• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enformy

ColorWheel

Enformationist
Is anyone here aware of the Enformy Theory? If so, what is your take on the relationship between thermodynamics, entropy, and enformy... and what do you think happens when the 'organized' (living) reduces to the unorganized (dead)? What is left over?

There is an excellent article called "Getting Over the Code Delusion" that discusses how we are much more than DNA coding.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Enformy, from what I can tell, has nothing to do with thermodynamics or entropy. Also, it is silly to claim that living is organized and dead is disorganized in a thermodynamic sense.

ColorWheel

Enformationist
I haven't been here long enough to post links, so I will just recommend that you read these articles, all by academic scholars.

The Theory of Enformed Systems:
A Paradigm of Organization and Holistic Systems

Mind Over Matter: The Coming Revolution in the Natural Sciences

Classical Entropy Measures

A New View of Gravity

Getting Over the Code Delusion

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
I have gone through the fundamentals of enformy. And like I said before, enformy has nothing to do with physical entropy or thermodynamics of a system. It has more to do with 'paranormal' phenomena and I am not so sure I buy it either.

ColorWheel

Enformationist
Quoting the Theory of Enformed Systems:

"The evolution of the meaning of energy illustrates the departure of scientific ideas from the strictly material premise. This term was used widely in the 18th and early 19th century to identify a material substance under the Caloric theory of heat. Because Carnot and Clausius, the originators of thermodynamics, conceptualized energy in this way, they mistakenly described laws that didn't apply to reality. For instance, Clausius was thinking of a material substance that moves when he characterized the entropy lawþthe second law of thermodynamics: "Heat cannot, of itself, move from a cold to a hot body." Metalinguistically, then, both the entropy law and the first law of thermodynamics (that energy is conserved) were nullities. Nevertheless, using updated concepts, thermodynamics remains a useful scientific tool.

It was not until the middle of the 19th century that the Caloric theory was replaced by the mechanical theory of heat; i.e., heat reflects the average velocity (hence, kinetic energy) of individual particles. Because the first law of thermodynamics was based on the false materialist premise, Helmholtz—who conceptualized energy as nonmaterial—is credited with discovering the conservation of energy. Energy—the capacity to perform work—thereafter became as central to scientific thinking as mass: Both are universal, fundamental, conserved, nonmaterial principles. Moreover, these nonmaterial principles interact profoundly with matter to account for the behavior of physical systems.

Traditionally, mass and energy have not been assigned to a named category. Because there are only two of them, it is easy enough to identify them simply as mass, energy, or mass/energy. Nevertheless, it is useful to categorize these quantities as "principles," corresponding to the definition in the Oxford English Dictionary (OED):

Principle: an origin, source; source of action. A fundamental source from which something proceeds; a primary element, force, or law which produces or determines particular results; the ultimate basis upon which the existence of something depends; cause, in the widest sense.
Categorizing mass and energy as principles identifies them as nonmaterial, universal, fundamental, conserved quantities. Moreover, establishing this category prepares us to anticipate additional principles. Indeed, I have postulated the existence of a third principle: enformy, the capacity to organize (Watson, 1993). Enformy is foundational to Systemics in the same way that mass is foundational to classical mechanics.".......

If you do contemplate this possibility, and then read forward through the other listed articles it seems to make sense. It's like any holistic system. You need to look at the sum of the parts. :)

meogi

ColorWheel said:
It's like any holistic system. You need to look at the sum of the parts. :)
So we have entropy and thermodynamics plus zero? Is organization ever defined?

ColorWheel

Enformationist
My thought on it is very much like the author of the paper I mentioned above,
Mind Over Matter: The Coming Revolution in the Natural Sciences.

People choose a direction in their research, whether they are a scientist, philosophist, or clergy. If no one is seriously approaching the organization aspect, how will we ever define it?

Those who hold staunch perspectives (dogmatic belief or absence of any belief), as to how they regard or disregard anything, often go through life with blinders on so that they force themselves to only see one perspective. And that is what holds us back from learning.

meogi

Well, I wish them the best.

I still don't have an understanding of what their perspective even is. And yes, I've read through most of what you've tried linking.

ellenjanuary

Enformy is the capacity to organize... the heck does that mean; and why are all subsequent definitions less meaningful?

Buncha woo, you ask me. ;)