• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enlightenment and Paranormal

The Dreamer

Dreamer
I am an occultist and have a deep respect for most religions and especially Dharmic religions. So I was wondering if when you have approached to Enlightenment or generally more deep into spirituality as opposed to materialism you have also experienced some paranormal events in your life. You know when you approach to enlightenment the world begins to change.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I am an occultist and have a deep respect for most religions and especially Dharmic religions. So I was wondering if when you have approached to Enlightenment or generally more deep into spirituality as opposed to materialism you have also experienced some paranormal events in your life. You know when you approach to enlightenment the world begins to change.
Can you give me some examples on what you mean by 'paranormal experiences' in this context?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I am an occultist and have a deep respect for most religions and especially Dharmic religions.

Namaskāra. When I was in my late teens and early 20s, I was deeply interested in Western esotericism. The experiences that I had with theurgic practices in that context were good, but it wasn't really the tradition for me.

So I was wondering if when you have approached to Enlightenment or generally more deep into spirituality as opposed to materialism you have also experienced some paranormal events in your life.

Many of us have heard that individuals who maintain their sādhanā or spiritual practice eventually achieve what are called siddhis. A siddhi is supernatural in the sense that it is highly unusual with respect to the way that things naturally work. One example of a siddhi is laghimā, which is the ability to make one's body weightless. Another example of a siddhi is prāpti, the ability to appear in any place instantaneously. You can read about more of them at this link. Such siddhis sound useful. Sometimes, one might achieve a siddhi that is seemingly useless. I once heard Swami Sarvapriyananda tell a story about Ramakrishna Paramahamsa encountering a renunciate (I think) who was able to make a flash of light shoot out of his back. What would one do with that?

I would not call myself fully enlightened, but so far in my spiritual journey, I have developed more self-control, a more patient attitude, a kinder disposition, a 'larger' perspective on everything, and less attachment to things of saṃsāra. These developments are beneficial to others and myself. My devotion to Śiva is also growing. Such devotion bestows both bhukti (enjoyments) and mukti (liberation) according to the Śiva-purāṇa.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I am an occultist and have a deep respect for most religions and especially Dharmic religions. So I was wondering if when you have approached to Enlightenment or generally more deep into spirituality as opposed to materialism you have also experienced some paranormal events in your life.
I have an aversion to the term "paranormal" when it comes to describing mystical experiences, because while at first they can seem quite unusual from what is experienced day-to-day in transitional reality, as they become more commonplace, consistent, and ultimately stable, such state of existence is quite normal.

You know when you approach to enlightenment the world begins to change.
The world doesn't change, at least in the way one might think. It's one's perspective, not the world, that changes.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you give me some examples on what you mean by 'paranormal experiences' in this context?
Anything that is against the laws of physics and also low probability odd coincidences happening.
The laws of physics only apply to transactional reality...to that which is within the bounds of time, space, and causation. I don't consider something paranormal just because it exists outside of this perceived reality.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, that is the natural evolution of things. I generally think of it in terms of frequency to see the change. Having am inner or paranormal event once is far different than having it once a day. The entire idea, however, depends on the nature of the school or sect or sampradaya within a dharmic faith.

ajay0

Yes, I had noticed that after visiting enlightened masters or reputed temples with high positive energy levels, situations and circumstances usually become auspicious for a certain time period, few days or weeks. Things go very smoothly and well without unpleasant issues.

Similarly, after meditating in Brahmamuhurtham ( 4:00-6:00 AM ) the day usually goes very well for me and things are auspicious and good usually. I had heard other people also commenting on positives of Brahmamuhurtham meditation flowing to the whole day. If I had not done the Brahmamuhurtham meditation for a day, things usually are pretty mediocre that day.

Going to places with negative energies( past history of crime, suicide and violence, untidy) or meeting people with negative energies( due to trauma, depression) usually results in inauspiciousness for a certain period of time where things do not go smoothly.

Last edited:

The Dreamer

Dreamer
I have an aversion to the term "paranormal" when it comes to describing mystical experiences, because while at first they can seem quite unusual from what is experienced day-to-day in transitional reality, as they become more commonplace, consistent, and ultimately stable, such state of existence is quite normal.

The world doesn't change, at least in the way one might think. It's one's perspective, not the world, that changes.

Hmm I think I get what you mean. When we say "paranormal" vs "normal" it is like operating from the materialistic view of the world. Because nowadays what we call "normal" is the materialistic definition.

While I only rarely have these experiences and they aren't part of my daily life yet I think if I had these experiences frequently those would become the "normal" Dayside of my life :smile:

But I think I will still need to use the world "paranormal" in my future posts in order to be able to converse with people.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm zero low on paranormal (and supernatural).
Same here yet will still keep open the scientific approach for anyone who can provide and prove adequately of such things in light no conclusions have been arrived as of yet to settle the matter.

Twilight Hue

Being able to become lucid in dreams is a big deal and it also feels amazing.
It's a reality all its own, but cannot apply in the waking world unless someone can prove and shows it can aside from how it influences the person who had lucid dreams.

I had a couple lucid dreams myself. The phenomenon is certainly unique but I wouldn't call it paranormal or supernatural.

The Dreamer

Dreamer
I've had more than my fair share of them...

But I'm not enlightened yet. :(

I think being able to have these paranormal experiences are important because they are like bugs in this carefully designed illusion we call the reality. If we can find enough bugs to exploit we can crack the code of the illusion.

Twilight Hue

I think being able to have these paranormal experiences are important because they are like bugs in this carefully designed illusion we call the reality. If we can find enough bugs to exploit we can crack the code of the illusion.
Sounds like you have some work to do.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is no paranormal in enlightenment. Yeah, the perspective is different.
If we can find enough bugs to exploit we can crack the code of the illusion.
The code of illusion can be broken by abandoning prejudices completely.

Last edited: