• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does this sum up Christian doctrine?

outhouse

Atheistically
Dawkins says Christians believe this?

Yes, sadly.

Is he right?

yes, sadly.

lets break it down.

Christians as ones who believe that "the Inventor of the laws of physics and programmer of the NDA code decided to enter the uterus of a Jewish virgin,

yes, they believe a creator god was born from a virgin birth

got himself born

yes

then deliberately had himself tortured and executed

yes

because he couldn't think of a better way to forgive the theft of an apple

Yes, sadly

Its said he died to forgive any sin, its the way jesus chose so in fact he could not think of a better way. he did just that, end of story even though it sounds barbaric.

committed at the instigation of a talking snake.

yes

original sin

As Creator of the majestically expanding universe, he not only understands relativistic gravity and quantum mechanics but actually designed them.

yes

sadly, very sadly and very primitive

Yet when he really cares about is "sin," abortion, how often you go to church and whether gay people should marry."

yes

they are highlights of his teachings according to scripture.

It seems to sum up the whole way Christianity and Intelligent Design theory come together.

yes

I think more then anything else what sums this up is, the truth hurts.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Dawkins says Christians believe this? Is he right?

The famous Richard Dawkins describes Christians as ones who believe that "the Inventor of the laws of physics and programmer of the NDA code decided to enter the uterus of a Jewish virgin, got himself born, then deliberately had himself tortured and executed because he couldn't think of a better way to forgive the theft of an apple, committed at the instigation of a talking snake. As Creator of the majestically expanding universe, he not only understands relativistic gravity and quantum mechanics but actually designed them. Yet when he really cares about is "sin," abortion, how often you go to church and whether gay people should marry."

It seems to sum up the whole way Christianity and Intelligent Design theory come together.

Who believes it and who does not---and why?
icon_question.gif

I think it is an incomplete but almost completely accurate statement for "summing it up".

The famous Richard Dawkins describes Christians as ones who believe that "the Inventor of the laws of physics and programmer of the NDA code decided to enter the uterus of a Jewish virgin, got himself born, then deliberately had himself tortured and executed because he couldn't think of a better way to forgive the theft of an apple, committed at the instigation of a talking snake. As Creator of the majestically expanding universe, he not only understands relativistic gravity and quantum mechanics but actually designed them. Yet when he really cares about is "sin," abortion, how often you go to church and whether gay people should marry."

icon_question.gif
I like to think of it this way: A celestial father in heaven created the heavens and the earth. He also created all living things, especially humans, within the heavens and the earth. The reason He did this was to see whether we would follow His commandments, or listen to Satan. Once we understand this, it is easy to see that anything that detracts us from our path to God, is of the devil.

arcanum

The human faculty for being objective is basically faulty. All have agenda's of what they have come to believe and they in return regurgitate as truth. Is Dawkins objective? Surely not, he clearly has an agenda of what he has come to believe and which he clearly loves to pontificate. Christianity in sum, from what i understand, is about the transformation of being.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

icon_question.gif
I can do better than that, and I'm not a published scientist:
God became Incarnate in order to reconcile humanity to God's Self. Jesus was subsequently killed by Jewish religious leaders at the hands of their Roman occupiers.
God cares about humanity to the point that God is willing to stand in solidarity with us when we suffer.

sojourner

But to be fair, Christian theology is pretty terrible...
To be fair, you don't know enough about it to make that call. Christian theology is a wonderful message for humanity (until it gets bent by the wacko fundigelicals).
To be fair, I suppose you could come up with something better?

sojourner

Oh, you mean I should address a statement that offers no substance other than characterizing someone else's statement as "a pretty terrible summation" of something with due consideration and provide specific examples of my counterposition instead of merely pointing out its lack of substance in an attempt at irony?

I could indeed give specific examples of terrible, gruesome accounts of stonings, ritual sacrifices, genocide, sexual depravity and other examples in the sacred texts of Christianity, but I think we're all very well aware of them, so why bore everybody?
Those things have nothing to do with Christian theology.

Commoner

Headache
To be fair, you don't know enough about it to make that call. Christian theology is a wonderful message for humanity (until it gets bent by the wacko fundigelicals).
To be fair, I suppose you could come up with something better?

I guess anyone who disagrees with you simply doesn't know enough about Christianity for their objections to be valid?

Those things have nothing to do with Christian theology.

I'm pretty sure the Bible is a part of Christian theology.

Commoner

Headache
first question....do you think man is basically good?

If I may play along as well...compared to what?

It's like asking, is water generally warm? There's no way to really answer it without a frame of reference outside itself. Water is water, it's neither "hot" nor "cold".

One way to answer would be that any social animal must, to an extent, be able to "live with others" and act in such a way as to not be destructive to social groups/society. So in that sense, yes - man is basically good.

Last edited:

sojourner

I guess anyone who disagrees with you simply doesn't know enough about Christianity for their objections to be valid?
It doesn't have anything to do with me (other than the fact that I do happen to know what I'm talking about when it comes to Christian theology).
it has to do with the fact that Christian theology is a valid construction, whose message is very pro life, pro truth, pro freedom. Your answer only shows that you don't know enough about Christian theology to have made the judgment you made.
I'm pretty sure the Bible is a part of Christian theology.
See? This only proves my point above. The Bible has nothing to do with Christian theology. it does have to do with Christian Tradition...

Commoner

Headache
It doesn't have anything to do with me (other than the fact that I do happen to know what I'm talking about when it comes to Christian theology).
it has to do with the fact that Christian theology is a valid construction, whose message is very pro life, pro truth, pro freedom. Your answer only shows that you don't know enough about Christian theology to have made the judgment you made.

See? This only proves my point above. The Bible has nothing to do with Christian theology. it does have to do with Christian Tradition...

Semantics...

sojourner

Semantics...
Once again, proving my point above.
It isn't an argument of semantics. it's an argument of substance. The things mentioned are not part of Christian theology. And it is theology under debate here -- not Tradition. Confusing the two will only serve to skew an argument and make it weaker.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
why do you think that?
Personally, I don't. I'm just following you. You said "Christianity in essence is about love and transformation of being". I want to see how much you augment this definition before I can truly call myself Christian.

arcanum

Personally, I don't. I'm just following you. You said "Christianity in essence is about love and transformation of being". I want to see how much you augment this definition before I can truly call myself Christian.
I am no one of significance. But I have learned something from loving a separate life