• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Double-blind Prayer Efficacy Test -- Really?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
By looking at the definition.

"One who denies the existence of God, or of a supreme intelligent being."

That doesn't leave room for maybes.

You cherry picked. And you did not even include a link. That is a terrible fail on your part:

Frist source that I come to:

Atheism - Wikipedia

Atheism, in the broadest sense, is an absence of belief in the existence of deities.

The second source that I came across:

What is Atheism?

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.
Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Third source:

Atheism and Agnosticism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

1. Definitions of “Atheism”
The word “atheism” is polysemous—it has multiple related meanings. In the psychological sense of the word, atheism is a psychological state, specifically the state of being an atheist, where an atheist is defined as someone who is not a theist and a theist is defined as someone who believes that God exists (or that there are gods). This generates the following definition: atheism is the psychological state of lacking the belief that God exists.

Once again, if you want to know what atheism is ask an atheist. Do not ask a Christian. If you want to know what Christianity is ask a Christian (but not just one since there are roughly 40,000 sects!) Do not ask a Muslim.

Tell me are you okay with a Muslim's definition of Christianity?

You failed and failed terribly even after being warned. Why did you think that I could not easily refute your incorrect definition?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I disagree. In my experience with both, the evidence seems to point otherwise.
Some people's experience is that mermaids are real, I don't believe them either, and for precisely the same reason, because when subjected to objective critical scrutiny the results do not support the claims.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Nope, atheism is a lack or absence of belief.
No, that agnostic.

Dude! Words have meanings! You can't just change the meanings to fit your whims.
If you choose to change the clear meaning of words, no one can take you seriously.

:rolleyes::facepalm: I have seldom seen such obvious own goals.

Atheism
noun
  1. disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
Agnostic
noun
  1. a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
That is what you are doing. What do you think "atheism" means? The best way to find out would be to ask an atheist. If you cherry pick a definition I can pick a correct one.
Or he could go to a dictionary, since these reflect common usage and understanding. His stubborn denial of the definitions reflected in major dictionaries here, make his assertions something an own goal. Especially that post about no one taking someone seriously if they change the meaning of words.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
By looking at the definition.

"One who denies the existence of God, or of a supreme intelligent being."

That doesn't leave room for maybes.

That isn't the definition, you haven't offered a link to any citation, which speaks volumes.

Atheism
noun
  1. lack of belief in the existence of God or gods
Oxford English online linked above, and the previous citations are for Google. A lot of apologists use obscure religious encyclopaedias and try to pretend they represent common usage and understanding.

PruePhillip

Of course I can, don't be silly, your claims about its nature are risible, since you have claimed it cannot be comprehended. .

So space and time are part of what we call our 'universe'.
That is, the sum of all physical entities - even any multiverses.

And at some point this universe began.
But what made it begin, gave it properties and importantly, for what reason?

Whatever entity-being-alien physics created this world of space and time operated on different principles.
And if this thing created time then can we assume it doesn't have time itself? How does a realm operate without time?
So how can we be asking how some alien entity 'began' when beginning only concerns states with time in it?