• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Egyptian Atheist Sentenced To One Year in Prison

Should US military assistance be tied with guarantees of human rights?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

gsa

Earlier this week, the "secular" government of Egypt continued its crackdown on atheism, homosexuality and other unpopular minority opinions. A university student, Sherif Gaber, was sentenced to a year in prison on Monday for "contempt of religion." What were his crimes?

Gaber told Daily News Egypt that his troubles at Suez Canal University began when he challenged a science teacher who said homosexuals should "be crucified in the middle of the streets". Daily News Egypt continues:

"According to Gaber, a lecturer from the university proceeded to print posts from Gaber’s Facebook page that questioned religion. In front of a class, the lecturer declared that he would submit them as evidence to the university’s president and the prosecutor general."

Last month another Egyptian student, 21-year-old Karim al-Banna, was given a three-year sentence for announcing his atheism on Facebook (and thereby "insulting Islam")

When the US resumed military funding for the Egyptian government last year, Secretary of State John Kerry claimed that in "candid" talks with the government he had "emphasised also our strong support for upholding the universal rights and freedoms of all Egyptians including freedom of expression, peaceful assembly and association."

So much for that. What should we make of this news? Is reporting on it "Islamophobia" run amok? Is the US justified in resuming funding for the Egyptian military? Should those funds come with strings?

Baladas

An Págánach
he challenged a science teacher

Allah, help us all...

Irrational fears, deliberate ignorance and absolute power tend to have disturbing results.

I can't help but be reminded of bratty children when I think about the way regimes like this behave. They make sure that no one can disagree with them, because only they can be right.

That's how petty it is...and it costs so many people their very lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: gsa

gsa

How about Saudi Arabia, and other Muslim states, just not doing that to begin with?

Servant of the One has explained his position: These "insults" to Islam should be punished with banishment or execution, depending on the severity of the offense. You are free to not express your disbelief of course, because there is no compulsion in religion, just not free to express that belief and risk running afoul of apostasy or "insult to Islam" laws.

catch22

Islam happened.

Happens all the time. 21 Egyptian Christians were just murdered the other day. Surprisingly, Egypt went to war over it, or rather, started bombing likely targets from the organization who did said murders. I honestly didn't expect that reaction, but I suppose, some lines are too wide, even for Egypt.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I chose OTHER. I believe it should be YES, with human rights, however, in reality, sometime we have to give military assistance to problem countries, to keep the evil away from our own shores.

Reactions: gsa