• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethical Question for Monogamists

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
While this is probably unrealistic, but if someone was high-jacking a plane and said they would stop if you would have sex with them, would you do it?

What made me think of this random, seemingly troll-ish, however not, scenario? Well, the movie Non-Stop trailer played and when Liam Neeson texted "What do you want?" my friend was with me and said "I want to bang you" and then my mind started processing that... yeah.

So would this be ethical? To break your sexual morality in order to save lives?

Jesus said: “Whoever wants to save his soul [or, life] will lose it; but whoever loses his soul for my sake will find it.” Matthew 16:25

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I'm loyal to the max, but in this case I don't view it as cheating. It's trying to preserve your life and that of others. You are coerced into sex in exchange of lives. I can't imagine getting any pleasure from this. If anything it would feel more like rape.

I'm sure my husband would think the same.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I am a Freudian and I would not say otherwise. I might say that the ideology someone adopts in hijacking a plane is a neurotic substitution for unfulfilled sexual desires, but not that it is a direct plot to obtain sexual gratification. Freudianism is far to clever for such a gross assertion (the former).

It was a joke, didn't mean to come off as offensive if I did :)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I can't imagine how slavishly sticking to some personal ideal regarding monogamy would ever trump saving my own life. I'm certain my wife would agree.

This is the second time you reminded me that the self is involved in this :D Appreciate it, not sure why I keep forgetting in these hypothetical situations.

HexBomb

I think I would want to, but for me personally, having been molested when I was young, I don't think I physically could, at least not willingly. Body would overthrow brain and go into survival mode too much.

Straw Dog

He would probably come onto the terrorist, seduce them, but only as a decoy. Once there were sufficiently distracted, he would take action.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
While this is probably unrealistic, but if someone was high-jacking a plane and said they would stop if you would have sex with them, would you do it?

What made me think of this random, seemingly troll-ish, however not, scenario? Well, the movie Non-Stop trailer played and when Liam Neeson texted "What do you want?" my friend was with me and said "I want to bang you" and then my mind started processing that... yeah.

So would this be ethical? To break your sexual morality in order to save lives?
I would prefer to go the route of getting them in a submission lock if they're that close to me physically. Seems easier.

I see no reason to trust a plane hijacker. If the plane lands intact with him or her on it, they're getting arrested and going to prison for a very long time. If they're at that point and have made those decisions, there's no reason for them not to just do what they want to do with the plane at that point.

If there were some actual extraordinarily-unlikely scenario where me having sex with someone against my will would have a strong probability to saving lives, I'd try to do it. I view that as rape, certainly. It's sex that isn't consensual because I wouldn't want to do it and would be repulsed to do it.

Gehennaite

This scenario is completely absurd, but I understand the point of your argument.

I'm celibate... but I'm not committed to this premise if the person making advancements unto me is appealing. If the person is not appealing, then I'm not going to involve myself. I refuse to submit myself to sex if it feels derogatory, regardless of whether or not it could be considered heroic.

Yet, neither death nor violence (at least non-tortuous violence) are really that demeaning to me. I wouldn't rise to the challenge of heroism in the case of a simple hi-jacking. The only violences I would challenge are ones physically tortuous or sexual in nature...