• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Double-blind Prayer Efficacy Test -- Really?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

ignoring what you wrote is not erased with "No I haven't". :D
Are you for real?

Sorry but I fail to see how this addresses the point at hand. Cancer treatments are testable via the scientific method. Their efficacy is demonstrated in the results they produce. That's why we can roughly calculate survival rates for various cancers and various treatments. If they worked only at the rate of chance, they'd be deemed ineffective.

But none of this address the problem with God's refusal to answer the prayers of amputees and parents of starving and/or sick children all across the globe. If you are saying prayer works at the rate of chance, then you are essentially saying they're useless.

Oh wait, I see now, you're trying to obfuscate the point so you don't have to answer my questions.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Yes it does.

That doesn't make any sense. And that's a big IF. As far as we can tell, minds are products of brains.

I am a lump of meat with a brain that creates thoughts and responds to stimuli. There's plenty of room there for self-actualization.
Sigh... you aren't being consistent with your atheist beliefs. You don't create anything if you are just a product of chance. You just think what evolution programs you to think.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Sigh... you aren't being consistent with your atheist beliefs. You don't create anything if you are just a product of chance. You just think what evolution programs you to think.
Still doesn't make sense.
I'm still experiencing thoughts and having reactions to stimuli.

"You don't create anything if you are a product of chance" doesn't mean anything.
My brain creates all kinds of things. I can create all kinds of things.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Are you for real?

Sorry but I fail to see how this addresses the point at hand. Cancer treatments are testable via the scientific method. Their efficacy is demonstrated in the results they produce. That's why we can roughly calculate survival rates for various cancers and various treatments. If they worked only at the rate of chance, they'd be deemed ineffective.

But none of this address the problem with God's refusal to answer the prayers of amputees and parents of starving and/or sick children all across the globe. If you are saying prayer works at the rate of chance, then you are essentially saying they're useless.

Oh wait, I see now, you're trying to obfuscate the point so you don't have to answer my questions.
OK... I think we have a definite on this one!

I don't want to go circular on this one.

If you would like to take it in a better and different direction?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
And yet there are other studies that say otherwise.

Could there be variables that are not addressed in the studies?

But are those other studies double blind? No.

And yes, of course there *could* be variables not addressed. If you think that makes a difference, determine those variables, control for them, and do another double blind study.

Could there be variables not addressed for any failed treatment? Sure, of course. That doesn't make it reasonable to explain away the results until such variables have been identified and the other studies done.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Objective reasoning can't exist in a godless universe. And many atheists recognize that. You are just a meat robot in a universe created by chance.

Of course there can be objective reasoning in a godless universe and it can even be done by meat robots.

All that needs to happen is that there be an objective reality that the meat robots have some access to and the ability to find regularities and to test their ideas.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Not if reason is unreliable... maybe you only think there's a dog there... maybe your mind created an image of a dog.

And that is why I have to be skeptical and realize the possibility of hallucinations. Further testing can be done.

You seem to be caught up in the problem of solipsism and think that the only way out is via theism. That I deny.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No it doesn't. If there's more than the physical mind then there's room for self actualization. Otherwise you are just a meat robot.

You seem to be fixated on meat robots. And why a meat robot could not be self-actualized is not explained or how a supernatural gets around that problem.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Once again, the phrase 'just a product of chance' is not descriptive of a universe governed by natural laws. yes, I am a product of natural laws that allow for sensitive dependence on initial conditions. That is NOT chance.

Evolution doesn't program at that refined of a level. It allows for a LOT of variation because of individual circumstances and that is where self-actualization (because of different desires) occurs. I *am* a physical being and so my desires and goals are part of the functioning of my physical brain. So, yes, what I want can be realized by what I do. That is self-actualization.

Kenny

Premium Member
But are those other studies double blind? No.

And yes, of course there *could* be variables not addressed. If you think that makes a difference, determine those variables, control for them, and do another double blind study.

Could there be variables not addressed for any failed treatment? Sure, of course. That doesn't make it reasonable to explain away the results until such variables have been identified and the other studies done.
Agreed....

That being said, I have listed 3 easy ones that weren't part of the equation and thus shouldn't be quoted as a standard.

(of course, it was a Christian prayer study and thus I am stating it as such)

signature below

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Agreed....

That being said, I have listed 3 easy ones that weren't part of the equation and thus shouldn't be quoted as a standard.

(of course, it was a Christian prayer study and thus I am stating it as such)

signature below

And again, design a study that addresses those objections and we can do it over and see what happens.

But until then, you cannot say that prayer is effective because the best study so far simply doesn't show that. in fact, it shows the opposite. this is no different than someone claiming a cancer study showing a drug doesn't work is invalid because the procedure isn't right. Perhaps, but we don't know that. Design a study taking the objection into consideration and redo the work and see what happens.

Kenny

Premium Member
And again, design a study that addresses those objections and we can do it over and see what happens.

But until then, you cannot say that prayer is effective because the best study so far simply doesn't show that. in fact, it shows the opposite. this is no different than someone claiming a cancer study showing a drug doesn't work is invalid because the procedure isn't right. Perhaps, but we don't know that. Design a study taking the objection into consideration and redo the work and see what happens.
Depends on which study you look at.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
am a product of natural laws that allow for sensitive dependence on initial conditions. That is NOT chance.
Nonsense. Laws created by chance can't be said to create meaning or free will.

"There’s a desperate charm to that idea, but we’re quite beyond it now. The mechanisms of decision making, the chemistry of empathy, the physics of neural plasticity, each gnaws away every day at the few remaining supports of a free will model of individuality. We are forced to either redefine free will to something existent but meaningless, or chuck the idea altogether and make peace with finding the subtle joys of our exquisite programmability."

(Atheist Dale DeBakcsy )