• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exploring Atheism

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Fortunately enough , I am a medical student , I have studied Physiology , Anatomy , Histology and biochemistry....And i know that what I saw there was not only a design....but a miracuolous one....IF you are not able to explain that Design through Atheism...You can just Say : I Don't Know instead of denying it

And that is irrelevant. As I said, people need to see patterns to understand things. The design you speak of is created by our minds. It is possible to explain that "design" through means other than an intelligent designer. Instead of everything being designed by some intelligent force, it is simply brought about through random unintelligent forces. This explanation allows for everything that exists, just as easily as your intelligent design theory does.

Also, as Mestemia said, does intelligent design explain all the "flaws" in the human body and elsewhere, too?

Haven't you heard of the fall of Darwinism and the rise of the Intelligent design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?
The fall of Darwinism? I've heard of many groups trying to discount it, usually by illogical and irrational means. Also, do you mean Darwinism, or do you mean Evolution? There is no "fall" of either. There is also no rise of ID. Those same people are trying to force it on people, but it's not working. It's just a not-so-novel attempt to replace science with religion.

Last edited:

crystalonyx

Darwin was probably the greatest scientist to ever live, evolution is fact, as much as a hard science as physics or chemistry. This is the problem that many theists have, that the facts don't jive with their beliefs.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Fortunately enough , I am a medical student , I have studied Physiology , Anatomy , Histology and biochemistry....And i know that what I saw there was not only a design....but a miracuolous one....IF you are not able to explain that Design through Atheism...You can just Say : I Don't Know instead of denying it
I have the same sense of wonder when I look at the shape of a river, its eddies and its undulations as I do when I look at the human body.

We don't usually hear people attribute the shape of a waterfall and its downstream stilling basing to the direct hand of God, because we can see with our own eyes how its shape is the natural creation of erosion by the flow of water.

I see the same sort of thing in evolution: the processes involved take much longer and they're much more subtle, but they're still there and apparent for anyone who cares to look.

I don't see any more reason to assume that God purposely designed some feature of anatomy than I do to assume that Niagara Gorge was dug by a team of angels with shovels.

Haven't you heard of the fall of Darwinism and the rise of the Intelligent design - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?
Rumours of evolution's death have been greatly exaggerated. ;)

Is it possible that this universal Energy is somehow designed to ensure the existance and welfare of Humans according to the Anthropic principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?

There are two anthropic principles:

- the weak anthropic principle basically says that any hypothesis for our past must take into account that we exist. For example, If someone were to come up with a theory for the formation of our galaxy that implied Earth would have been flooded with fatal radiation a billion years ago, we can use the weak anthropic principle to conclude that the hypothesis is incorrect. It's trivially true, but can be a useful reminder.

- the strong anthropic principle says that our universe was designed or fine-tuned with us in mind. It's unsupported, unmeasurable conjecture, and is not a scientific conclusion; it's not even a scientific hypothesis.

Yerda

Veteran Member
As a medical student you should know better. Science, especially the ones you've listed, provides all the details we need to say that design is superfluous.

maro said:
Who is teaching medicine to you?

Evolution does not say anything about God. So I wonder why there are so many people who see evolution as a threat to their belief in God?!?

maro

muslimah
Trey of Diamonds said:
Religion is merely mankind sensing these energies and trying to conceptualize them.

I would like only yo make one correction here... For me , God is not part of the universe...So ,my religion is certainly not conceptualizing the positive energy of the universe as God....God ,for me , is a higher wise being "outside" the universe...The universe is just his creation...his master piece by which he wanted to be known...I believe my mind is not qualified to realize what God is...I can only know him through the universe...And through my heart...

Communication I'm not sure of. If the energy is self aware and has what we would call intelligence, would the ramblings of human beings make sense to it?

Who knows ? ..i ,myself , don't think praying is something bad to experience even for an atheist or an agonistic....It might be a fruitful experience ,though...

What you are calling life is limiting. You are saying that a bear is life and a mountain is not but is that true. It meets our definitions of life but could the universe use different definitions?

Why not just stick to our definitions , untill we can figure out another deeper definitions ?

maro

muslimah
mball1297 said:
The design you speak of is created by our minds.

but what about the design of our minds ? if our minds can create designs and patterns out of the chaos ,then sure they have their own design ,at the first place ,What do you think ?

I have the same sense of wonder when I look at the shape of a river, its eddies and its undulations as I do when I look at the human body.

We don't usually hear people attribute the shape of a waterfall and its downstream stilling basing to the direct hand of God, because we can see with our own eyes how its shape is the natural creation of erosion by the flow of water.

If you lived in a muslim community ,you will hear people attributing every Beauty and design to God ;) ,certain mechanisms may occur ,we agree on that...but what we disagree upon is wether or not those mechanisms are random ,or meant to be

I see the same sort of thing in evolution: the processes involved take much longer and they're much more subtle, but they're still there and apparent for anyone who cares to look.

I don't see any more reason to assume that God purposely designed some feature of anatomy than I do to assume that Niagara Gorge was dug by a team of angels with shovels.

Rumours of evolution's death have been greatly exaggerated. ;)

I will come later to discuss with you the alleged flaws in darwinism , i appreciate your scientific sense...
the strong anthropic principle says that our universe was designed or fine-tuned with us in mind. It's unsupported, unmeasurable conjecture, and is not a scientific conclusion; it's not even a scientific hypothesis.

I understand it's unmeasurable...It's just a conclusion made by observation...

camanintx

If a snowflake can form due to the simple action of physical laws, why do you assume that a designer is required for life to evolve over millions of years?

the strong anthropic principle says that our universe was designed or fine-tuned with us in mind. It's unsupported, unmeasurable conjecture, and is not a scientific conclusion; it's not even a scientific hypothesis.
I understand it's unmeasurable...It's just a conclusion made by observation...

Douglas Adams would have something to say about this.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
but what about the design of our minds ? if our minds can create designs and patterns out of the chaos ,then sure they have their own design ,at the first place ,What do you think ?

I don't see the connection. Just because our minds can create design doesn't mean that our minds themselves were designed.

If you lived in a muslim community ,you will hear people attributing every Beauty and design to God ;) ,certain mechanisms may occur ,we agree on that...but what we disagree upon is wether or not those mechanisms are random ,or meant to be

That is one reason I'm glad I don't live in a Muslim country. Obviously, the whole debate is whether or not things are designed. That's what it's been since the beginning. You just seem to be under the impression that things couldn't possibly have come to be the way they are without being designed. That is not true. Things could easily exist as they do without being designed. They could also have been designed that way. I just don't think they were designed. It doesn't make as much sense as me.

The last two quotes in your post were not from me. I don't really mind so much, but you should make sure you give credit where it's due next time.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Astonishingly complex and 'orderly' manifestations can come from repeated series of small, understandable steps. A simple equation can yield infinite complexity.

The need to attribute anything complex and orderly to some anthropomorphic designer is an artifact of our own psychology.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
On the subject of evolution and the origin of life, i recommend you give talkorigins a readthrough.

As for the original question, i believe very little. There are a lot of good theories out there, my favorites include big bang/abiogenesis/evolution, but as none of it has any affect (effect? I can never remember which is which) on my day to day life it's fairly irrelevant to me.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
You saw design there because there is design, but as a medical student you should have been taught that it is not an intelligent design but one that has been encoded within our genetic blueprint via eons of selective pressure.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
maro:
Is your question, how does an atheist account for the complexity of the universe, including life?

logician

maro:
Is your question, how does an atheist account for the complexity of the universe, including life?

It's like looking at a complete software system, for say, running a hospital, if taken as a whole, it seems almost incomprehensibly complex, but look at in smaller and smaller chunks, you see the pieces that come together to make the whole.

Trey of Diamonds

I would like only yo make one correction here... For me , God is not part of the universe...So ,my religion is certainly not conceptualizing the positive energy of the universe as God....God ,for me , is a higher wise being "outside" the universe...The universe is just his creation...his master piece by which he wanted to be known...I believe my mind is not qualified to realize what God is...I can only know him through the universe...And through my heart...

Interesting. For me the positive and negative energy is the universe however should these energies have intelligence would that intelligence be considered a separate entity? A bigger question is are the two energies separate or two parts of one whole? In other words are God and Satan the same person?

Who knows ? ..i ,myself , don't think praying is something bad to experience even for an atheist or an agonistic....It might be a fruitful experience ,though...

Nothing wrong with praying. I think mankind has connections to the energies within the universe and if rituals such as praying enable an individual to have access to those energies then it is a good thing.

Why not just stick to our definitions , untill we can figure out another deeper definitions ?

Here I have to disagree. The definitions of life vary just among human beings and to try and chose one of them to assign as the definintion of life for a supreme being will lead to false conclusions. It is better to understand that God, a supreme being, an intellegent designer, positive energy or whatever, will have a definition of life that is beyond what we define life as. You don't have to understand what that definition is, just that it is beyond the definition we have.