• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Every Word, Every Letter in the Quran is up for Criticism

tariqkhwaja

Jihad Against Terrorism
Assalamualaikum.

For unlike the Bible the Quran is not recordings of Jesus. The status of the Gospels is exactly that of the Hadith. Both are recordings of their holy founder as written down from memory by the followers of their religions. The Gospels are traditions and actions of Jesus Christ (peace be upon him). The Hadith are traditions and actions of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). Both created decades after the founder's advent. Both subject to criticism of authenticity if from nothing else, mere human error.

But every letter in the Quran starting from the B of Bismillah to the S of Naas, EVERY LETTER is the word of God. And, therefore, for any non-believer, every single word is up for criticism. Because if the Quran is the Word of God and if it is protected in its exact revealed form and if God has said that the Quran is the last revealed scripture of God then it must withstand and counter and successfully counter all and any criticism waged at it. But not only that.

Any criticism thrown at the Quran might be countered by the Quran itself. And there is no need to browse through another book. That is the completeness of the Quran. But not only that.

The further one criticizes the Quran the further one stands to be astounded by its perfection. Just as students question what their science teachers teach them. And the more they question the more astounded they are at the resolution of their queries. In the same way, just like the Act of God (science), the Word of God (Quran) should be able to stand the same tests if it is truly the Word of God from first letter to last letter.

It is with this background that I ask everyone to kindly study the Quran and put forth whatever criticism they have of it. Honesty is the requirement.

Thank you Tashan for asking the administrators to create this Quranic Debate forum. I did not notice it until you pointed it out. And that to the administrators too.

yousaf

the way to find out uif the quraan is the word of god is to check if there are any contradictions whether in the quraan itself or with modern science

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
This is what confused me in another thread, I don't understand how every word of the Qur'an can be sacred and worthy if some parts render others redundant?

kai

ragamuffin
if there are no contradictions how does that prove its the word of God, when all it proves is there are no contradictions?

i would like to know if as a muslim you beleive it is the word of God because it says so?

or because someone told you it says so?

or some other reason ?

Last edited:

tariqkhwaja

Jihad Against Terrorism
This is what confused me in another thread, I don't understand how every word of the Qur'an can be sacred and worthy if some parts render others redundant?
No part of the Quran renders others redundant. But it is a very good point raised by you that Muslims have this misconception about "Nasikh" and "Manshookh" and believe that some verses of the Quran are redundant. It is extremely sad that Muslims say this about the Quran and, you are right, the Quran can not be worthy if this is true.

if there are no contradictions how does that prove its the word of God, when all it proves is there are no contradictions?
Not having contradictions is part of it. Though, obviously not enough. Test it on the scales of rationality from any and all vantage points. And then when you find no errors. Then you can call it the Word of God. But the Quran stands many more tests than the test of rationality.

Among many reasons one reason for my belief in the Quran as the Word of God is the countless number of prophecies stored within about our time as much as any other.

there is no disarming button on it and now that its used as a weapon its unstopable, or atleast realy hard to stop

kai

ragamuffin
There are no contradictions in the Wizard of Oz.

this is a more heavy version of my point , and my question why do you beleive it is the word of God?

why? there must be a reason for you (and i am happy for any muslim to respond) personally to beleive it is the word of God other than your parents told you so, or an Imam told you so.

tariqkhwaja

Jihad Against Terrorism
there must be a reason for you (and i am happy for any muslim to respond) personally to beleive it is the word of God other than your parents told you so, or an Imam told you so.
I gave one reason.
Among many reasons one reason for my belief in the Quran as the Word of God is the countless number of prophecies stored within about our time as much as any other.
And yousaf mentioned the consistencies between Quran and Science some of which scientists have only found today. I would like to mention the fact that the Quran is the ONLY religious book in the world that states the first life on Earth was a female species and not a male. http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/evolution-vs-creationism/66231-evolution-according-islam.html.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers

tariqkhwaja

Jihad Against Terrorism
I'll do Science and Prophecy. The invention of the nuclear bomb and a clear prophecy of its inventors and of the impending nuclear holocaust towards which humans are fast moving. New thread on this Quran Debates forum. That is why I had asked for a Quranic debates forum in the first place. For similar debates.

tariqkhwaja

Jihad Against Terrorism
But... the first life on Earth was neither male or female. :confused:
It was a bit of both actually. It was female yet it was neither. But it definetely was not male. I call it female because scientists use "Mother" and "Daughter" cell for that first life that reproduced "asexually". However, the conjugation used in the Quran "Ha" connotes both "she" and "it".
Go to Evolution according to Islam and we can discuss it there.

gnostic

The Lost One
If Jesus wrote the entire bible, every single books in the OT and letters in the NT, then the bible as sacred scripture would be even less believable and unrealistic.

I don't believe in a large part of the bible right now, but what you are suggesting, tariqkhwaja, that a book needs to be written by one person, in order it to be sacred and true, is untenable.

A supposed 3 millenniums of history from a collection of texts were recorded, but some unwritten oral tradition used to supplement the written ones, don't require a single author.

As to the Qur'an, there are large part, concerning the biblical events that are even more unrealistic than what it is recorded. Such as the Qur'anic Solomon commanding army of jinns or talking animals, or controlling or exorcising demons, seemed due to invention and exaggeration of the author. It makes the Book of King 1 more grounded in reality than that of Islamic version about Solomon; because reading the Qur'an of what it says about biblical characters, seemed more in the realms of folklore and fairytales.

Another example is the Satan's Fall, in which the Qur'an have an animal naming contest between Adam and Satan. Satan couldn't give name to the specific animal species, but Adam could, so Adam bested Satan.

Now in the Genesis, Adam does name all the animals (cattle, wild beasts and birds), it make no mention of contest between Adam and Satan, and it doesn't mention Satan's Fall. However, the Jews have a folkloric version (which Muhammad apparently knew and used), which was later transmitted into writing known as the Haggada(h), and was probably written between 200 BCE and 170 BCE. The mainstream Jews never accepted this version about Adam's creation and Satan's fall because the Haggada was written in exaggerated way, influenced by Egyptian, Greek and Persian myths.

For Muhammad to include late version of Jewish inventive stories into the Qur'an showed that Muhammad was far more interested in Middle Eastern fairytales or folklores than anything else.

It is the content and context of individual book that gives it "sacred" value, not who wrote a book and how many people contributed to different texts doesn't make the book sacred.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
I would like to mention the fact that the Quran is the ONLY religious book in the world that states the first life on Earth was a female species and not a male.
Allah says in the Quran that He created life. How could He have created life? Would that not be tantamount to Him creating Himself?

tariqkhwaja

Jihad Against Terrorism
As to the Qur'an, there are large part, concerning the biblical events that are even more unrealistic than what it is recorded. Such as the Qur'anic Solomon commanding army of jinns or talking animals, or controlling or exorcising demons, seemed due to invention and exaggeration of the author. It makes the Book of King 1 more grounded in reality than that of Islamic version about Solomon; because reading the Qur'an of what it says about biblical characters, seemed more in the realms of folklore and fairytales.

Another example is the Satan's Fall, in which the Qur'an have an animal naming contest between Adam and Satan. Satan couldn't give name to the specific animal species, but Adam could, so Adam bested Satan.
Okay Gnostic. I am glad you brought up the "naming competition". I'll open two threads on both the questions you raised. Solomon's animals talking and "naming competition".

Allah says in the Quran that He created life. How could He have created life? Would that not be tantamount to Him creating Himself?
Sorry but I did not understand the question at all.

gnostic

The Lost One
tariqkhwaja said:
Okay Gnostic. I am glad you brought up the "naming competition". I'll open two threads on both the questions you raised. Solomon's animals talking and "naming competition".
When you do, let us know by placing the links at this topic.

Troublemane

I would like to mention the fact that the Quran is the ONLY religious book in the world that states the first life on Earth was a female species and not a male.

So why do Islamic countries treat women as if they were cattle?
BBC News | MIDDLE EAST | Saudi police 'stopped' fire rescue
Iran Focus
Saudi Rape Victim Gets 200 Lashes, Court Says 19-Year-Old Woman Improperly Used Media To Influence Case - CBS News

This one is seriously disturbing as it defends Islamic practice of women wearing modest clothing as a means to prevent rape---promoting a view is that women are at fault for being raped.
Islamic Punishment for Rape - IslamonLine.net - Ask The Scholar

Last edited: