• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Everyone knows what it's like to be dead.

logos said:
how did we go from the cessation of existence to existence itself?
Some may say that perhaps we have always existed. I would argue that we have never existed--the concept of an eternal "self" seperate from "everything else" is an illusion created by our psyches.

logos

Mr_Spinkles said:
Some may say that perhaps we have always existed. I would argue that we have never existed--the concept of an eternal "self" seperate from "everything else" is an illusion created by our psyches.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but we have never existed? Does that mean that we do not even exist now?

I would say an eternal "self" seperate from the rest of reality does not exist, except as an illusion created by our psyches. The illusion "exists" alright....but it is temporary and contingent upon a conscious brain.

I suppose I'm not questioning our 'existence' so much as the nature of our existence (e.g. Unicorns do 'exist', but the nature of their existence is confined to figments of human imagination).

logos

Mr_Spinkles said:
I would say an eternal "self" seperate from the rest of reality does not exist, except as an illusion created by our psyches. The illusion "exists" alright....but it is temporary and contingent upon a conscious brain.

I suppose I'm not questioning our 'existence' so much as the nature of our existence (e.g. Unicorns do 'exist', but the nature of their existence is confined to figments of human imagination).
Ok, that makes sense. So, would it be fair to say, based on your theory, that there is no eternal soul? Or even a soul at all?

logos

Mr_Spinkles said:
Yes, that would be fair.
If we don't have an eternal soul or a soul at all, then how do we exist and how do we, at least in some way, have a spiritual sense about us?

Ronald

logos said:
If we don't have an eternal soul or a soul at all, then how do we exist and how do we, at least in some way, have a spiritual sense about us?
I am aware you need an outside source other than the Bible only, so here goes.

The immortal soul complex only happened when the Bible was Transliterated into Greek.

To quote the Bible and Paul, Those who are in the resurrection at the last trump, will trade their mortal bodies for immortal ones.

So fellas read Genesis (not New Testament) and find out the Hebrew word is and its meaning.

Read all the meanings of Nephesh and dump your preconcieved Christian teachings, then hear this. Y H V H molded Adam from adamah and gave it atrifical respiration and the man became a soul/nephesh. dust + breath of God = living air breathing man.

Shalom :)

linwood

I think y`all are missing his point.

Do you have knowledge of dec13th 1457?

No..you don`t and you won`t have any knowledge of anything once you die either.

Thats what death is like.

I think.
:)

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
do you have any knowledge of the day after your birthday?well that's what it's like to be alive.

we can't be dead before we live.

Ceridwen018

we can't be dead before we live.
I dunno, HelpMe. Define life.

Existing, performing basic life functions, having basic life capabilities, breathing, walking, thinking, interacting...I'd say it's a pretty safe bet to assume that we fir the criteria of 'dead' before we're 'alive'.

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
you'd say it's a safe bet, a tiny handful of other people across the world wouldn't for what they call good reasons(scientifically testable or not[which btw, this theory is not either]).again, what was the day after you were born like?is that what it's like to be alive?

existing