• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't be an atheist

Fredx10

Don't be atheists, people. Atheism is a trap. To be an atheist, to be "against god," implies that there is a god for you to be against. You are indeed acknowledging the very concept that you abhor. Atheism can only be understood within the umbrella of theism. You are buying into theism in your effort to disavow it. "I don't like tomato soup" acknowledges the existence of tomato soup.

What to do instead? Do nothing. Don't BE anything but yourself. If you're going to join a bunch of so-called "atheists," you might as well just go to church.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why does atheism necessarily imply the existence of God? I don't believe in Mother goose, Thor or Spider-Man, but I don't think my lack of belief implies anything.
And how is atheism a trap? Atheism is no sort of restraint. The harm in it escapes me.

I can confidently assert that I do not, and never have, believed in Lord Omnifac. I'm pretty sure you have never believed in Him either (especially inasmuch as I just made Him up). Does our a-omnifac-ism somehow imply His existence?

An atheist doesn't necessarily disbelieve in God. Atheism, essentially, is more a lack of belief than a disavowal.

A

angellous_evangellous

Why does atheism necessarily imply the existence of God? I don't believe in Mother goose, Thor or Spider-Man, but I don't think my lack of belief implies anything.
And how is atheism a trap? Atheism is no sort of restraint. The harm in it escapes me.

I can confidently assert that I do not, and never have, believed in Lord Omnifac. I'm pretty sure you have never believed in Him either (especially inasmuch as I just made Him up). Does our a-omnifac-ism somehow imply His existence?
An atheist doesn't necessarily disbelieve in God. Atheism, essentially, is more a lack of belief than a disavowal.

Atheism recognizes only a position in reference to an idea - the argument that there is a god from theists. Atheism implies that theism exists but does not affirm or imply the existence of the god which theism represents. :foot:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hmmmm... :sarcastic
I believe in the fabulous, but remain skeptical about myths. ;)

Except on Tuesdays.... :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheism recognizes only a position in reference to an idea - the argument that there is a god from theists. Atheism implies that theism exists but does not affirm or imply the existence of the god which theism represents. :foot:

Untrue, my friend.
There is a minority of atheists who actively deny the existence of God. These are known as Hard, or Strong Atheists.
But Atheism, at its essence, is not a denial of God. It is simply a lack of belief, analogous to the lack of belief you'd have in a character in a fiction novel you might be reading. You don't disavow the existence of said character -- you just don't believe in his actual existence.

This basic or essential atheism is Weak, or Soft atheism. It is what most people mean when they use the term.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Don't be atheists, people. Atheism is a trap. To be an atheist, to be "against god," implies that there is a god for you to be against. You are indeed acknowledging the very concept that you abhor.
Don't be ignorant, mate.

Atheism is not about being "against" god, gods or goddesses.

A

angellous_evangellous

Untrue, my friend.
There is a minority of atheists who actively deny the existence of God. These are known as Hard, or Strong Atheists.
But Atheism, at its essence, is not a denial of God. It is simply a lack of belief, analogous to the lack of belief you'd have in a character in a fiction novel you might be reading. You don't disavow the existence of said character -- you just don't believe in his actual existence.

This basic or essential atheism is Weak, or Soft atheism. It is what most people mean when they use the term.

How does this challenge in any way what I said?:sad:

Originally Posted by angellous_evangellous

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Don't be non-atheists, people. Non-atheism is a trap. To be a non-atheist, to be "against against god," implies that there is an against god for you to be against. You are indeed acknowledging the very concept that you abhor. Non-atheism can only be understood within the umbrella of atheism. You are buying into atheism in your effort to disavow it. "I don't like tomato soup" acknowledges the existence of tomato soup.

What to do instead? Do nothing. Don't BE anything but yourself. If you're going to join a bunch of so-called "non-atheists," you might as well just go to church.

:)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Root words for the win!

Atheism literally means "without god". Not against.

I'm no more against God or Shiva or Jesus than I am against the Invisible Pink Unicorn, leprechauns, or magic gnomes. I simply don't believe any of them exist, and atheist is the simplest way to explain that in one word.

Don't be atheists, people. Atheism is a trap. To be an atheist, to be "against god," implies that there is a god for you to be against. You are indeed acknowledging the very concept that you abhor. Atheism can only be understood within the umbrella of theism. You are buying into theism in your effort to disavow it. "I don't like tomato soup" acknowledges the existence of tomato soup.

What to do instead? Do nothing. Don't BE anything but yourself. If you're going to join a bunch of so-called "atheists," you might as well just go to church.

The word atheist is useful because it helps describe my lack of beleif in any gods. It is not a religion (it's like saying theism by itself is a religion) and it doesnt say that i hate god.

I have no religion :)

Haydaman

Monkey In A Suit
If I were to believe in God, why couldn't I just believe in God? As soon as you start dictating ethics like; no shoes in the Masque, or remain celebit...is the moment that I believe man made it for his own ethics, and not for Gods.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Upon reading the thread: Why are non-atheists debating in here? :eek: This is still the DIR, isn't it?

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Don't BE anything but yourself. If you're going to join a bunch of so-called "atheists," you might as well just go to church.

I'm a Eudaimonist. I'm also an atheist.

What's wrong with going to church? I may be an atheist, but I'm not an achurchist. :)

eudaimonia,

Mark

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

I'm not an athiest, but I am going to assume you are Christian, given your rant against Athiest, which means I am still against your God.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Atheism can only be understood within the umbrella of theism.
WHOA! We have an umbrella??? Can I use it in the next hurricane?

If you're going to join a bunch of so-called "atheists," you might as well just go to church.
Now, if that ain't a resounding condemnation of "church". Bwahahahahahaha! Bwahahahahahahahaahahahahaha! Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

gnomon

The term atheism, as evidenced on this and many other forums, is practically useless. For now on I'm apathetic. In other words, when someone starts to ask what my religion is I'll just say "Who gives a ____" and end the pointless conversation then and there.

Or better yet, since atheism is without belief in something that is not there we should choose another term where atheism is the root word describing a state of mind and the prefix would describe theists. I know a good term already in existence.

Anyone guess what it is?