• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Donald Trump Jr. Just Tweeted Out Pretty Clear Evidence That He Broke The Law [...]"

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Whoa. What "official documents",if you are referring to the hacked emails from Podesta or the DNC they would not be classified as "official" What facts do you have that leads you to believe that the offered documents that did not exist could have been obtained illegally.
Also were there any "documents".
Also 2 U.S.C. § 30101(8)(A)(i)) says

Was there any "contribution". I don't think saying you have something is in actuality having something.
I think you are grasping at straws.

The fact is this is defining a term. It's a stupid definition. Other than the purpose of how the word is used in the written law it has nothing to do with the law.

Folks have really gone off the deep end on this one. Someone doesn't even have to be a lawyer to see how nonsensical this whole farce is.

This law does not apply to the circumstance of DT Jr's meeting. They need to come up with something better than this.

Nous

Premium Member
The fact is intent of this law is to regulate campaign spending and limit fundraising. You're relying on a definition of contribution and not the intent of the law itself. That's a fact.
It obviously isn't a fact that the law was not intended to criminalize the making of contributions, as the statute defines the term, by foreign nationals, or the soliciting and accepting of contributions, as the statutes defines the term, by anyone.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It obviously isn't a fact that the law was not intended to criminalize the making of contributions, as the statute defines the term, by foreign nationals, or the soliciting and accepting of contributions, as the statutes defines the term, by anyone.

The fact is, you have to be able to apply the law before worrying about the definitions within the law.

I don't see where the law itself applies.

Nous

Premium Member
The fact is, you have to be able to apply the law before worrying about the definitions within the law.

I don't see where the law itself applies.
You don't understand the words that are written in black and white?

The statute prohibits any person to solicit from a foreign national a contribution of any thing of value in connection with a Federal election. A Russian prosecutor and lawyer offered to provide Junior with just such a contribution of "some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary," and he solicited that contribution by going to great efforts to talk to the person and to set up and attend a meeting with the Russian lawyer.

esmith

Veteran Member

The statute prohibits any person to solicit from a foreign national a contribution of any thing of value in connection with a Federal election. A Russian prosecutor and lawyer offered to provide Junior with just such a contribution of "some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary," and he solicited that contribution by going to great efforts to talk to the person and to set up and attend a meeting with the Russian lawyer.
Seems like there are those that disagree with you. You know those that are actually lawyers.
What The Law Says About Donald Trump Jr.'s Meeting With A Russian Lawyer

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
A Russian prosecutor and lawyer offered to provide Junior with just such a contribution of "some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary," and he solicited that contribution by going to great efforts to talk to the person and to set up and attend a meeting with the Russian lawyer.
And Trump Jr. finally has admitted to that even though it took him several days and several lies to finally get there. And with Trump Sr. twice admitting that he fired Comey in order to stop the investigation, it's pretty obvious what the Trump camp was up to and why.

Frankly, I suspect Trump may fire Mueller as the investigation nears completion in order to try and stall the release of the findings or discredit them. If he does that, then all hell may break loose.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The section you are referring to is a section of definitions. I can at least read that much.

So which section of the actual law do you feel applies here?

Nous

Premium Member
Seems like there are those that disagree with you. You know those that are actually lawyers.
What The Law Says About Donald Trump Jr.'s Meeting With A Russian Lawyer
Did you actually read this transcript of a few comments? Two of the lawyers expressing their opinions (Bauer and Painter) say, "This is highly suggestive of a potential violation of the law," and "Come very close, if not crossing the line, with respect to treason."

In response to the moderator's question: ". . . there is an aspect of this meeting that has been called problematic and that, you know, relates to campaign finance law. Don Jr. could have run afoul of a law that says campaigns cannot get contributions of value from foreign governments. Can that law be applied to this case?" Turley begins, "It could." Then he goes on to mention First Amendment implications if "information" about a political opponent were considered a "contribution" under the statute. That's true. He doesn't mention the (illegally obtained) "official documents" that Goldstone said the Russian prosecutor was offering. Turley is undoubtedly aware that the Court has referred to documents as things of "value" in the case law.

Nous

Premium Member
The section you are referring to is a section of definitions. I can at least read that much.

So which section of the actual law do you feel applies here?
I quoted and linked to 52 U.S. Code § 30121 back in #34:

52 U.S. Code § 30121. Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

(a) Prohibition. It shall be unlawful for—

(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—

(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;

(B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or

(C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 30104(f)(3) of this title); or

(2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national.​

52 U.S. Code § 30121 - Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

It sounds to me that Junior, according to his own statements and emails, is guilty of violating § 30121(a)(2). By setting up and attending the meeting with the Russian lawyer, he solicited and accepted a foreign national's express or implied promise to make a contribution of a thing of value in connection with a federal election.

Nous

Premium Member
And Trump Jr. finally has admitted to that even though it took him several days and several lies to finally get there. And with Trump Sr. twice admitting that he fired Comey in order to stop the investigation, it's pretty obvious what the Trump camp was up to and why.
I know--at least the Trumps are dumb enough to admit their crimes.

Frankly, I suspect Trump may fire Mueller as the investigation nears completion in order to try and stall the release of the findings or discredit them. If he does that, then all hell may break loose.
By the time Mueller releases findings, the administration is going to be so unraveled. I imagine a drooling, muttering Trump being led out of the White House in a straight jacket.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
By the time Mueller releases findings, the administration is going to be so unraveled. I imagine a drooling, muttering Trump being led out of the White House in a straight jacket.
Ya, they say that he's so angry on a regular basis that he yells at the t.v. and some of his aides.

BTW, some "inside" info has it that Bannon has surged in Trump's mind while Kushner seems to be dropping off at least somewhat because of giving Trump bad advice leading to the firing of Comey.