• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even Paying With Cash Can Now Cost Extra

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They get their fees one way or another. The fee... $3.50 to $6.00. According to the WSJ(didn't link it because its behind a paywall so I used an alternative link.

That's why I always carry cash and plastic.

Even Paying With Cash Can Now Cost Extra

More consumers who want to pay in cash are being forced to use a "reverse ATM" — and they are being charged for the service.

The next time you try to pay for something with cash, don’t be surprised if it costs you a little extra.

In some places, folks who want to pay with physical dollars and cents now must fork over a small fee for the privilege.

The Wall Street Journal reports that businesses that no longer accept cash may direct you to a “reverse ATM.” These cash-shy companies require you to feed dollar bills into the reverse ATM, which then issues a plastic debit card that can be used at that or other retailers.

Typically, you can expect to pay a fee for the service. The Journal reported the story of Noa Khamallah, who was directed to a reverse ATM when he tried to pay cash for popcorn and a soda at Yankee Stadium in New York City."

Cashless transactions has many benefits to the business that paying with cash does not (risk of theft, requirement of painstaking counting at the shop, requiring to transport cash, having change etc etc). As cashless becomes the norm, you would expect businesses to factor in the additional cost for the infrastructure required to keep dealing with cash. This is just one more evolution. 700 years ago, everyone could use barter. Nobody does it today do they?
In India, direct phone based payments are becoming the norm. Phone is becoming the only thing you need to carry with you to do anything and everything.
Smartphone becomes a bank for Indians as transactions via mobile surge 55% in H1 - ET BFSI

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Cashless transactions has many benefits to the business that paying with cash does not (risk of theft, requirement of painstaking counting at the shop, requiring to transport cash, having change etc etc). As cashless becomes the norm, you would expect businesses to factor in the additional cost for the infrastructure required to keep dealing with cash. This is just one more evolution. 700 years ago, everyone could use barter. Nobody does it today do they?
In India, direct phone based payments are becoming the norm. Phone is becoming the only thing you need to carry with you to do anything and everything.
Smartphone becomes a bank for Indians as transactions via mobile surge 55% in H1 - ET BFSI
I barter all the time with the Amish in my area.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
(I live a stones throw from the state line)
I'm sorry. I used to live between Kokomo and Peru, and also between Indy and Fort Wayne.
I miss my friends, thunderstorms, things in cities being more open and not so densely packed in, cheese sauce with my breadsticks, a few small bands who actually do tour through there (Here Come the Mummies being the main one) and nothing else. Well, and no one being surprised at my music choices of primarily 70s-90s rock. It gets old here how many people think its some sort of fluke.
But I definitely don't miss the winters, especially when I'd have to go to your neck of the woods. You would get such a hoot watching people here during winter complaining about how cold it is as they leisurely stroll along in 50 degree weather (no joke, you start to see jackets in the 70s here).

Heyo

Veteran Member
My brother-in-law is convinced it is a conspiracy by the government to get everything cashless to make it easier to track people.
Nope. It's not a conspiracy by the government, the government just lets it happen. It's a conspiracy by the banking industrial complex. They have come up with the idea of cashless payments, and they rake in the fees. It's also them who own the transaction data which they can sell to the government or anyone else who's interested.

Shadow Wolf

The very fact that cryptocurrency even became a thing makes me wonder.
From what I'm learning crypto currency seems to be a natural product from an environment that hasn't yet realized rich, frat boy anarchists aiming for maximum freedom isn't really a very good or responsible model to follow. They wanted a world where you can scream fire in a crowded theater and there be no consequences. They're getting it.
It may be due to the energy demands of "mining" cryotocurrency (I'm still trying to figure out how that tangibly actually works out to anything redeemable for real cash), but I'm surprised it wasn't around sooner to help strengthen the drug induced shades of pipedream utopian libertarianism as services like Facebook and YouTube emerged.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Nope. It's not a conspiracy by the government, the government just lets it happen. It's a conspiracy by the banking industrial complex. They have come up with the idea of cashless payments, and they rake in the fees. It's also them who own the transaction data which they can sell to the government or anyone else who's interested.
*my best Jack Sparrow impersonation*

Ah, but it is a conspiracy​

Shadow Wolf

There's a lot of people in America who believe it's a government conspiracy though. And this idea itself frequently is handcuffed and welded to One World Government, Mark of the Beast and end time conspiracies.
Which itself seems to have inherited the torch for such conspiracies from Social Securities, a torch that got passed to Verichip.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
How do you pay online with cash?
paypal?

All these online finance companies try to force you to use a credit card.
..particularly if you want to haggle over the price of an item on ebay, for example .. the transaction fails without a credit card number .. even if you have a balance of 100's of $'s.

..and then there is a website I order food items .. a regular delivery gets you 20% discount
credit cards only! :expressionless:

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

paypal?

All these online finance companies try to force you to use a credit card.
..particularly if you want to haggle over the price of an item on ebay, for example .. the transaction fails without a credit card number .. even if you have a balance of 100's of $'s.

..and then there is a website I order food items .. a regular delivery gets you 20% discount
credit cards only! :expressionless:
Yeah, it's a scam to funnel money upwards and give more money to banks just for having money. It's like a rake in poker (a pinch of each pot the house claims) but with far fewer people pointing out how it nickle and dimes money away from society at large and into than hands of a few.

Laniakea

Not of this world
It's kind of ironic being that there is a gas station where i live aside from the reservation, where you can buy gas cheaper if you use cash instead of a credit card.

Still in spite of that boon, I am quite convinced we are going to eventually be headed for a completely cashless society where at some point all transactions are traced, and can be followed electronically.
We had that until very recently. The gas stations were called Holiday, and they all just recently closed in my area. They gave a 5 cent discount for using cash, although they started requiring those who paid that way to go inside and pay before pumping the gas. I thought it was a bit ironic that they would encourage people to use cash, but at the same time make it less convenient to do so.

Shadow Wolf

We had that until very recently. The gas stations were called Holiday, and they all just recently closed in my area. They gave a 5 cent discount for using cash, although they started requiring those who paid that way to go inside and pay before pumping the gas. I thought it was a bit ironic that they would encourage people to use cash, but at the same time make it less convenient to do so.
Pre-pay is so people can't steal the gas. And having worked at a gas station it's a great idea because you can't always be watching the pump.

Laniakea

Not of this world
Pre-pay is so people can't steal the gas. And having worked at a gas station it's a great idea because you can't always be watching the pump.
Oh yeah, I get that. Gas theft had become a common thing. But why give people a discount? It might save the company in credit card fees, but if they'd rather people not pay cash, why give incentives to do so?