• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical issues behind drug taking...

Cleffa

What are some of the ethical reasons in supporting the statement that "Taking drugs is wrong."? Are there ethical reasons against this statement?

As opposed to crime and murder that would harm others, drug taking does not. Sure we can talk about the process of planting or producing drugs that might be unethical but are there some stronger arguments against drugs through ethics??

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Since most drug use is illegal, using drugs can have devastating effects on your career. You can lose your job, which means you won't be able to support yourself and your family. I believe it is unethical to take that sort of unnecessary risk and thus endanger yourself or others or force others to take care of you because of your decision to use drugs.

Drugs also harm your body. I believe that is unethical also.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Taking drugs is not wrong.
Medical drugs can boost health.
Coffee is my drug of choice. Nicotine has useful side effects.
Cannabis is efficacious in relief of chronic pain.
Drugs are good.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The thing that bothers me about drug use is that some drugs used recklessly will make the thinking organ malfunction.
If we aspire to libertarian goals (eg, individuals make rational decisions, self sufficiency, honor the independence of
others), such an impairment harms those goals.

Cleffa

I think this boils down to whether the ethics behind drug taking is absolute or relative. If it's relative then we can't actually support the statement that "Taking drugs is wrong" through ethical reasons because ethical values are relative. If this is so, then would this mean all the laws that are prohibiting drug taking (eg. laws and rules in schools prohibiting students from taking drugs) have no ethical reasons to support and is only due to absolute values in ethics. Then the student can argue that these rules are prohibiting human freedom? I am confused lol any ideas?

Cleffa

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm doing a high school past exam on moral and religious studies and one of the question asks:
You discovered one of your friend at school is taking drugs.
a) you decide to report this to the school representatives. Give one ethical principle that would support your decision.
But what if as I said, that there are no absolute ethical principles and is only based on relative ethic values? Isn't this question already assuming that you, the student already has an ethical value on drug taking?
Or is this just a very tough question lol?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The reason I'm asking this is because I'm doing a high school past exam on moral and religious studies and one of the question asks:
a) you decide to report this to the school representatives. Give one ethical principle that would support your decision.
But what if as I said, that there are no absolute ethical principles and is only based on relative ethic values? Isn't this question already assuming that you, the student already has an ethical value on drug taking?
Or is this just a very tough question lol?
I recommend starting with your most basic values, & reason out which path best advances them.

Different cultures vary on the ethics of snitching.
Caution: The Boondocks has offensive language.
[youtube]73q9SBgcOYE[/youtube]
The Boondocks - Snitching: A Retrospective - YouTube

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

That should largely depend on what drugs they're taking. It's absolutely ridiculous to place cannabis on the same level as crack cocaine, for example.

For example caffeine, alcohol and nicotine are also drugs, yet unlike other drugs they're celebrated and marketed in our culture. And alcohol is far, far, far more unhealthy, addicting and dangerous than cannabis, so our cultural attitudes towards the subject are blatantly inconsistent and irrational.

Cleffa

I flipped to the answer page and here's one of the suggested answer:
- Caring is the ethical principle that supports my decision in reporting this to the school representatives. Caring means that people are responsible to take care of others including their physical, mental, and spiritual needs. And because recreational drug use will harm the physical and mental sides of a person, reporting to the school representatives will help the person from physical and mental harm due to recreational drug use. Therefore, no matter if the person is a friend or not, I should care about the person like anyone else.

so I guess I totally went to the wrong direction?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I flipped to the answer page and here's one of the suggested answer:
- Caring is the ethical principle that supports my decision in reporting this to the school representatives. Caring means that people are responsible to take care of others including their physical, mental, and spiritual needs. And because recreational drug use will harm the physical and mental sides of a person, reporting to the school representatives will help the person from physical and mental harm due to recreational drug use. Therefore, no matter if the person is a friend or not, I should care about the person like anyone else.

so I guess I totally went to the wrong direction?

Did you say you're in high school? (Forgive me, I don't know what a "high school past exam" is.)

You have fantastic critical thinking skills, Cleffa. I have more to add, but I need coffee first. :D

Cleffa

Did you say you're in high school? (Forgive me, I don't know what a "high school past exam" is.)

You have fantastic critical thinking skills, Cleffa. I have more to add, but I need coffee first. :D

Oh past exam just means exams from past years. The one that I'm doing now is the 2010 exam on ethics and religious studies. Students usually do past exams as mock exams to prepare for the actually exam.

About myself, actually it's a little more complicated. I already graduated high school and am applying for a police constable position. The police department requires all candidates to pass a written test in which it includes questions about social, political, ethical, and religious topics. And so I went to the library and borrowed some past high school exams just to do some practice on writing and answering questions on these topics. No idea if the questions on the tests will actually be similar to those of high school exams though lol.

no-body

I think someone taking drugs in high school is completely different than an adult taking "illegal" drugs as they would be a minor. Depends on the drug too, but since this is for school I would completely gloss over that part.

Society doesn't want critical thinking skills when it comes to drug use most of them cite illogical circular reasoning "don't do drugs. Why? Because they are illegal. Why are they illegal? because they are bad. Why are they bad? Because they are illegal"

Most of this said while puffing away on a cancer stick, chugging down sugar, caffeine and/or alcohol and stuffing fatty trans fat foods down their gullets with no hint of irony.

Last edited:

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Oh past exam just means exams from past years. The one that I'm doing now is the 2010 exam on ethics and religious studies. Students usually do past exams as mock exams to prepare for the actually exam.

About myself, actually it's a little more complicated. I already graduated high school and am applying for a police constable position. The police department requires all candidates to pass a written test in which it includes questions about social, political, ethical, and religious topics. And so I went to the library and borrowed some past high school exams just to do some practice on writing and answering questions on these topics. No idea if the questions on the tests will actually be similar to those of high school exams though lol.
Ah.

Well, to answer your OP, the message, "Drugs are bad" that's been hammered into our heads is a current iteration of an interesting history involving a waxing and waning of approval of various substances (for example, opium, cocaine, tobacco, the prohibition) with different cultural stories and tipping points for each substance. Some societies used certain drugs to facilitate meditation and religious experiences, and they used drugs only during these rituals. In today's money-driven culture, anything which decreases productivity in our culture is disapproved of (with the exception of alcohol, strangely, though that has a story, too).

To legislate drugs on par with their risk factors would require legislative changes which won't happen unless cultural attitudes change. I suspect cartels are very, very supportive of keeping drugs illegal and funnel a lot of money into anti-drug educational campaigns, which helps maintain the mythological status drugs have earned. After all, if a black market substance become legalized, the black market movers lose their economical power.

So the ethicality of taking drugs involves weighing the risks of legal consequences, being informed and educated about the substance itself and where it was obtained, and weighing the risks and benefits of the drug.

Last edited: