-Believer."

Properly speaking, "theism" is a particular notion of God, supernatural, separate from our reality, usually the Creator, and frequently omnimax. I hold to none of that.

Pantheism is a prime example of non-theistic God-belief.

(I wouldn't have used Buddhism, Alceste, as some brands are theistic. But others aren't, so.... :))

But yeah, I agree that biology fits in nicely with atheism. So do physics and chemistry. In fact, everything that is empirically approachable and has evidence to support it fits in nicely with atheism.
I thought it was a fairly direct way of saying science does not support theism. It fits in nicely with atheism because of this. Not to get tied up in semantics, but the implication of "science supports atheim" is that there is something there to support. There isn't - atheism isn't a system of beliefs, it is the lack of one particular belief. Maybe you could argue that atheists have certain values in common, such as an appreciation of critical thinking, reason, empiricism, logic, secularity and intense curiosity regarding the unknown and unknowable (as opposed to belief or faith that we know what is out there). Science is compatible with these values, but they are not exclusively atheist values. Many theists share them.
I don't agree, Alceste. Science cannot address theism generally. It has no way of coping with the supernatural (if such exists), and if God is outside our reality, how in the world could we test for that?

No, in the a/ theism conflict, science is neutral, as it should be.

However, I freely admit that there are certain teachings of certain theists which make scientific claims and are easily debunked, YEC being the glaringly obvious example. But that doesn't mean that science is any more compatible with atheism than theism, generally speaking.

ETA: Unless I'm misreading you...?

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm not sure what the question is now. I'll go back and check. :)

Oh yes, the question was "I suppose I was wondering how such a mind as a human's could evolve without any spiritual input and I suppose that is a question for the atheists amongst us".

I already answered it in post 14 from my own perspective.

But I suppose, judging by post 20 you meant that question specifically to be directed toward atheists who claim evolution proves the non-existence of God. I suppose I'm just saying you're probably not going to find anybody like that here. I don't know if it's a coincidence or what, but at least on this forum it seems all the non-theists are fully aware of what evolution does or doesn't prove about God.