• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elvis sightings

dan

There are two types of faith--that which is based on empirical research, and that which is based on nothing.

A very minimalistic view of an incredibly complex argument.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ceridwen writes,

“…why do people revere Jesus for his miracles and not Achilles for his miraculous strength? What's the difference? Someday, once Christianity has run it's course, the bible will be on the same shelf as the Illiad and other mythological writings.”

I would guess that for you (and for many of my friends), the bible is already kept on the same shelf as the Iliad and other mythology. That’s where it belongs in my opinion too.

I once read an estimate that there have been over 100,000 religions come and gone since the caves of France and Spain were painted during the Upper Paleolithic. The religious impulse seems to be a constant of human nature, albeit it has taken many forms over the ages. I do not expect religion itself to die out – ever. But new religions will replace old ones.

There’s something all-too-human, Ceridwen, in the fact that the stories in a tabloid newspaper of today bear such striking resemblance to the miracle stories in the bible. I still recall the excitement I felt listening to my scoutmaster tell his urban legends. I could easily have become attached to that excitement, and if I had, I would today be a junkie for tabloids – perhaps even a junkie for the Gospel. There is something in human nature that wants the laws of nature suspended, wants anything to be possible, forever wants Elvis to come back from the dead.

Sunstone, that was a very good post and well said, I completely agree. Let's take it one step further, though: is religion/the desire for logic to be suspended inherently 'bad' or 'good' overall? Or is it neutral?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Mr. Spinkles asks:

“…is religion/the desire for logic to be suspended inherently ‘bad’ or ‘good’ overall? Or is it neutral?”

If I were a Buddhist, I think I might point out that people become attached to ideas as easily as they become attached to material things. It might sound a little silly to say that someone can become attached to a notion such as “Elvis has been sighted in the vegetable section of a Las Vegas supermarket.” But I think it only sounds silly. People really do get attached to such notions. (In non-Buddhist terms, they “self-identify” with the notion.)

The Buddhists go further and state that attachment causes dukka, which is usually translated as “suffering” or sometimes “out-of-jointedness” (I hope I’ve spelled “dukka” correctly). Perhaps a way to test whether attachment causes suffering is to find someone who believes Elvis is alive, vigorously contradict them, and see if they can take it serenely, without emotional pain. There is no reason we shouldn’t happily experiment.

So, it intrigues me, Mr. Spinkles, that from a Buddhist standpoint, the question of whether a desire for logic to be suspended is “good”, “bad” or “neutral” can be reduced to a question of whether that desire leads to attachment. That’s one way of looking at it, and perhaps it is an interesting one.

How would you answer your question?

Thank you for the compliment!

I think you said it very well. I would add, though, that it is possible that if a person can behave rationally, but needs to believe in some tall tales to be happy, then those tall tales are a good thing because they make people happy (hopeful, secure, whatever).

Yerda

Veteran Member
I bet Jesus coudn't even sing.

Why not abandon Christianity and become Elvis impersonators? I don't know what's tougher, listening to Christians talk anout Jeebus or Elvis fans talk about the one they call The King.

Yerda

Veteran Member
In regards to my last post, I did not intend to offend anyone. That is, if it is not censored for belittling fellow members of the forum (which I already admit I am guilty of). Also I would like to promise that I will learn to spell one day.