• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Duelling proselytizers

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Mormon missionaries are back in town here.

Seems like they're mostly targeting greenhouse workers when they're in town for shopping, so I see them a lot on my town's main street, trying to engage with people.

They're doing their thing a stone's throw away from the small park where the JWs usually set up, also targetting greenhouse workers.

So far, I haven't noticed the two sets of proselytizers engage with each other directly, but I got to wondering why they don't.

As much as I would find it entertaining for the Mormons and the JWs to hold a public debate in that park to both try to win the hearts and minds of their audience, we don't generally see proselytizing religions engaging head-to-head like that.

Why do you think they don't?

Tomef

Seems like they're mostly targeting greenhouse workers when they're in town for shopping, so I see them a lot on my town's mwin street, trying to engage with people.

They're doing their thing a stone's throw away from the small park where the JWs usually set up, also targetting greenhouse workers.

So far, I haven't noticed the two sets of proselytizers engage with each other directly, but I got to wondering why they don't.

As much as I would find it entertaining for the Mormons and the JWs to hold a public debate in that park to both win the hearts and minds of their audience, we don't generally see proselytizing religions engaging head-to-head like that.

Could be pretty funny. 'No, Jesus doesn't have a spaceship' 'Yes he does, but he didn't return last century' 'he never went to America!' Actually more depressing that funny.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Because they understand the other is secure in their beliefs and will likely reject what the other says. Proselytizers seek out people who will listen...those that are undecided or unsure of their beliefs.

For the same reason presidential candidates are dumping campaign advertising money in my state as opposed to Wyoming or Massachusetts.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Because they understand the other is secure in their beliefs and will likely reject what the other says. Proselytizers seek out people who will listen...those that are undecided or unsure of their beliefs.

For the same reason presidential candidates are dumping campaign advertising money in my state as opposed to Wyoming or Massachusetts.
A public debate is about convincing audience members, not your opponent.

Even in their proselytizing material, it's rare to see proselytizers act as if they're in competition with other proselytizers. I mean, here we've got proselytizing targetting people mostly from Latin American countries, so generally mostly Catholic if they're religious, so I'm sure the JWs have ready arguments for why a Catholic should abandon their faith and become a JW themselves, but if you look at the proselytizing tracts they hand out, it's as if the Mormons (or the SDA, Mennonite, and "non-denominational" churches, all proselytizing to the same group in different ways) don't exist.

The messaging seems to be always "we're your ONLY option and here's why" and never "we're the BEST option and here's why we're better than the others also trying to grab you."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Seems like they're mostly targeting greenhouse workers when they're in town for shopping, so I see them a lot on my town's main street, trying to engage with people.

As much as I would find it entertaining for the Mormons and the JWs to hold a public debate in that park to both try to win the hearts and minds of their audience, we don't generally see proselytizing religions engaging head-to-head like that.

I saw it once, back when I was in college. In the free speech area of the campus, it was common to hear people preaching about Christianity or the Bible or giving their testimony to passers by who would hardly take any notice.

Occasionally, there was this one guy who would preach while wearing his PhD gown and speaking. Sometimes, he wouldn't even speak, but jsut hold up a large copy of Bible. One time, I saw a professor standing next to him, holding up a textbook that said "Physics" on the front.

On one particular occasion, I saw another person who had achieved some local notoriety for various things, one of which was his claim to be the Messiah. Both were quite well-versed in the Bible, so their exchange basically amounted to trading Bible verses back and forth. It was kind of interesting to watch, although it was so long ago I don't remember all the particulars. I just remember a point during the exchange where the guy claiming to be the Messiah was starting to lose his voice and go hoarse, so the wife of the other guy came out and gave him a cup of water. I thought that was a nice thing to do.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Because they hope to engage those who may be receptive. I have zero desire to don my Harris to President t-shirt and seek out folks wearing MAGA baseball caps.

There are plenty of debates between Democrats and Republicans. Most campaign materials try to make a case for why one party or candidate is better than the other.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Both were quite well-versed in the Bible, so their exchange basically amounted to trading Bible verses back and forth.
Yes, one says, "Verse 7 makes it clear that this is true." Then the other says, "But you're forgetting what Jesus said here in the gospels." "Ah, but what about in Paul's writing where he says this." And on and on.

They all have their favorite verses that, to them, makes it clear... that they are right.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not convinced that they don't.

Doubtless, scholars of religious studies have examined the phenomena of proselytizing quite thoroughly, including this specific phenomena. It's not my area of expertise so it is going to take me some time to dig into the proper research and references. Probably more than I have time time or inclination to investigate if I'm honest.

Pawpatrol

Aside for what has been mentioned about being receptive, such people are rarely specially knowledgeable about their religion, book and "the other" religion, so it would be quite difficult to debate about it with someone who probably knows their religion better.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

They also, in my experience, don't go head to head with anyone studied and well spoken in religious matters not compatible to conversion.

GoodAttention

Whilst the JW’s are busy polishing their soap box, the Mormon’s are raising money for children with leukaemia.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Whilst the JW’s are busy polishing their soap box, the Mormon’s are raising money for children with leukaemia.
What?

The Mormons regularly fly kids here from the US on "missions." They seem to be spending much more on their "soapbox" than the JWs, who just get local members to volunteer.

GoodAttention

What?

The Mormons regularly fly kids here from the US on "missions." They seem to be spending much more on their "soapbox" than the JWs, who just get local members to volunteer.

I am very against the JW belief that blood cannot be passed from one person to another.

Unfortunately, people with blood cancers, including children, need this.

Jedster

What?

In student days(late 60s), my university was next to an LDS temple(South Kensington). I had many conversations with them. They were all youngsters(18-25) and very enthusiastic about their mission as well as being sociable.