• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dome of the Rock

gnostic

The Lost One
Muhammad died in Medina in 632, right?

Then why is there a tradition that says Muhammad ascended to heaven from the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem?

Did Muhammad ever set foot on Jerusalem? Or is that just another tradition?

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Muhammad went to the Dome of the Rock on the Night Journey, around 620.

He was taken to the "Farthest Mosque". Not explicitly stated but generally believed to be Al-Aqsa - even the name al-Aqsa is short for al-Masjid al-Aqsa "the Farthest mosque".

I may be wrong, but this is what I've been taught. :)

Muffled

Jesus in me

He was taken to the "Farthest Mosque". Not explicitly stated but generally believed to be Al-Aqsa - even the name al-Aqsa is short for al-Masjid al-Aqsa "the Farthest mosque".

The farthest mosque does not necessarily translate into Heaven. Wouldn't a different Arabic word be used for Heaven? If Mohammed is taking a tour, I wonder who the tour guide was.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
The farthest mosque does not necessarily translate into Heaven. Wouldn't a different Arabic word be used for Heaven? If Mohammed is taking a tour, I wonder who the tour guide was.
I never said it did.. :D
(The word for Heaven in Arabic: Jannah.)

I presume, the angel Gabriel?

gnostic

The Lost One
So basically Muhammad's nightly journey to heaven and hell is copied straight out from the 2nd book of Enoch?

.lava

Veteran Member
So basically Muhammad's nightly journey to heaven and hell is copied straight out from the 2nd book of Enoch?

there are still people who visit hell and heaven at certain level of Islam. Mohammad (PBUH) was different though. we, ordinary people do that kind of 'journey' with soul. he did not leave his physical body on Earth.

gnostic

The Lost One
.lava said:
there are still people who visit hell and heaven at certain level of Islam. Mohammad (PBUH) was different though. we, ordinary people do that kind of 'journey' with soul. he did not leave his physical body on Earth.

As did Enoch, according to 2 Enoch. He toured heaven and hell, guided by 2 angels - Samuil and Raguil. And then later in the book, Gabriel became his guide in the 7th heaven (chapter 21) to the 10th heaven, where he met God face-to-face (chapter 22), and the angel Pravuil dictated for Enoch, who wrote 366 books (chapter 23).

After this journey, he returned to earth and Enoch told his sons about this journey. He spent 30 days on earth, before he was taken back to heaven, permanently. According to the Haggada (Legends of the Jews, Book 1, Chapter 3, Translation of Enoch), Enoch was transformed into the angel Metatron - prince of all angels.

According to the Jewish traditions, Enoch was nicknamed the Scribe, or the Scribe of God, because in heaven he wrote 366 books. These books were kept in heaven...and according to 2 Enoch that Enoch knew some secrets that no angels (or most angels) did not know about, except for God.

So Muhammad's "journey" and compiling "book" that was dictated by an angel, is not really an original story.

.lava

Veteran Member
As did Enoch, according to 2 Enoch. He toured heaven and hell, guided by 2 angels - Samuil and Raguil. And then later in the book, Gabriel became his guide in the 7th heaven (chapter 21) to the 10th heaven, where he met God face-to-face (chapter 22), and the angel Pravuil dictated for Enoch, who wrote 366 books (chapter 23).

After this journey, he returned to earth and Enoch told his sons about this journey. He spent 30 days on earth, before he was taken back to heaven, permanently. According to the Haggada (Legends of the Jews, Book 1, Chapter 3, Translation of Enoch), Enoch was transformed into the angel Metatron - prince of all angels.

According to the Jewish traditions, Enoch was nicknamed the Scribe, or the Scribe of God, because in heaven he wrote 366 books. These books were kept in heaven...and according to 2 Enoch that Enoch knew some secrets that no angels (or most angels) did not know about, except for God.

So Muhammad's "journey" and compiling "book" that was dictated by an angel, is not really an original story.

Mohammad (PBUH) did not have free will like all the Prophets. they were servants. but, each journey is unique.

i remember this name Enoch, i probably asked about it before. i wish i knew if Enoch existed in our teachings. would be much more easier for me to search if i knew his name in Islam, you know like Moses being Musa, Jesus being Isa...etc. in our teachings there are some characters who had bizarre destinies. one of them is a man; he visits heaven and does not want to come back. so God accepts his wish. he stays in heaven even though he did not die. one of the most famous is the commander of army of skies. he is known as immortal till the end of time. but he is human.

i like your post, interesting story. we know human as the highest of all creatures so i would not expect God turn man into angel. well, i do not know :)

gnostic

The Lost One
.lava said:
i wish i knew if Enoch existed in our teachings. would be much more easier for me to search if i knew his name in Islam, you know like Moses being Musa, Jesus being Isa...etc.
I don't know how the Muslims translated Arabic to Latinised English (eg. Isa, Musa).

How do you translate Enoch's إدريس to Latin letters? That's really beyond me. :shrug:

Luminous

non-existential luminary

In 691, Caliph Abd al-Malik ibn Marwan ordered that the Dome of the Rock be built on the site where the Islamic prophet Muhammad is believed by Muslims to have begun his nocturnal journey to heaven, on the Temple Mount. About a decade afterward, Caliph Al-Walid I had the Al-Aqsa Mosque built

Luminous

non-existential luminary

some Christians 'do it' too. it's called desire impulsed self deception AKA Stress insude Halucination/Dream. I'm sure Scientologists get 'taken' by aliens all the time too. :p

.lava

Veteran Member
I don't know how the Muslims translated Arabic to Latinised English (eg. Isa, Musa).

How do you translate Enoch's إدريس to Latin letters? That's really beyond me. :shrug:

no, it is about translating. i am unsure if it is possible. if he, as a person, truly existed and recorded in history then he exist in our culture too. for example that Islamic character, one never changing commander of unseen army, immortal man, exist in Greek myths as a God. this is a bit confusing but i find it very interesting :) i am definetely not an expert on this subject but from time to time, i listen to people who knows about this stuff. history is being told differently in different regions but they coincide. for example, to me, knowing that Noah (PBUH) lived during time of Atlantis meant more than i could imagine. well, i love stories :)

.lava

Veteran Member
some Christians 'do it' too. it's called desire impulsed self deception AKA Stress insude Halucination/Dream. I'm sure Scientologists get 'taken' by aliens all the time too. :p

how would you define reality you're in?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Mohammad (PBUH) did not have free will like all the Prophets.
I'm pretty sure he did. you can't prove me wrong therefor i'm right.
they were servants. but, each journey is unique.

i remember this name Enoch, i probably asked about it before. i wish i knew if Enoch existed in our teachings. would be much more easier for me to search if i knew his name in Islam, you know like Moses being Musa, Jesus being Isa...etc. in our teachings there are some characters who had bizarre destinies. one of them is a man; he visits heaven and does not want to come back. so God accepts his wish. he stays in heaven
Who came back to tell his story. oh no one; because it is a lie and a fairy tale.
even though he did not die. one of the most famous is the commander of army of skies. he is known as immortal till the end of time. but he is human.

i like your post, interesting story. we know human as the highest of all creatures so i would not expect God turn man into angel.
That's because you propably believe in a version of the current Muhammadist Islam. But to Enoch writer: Angels were higher beings and that is why they in heaven but we in Earth and were more pure and had supernatural abilities. But if you take the words of this Abrahamics then why not also believe in the stories of the polytheists? / unitrithiests?

I think this.