• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evolution: the basics

Little Dragon

Okay, but that is not the same thing at all. They are merely identifying populations that split off from the original YC Adam and M Eve. Odds are that neither Y Chromosome Adam or Mitochondrial Eve had that many children. And neither one would have known the other.
Why would they have known each other?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why would they have known each other?
I said that they would not have. Many Christians think that they lived at the same time and were a couple. That is highly doubtful. They almost surely lived at different times and even if by some weird odds there would still have been many thousands of humans living and there was no guarantee that they were together.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
"But geneticists, by tracing the DNA patterns found in people throughout the world, have now identified lineages descended from 10 sons of a genetic Adam and 18 daughters of Eve.

The human genome is turning out to be a rich new archive for historians and prehistorians, one whose range extends from recent times to the dawn of human existence."

Let's look more closely at Y chromosome Adam and Mitochondrial Eve. Basically Geneticists have shown that all humans alive have descended from one common man who lived about 270,000 years ago that they have dubbed Y chromosome Adam. And all humans alive have descended from one common woman who lived some 200,000 years ago, which they have dubbed Mitochondrial Eve.

The first thing to note is that these two individuals where alive 70,000 years apart. IOW they were not a couple.

The second thing of note, is that saying that Y chromosome Adam is our common ancestor is not the same as saying he was the first human. It could be his father was the first human. Or his great great great grandfather. You get the idea.

Little Dragon

Let's look more closely at Y chromosome Adam and Mitochondrial Eve. Basically Geneticists have shown that all humans alive have descended from one common man who lived about 270,000 years ago that they have dubbed Y chromosome Adam. And all humans alive have descended from one common woman who lived some 200,000 years ago, which they have dubbed Mitochondrial Eve.

The first thing to note is that these two individuals where alive 70,000 years apart. IOW they were not a couple.

The second thing of note, is that saying that Y chromosome Adam is our common ancestor is not the same as saying he was the first human. It could be his father was the first human. Or his great great great grandfather. You get the idea.
What a waste of time typing that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Even the idea of there being a "first human" is just wrong. There is no one clear trait that makes a person a human being. When modern humans began is more of a judgment call than anything else. As the saying goes, populations evolve, not individuals and one paleontologist may cite one important trait and another will have a different one.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Even the idea of there being a "first human" is just wrong. There is no one clear trait that makes a person a human being. When modern humans began is more of a judgment call than anything else. As the saying goes, populations evolve, not individuals and one paleontologist may cite one important trait and another will have a different one.
Absolutely!!!!! You have to grant me a bit of slack for the way I wrote my post. I basically dumbed things down so that my two points would not become too complicated.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Homo sapiens has blended with other species, we have neanderthal DNA us Eurasians. So we have at least 2 sets of genetic Eve, and I doubt either had ever met.
I'll have to see if I can find it, but there is a molecular biologists that is pretty certain he has genetic evidence for another Homo species in our lineage that is previously unknown.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Homo sapiens has blended with other species, we have neanderthal DNA us Eurasians. So we have at least 2 sets of genetic Eve, and I doubt either had ever met.
Mitochondrial Eve only checks one's line of descent through a purely matrilineal line. Though we do have Neanderthal DNA in us it appears that there are no direct lines left that trace only through a purely matrilineal line to those women.

Both Y Chromosome Adam and Mitochondrial Eve only check our heritage through either a purely matrilineal line of descent or a purely male line of descent. So somewhere along the lines there were males with Neanderthal DNA that we descended from. And female. If you think about it for the number of ancestors that you have keeps doubling for quite a few generations before they start to repeat.

Little Dragon

I'll have to see if I can find it, but there is a molecular biologists that is pretty certain he has genetic evidence for another Homo species in our lineage that is previously unknown.
Interesting. I would be surprised if there wasn't a whisper of Homo erectus DNA in modern humans, Given that erectus was around and had been around for a very long time, a very successful species. Erectus. Funny name too.