• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End of Suffering

MonkeyFire

If suffering ended would you help it or hate it? When this happens, I think this event would happen in mankind where we join as one, as something changes. To be a theist at the tree of life, knowing that we are the first of kind, is to be supreme.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If suffering ended would you help it or hate it? When this happens, I think this event would happen in mankind where we join as one, as something changes. To be a theist at the tree of life, knowing that we are the first of kind, is to be supreme.
I would prefer just to stay realistic about it.

The good news is we can minimize suffering and learn not to be attached to it when it does come around.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

To me, suffering is a challenge to overcome. I feel a sense of accomplishment as I overcome things which cause me suffering.
Without the suffering to overcome, I think I would miss the sense of accomplishment.
Not saying I'd hate it. Just not sure what I'd do with myself.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
No you would not hate it?
Or No you would not help it?

Then Next.

You asked: "If suffering ended would you help it or hate it?"

My answer was perfectly clear (which is more than might be said about the question).

So ...

Q: If suffering ended would you help it?​
A: No. One cannot end what no longer exists.​
Q: If suffering ended would you hate it"​
A: No. To bemoan the end of suffering is sick.​

Next?

GoodAttention

My answer was perfectly clear (which is more than might be said about the question).

So ...

Next?

Q: If suffering ended would you help it?
A: No. One cannot end what no longer exists.

Did you mean "One cannot help what no longer exists"?

Monkeyfire asked.

So ...

So "Neither" seems the clearest answer to the one question.
Thanks.

MonkeyFire

Suffering seems to be an enigma. Maybe God could not understand suffering as a man, and the only answer was to see what life would do to it.

Suffering seems to be an enigma. Maybe God could not understand suffering as a man, and the only answer was to see what life would do to it.
The entrance of suffering into the universe came about because of the emmerging of a will besides the will of God.
Though this has been a very long epoch of suffering it is temporary for all who are brought again back to the one will of God.

God is able to engineer all things in the universe including suffering for the accomplishment of His purpose to those who love God.
As it says in Romans 8:28 -

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
Because those whom He foreknew, He also predestinated to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the Firstborn among many brothers;

There are a few passages that give us assurance that God will terminate suffering, death, and tears one day for eternity.
That is at the manifestation of the sons of God - sonship - human beings mingled, united, permeated, and saturated with the divine nature.

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the coming glory to be revealed upon us.

For the anxious watching of the creation eagerly awaits the revelation of the sons of God.

For the creation was made subject to vanity, not of its own will, but because of Him who subjected it,

In hope that the creation itself will also be freed from the slavery of corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

For we know that the whole creation groans together and travails in pain together until now.

And not only so, but we ourselves also, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan in ourselves, eagerly awaiting sonship, the redemption of our body. (Romans 8:18-23)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If suffering ended humans wouldn't be around to ask or answer the question - we wouldn't exist. Suffering is inherent to life and existence. I am not interested in seeing about the end of all life and existence.

If suffering ended humans wouldn't be around to ask or answer the question - we wouldn't exist. Suffering is inherent to life and existence. I am not interested in seeing about the end of all life and existence.
I do not believe no suffering = no human beings. The testimony of the resurrected Christ is my evidence that
one conquerored torment, suffering, both from man and from God WITH death itself.

So we have one from history as a garuantee that death with all its byproducts to man is overcome by the Son of God.

But now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who nullified death and brought life and incorruption to light through the gospel, (2 Tim. 1:10)

God who transcends all time, has given us a glimpse into the eternal age in which all tears of suffering He completely wipes away.
He brings a numberless crowd out of the total great tribulation of human history since man lived on the earth.

These are those who come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Because of this they are before the throne of God and serve Him day and night in His temple; and He who sits upon the throne will tabernacle over them.

They will not hunger anymore, neither will they thirst anymore, neither will the sun beat upon them, nor any heat;

For the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and guide them to springs of waters of life; and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes. (Rev. 7:14-17)

One more passage.

And I heard a loud voice out of the throne, saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will tabernacle with them, and they will be His peoples, and God Himself will be with them and be their God.

And He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death will be no more, nor will there be sorrow or crying or pain anymore; for the former things have passed away.

And He who sits on the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And He said, Write, for these words are faithful and true.

And He said to me, They have come to pass. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give to him who thirsts from the spring of the water of life freely. (Rev. 21:3-6)

As I see this sin, rebellion, misfortune, death, suffering, and tears are teminated and the one will of God permeates the universe on into eternity.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not believe no suffering = no human beings. The testimony of the resurrected Christ is my evidence that
one conquerored torment, suffering, both from man and from God WITH death itself.
Yeah, I'm loosely familiar with Christianity's fixation on the topic of suffering and telling tales of its end. Personally, I don't find denial of the necessity (and inevitability) of suffering to be healthy, but that is how some humans reconcile that existential challenge and all that really matters is that the story is doing its job for those who find use in it. That non-Christians like me find it distasteful is irrelevant.

Yeah, I'm loosely familiar with Christianity's fixation on the topic of suffering and telling tales of its end.
You mean with absolute certainty you know the "tale" of God bringing death and suffering to an end is not true?
If you know this to be a lie how do you know it?

Personally, I don't find denial of the necessity (and inevitability) of suffering to be healthy,
I didn't deny the necessity of suffering. I said it will have a conclusion after its work has been used by God
to assist in the completion of His purpose.

but that is how some humans reconcile that existential challenge and all that really matters is that the story is doing its job for those who find use in it. That non-Christians like me find it distasteful is irrelevant.

For the record I did not, nor does the Bible I trust say suffering is not meaningful.
To say it is temporary is not to say it is not meaningful.

The greatest of all sufferings, I believe, is that God Himself as a man suffered under the killing of His own creatures in their
blindness. No agony exceeded that of the perfect Righteous Creator as a man suffered to accomplish eternal redemption for His
tormentors.

"And when they came to the place called The Skull, there they crucified Him and the criminals, one on the right and one on the left.
And Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:33,34)

He petitioned His Father for the salvation of His tormentors. And I believe God answered that strong prayer.
He tasted death on behalf of everything.

But we see Jesus, who was made a little inferior to the angels because of the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death on behalf of everything.

For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and through whom are all things, in leading many sons into glory, to make the Author of their salvation perfect through sufferings. (Hebrews 2:9,10)

I'm definitely persuaded of this.