• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Face of God or Coincidental Cloud Formation?

David M

A woman took this picture on her farm in Scobey, Montana. I've seen this blown up hanging on a wall before and the detail in the face is amazing. Tell me what you think:
img_9398_4.jpg

If it doesn't show up in this post you can also see it here:
Featured Photo

What are your thoughts on religious faces and phenomena showing up in everday life?

I don't see a face in that picture at all.

My thoughts? Pareidolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DogButtJesus.gif

In short out brains are adept at creating faces and other such things where key features are present. We have no record of what many important historical religious figures look like so its interesting that when a person sees a face or a whole body then its claimed to be Jesus (See above) or another such famous historical figure.

Last edited:

Im an Atheist

Biologist
A woman took this picture on her farm in Scobey, Montana. I've seen this blown up hanging on a wall before and the detail in the face is amazing. Tell me what you think:
img_9398_4.jpg

Featured Photo

What are your thoughts on religious faces and phenomena showing up in everday life?

If no one know's what God looks like how can you deduce that is the face of God?
And that is just looks like a natural event. We have all seen clouds shaped like certain things.

I think people see faces and other such things because our mind is programmed to recognise them. Most of us have played the game of lying on our backs and making objects out of the clouds as they pass overhead and I imagine many of us have thought we've seen something but on closer inspection its turned out to have been something else completely.

Even if there was a genuine face this doesn't mean that a supernatural agent is involved.

Space Cadet

I really don't see why you would think there is anything particularly remarkable about this. It's not a good representation of a human face at all. Clouds constantly form random shapes above our heads and very occasionally they make arrangements that vaguely (in this case, very vaguely) resemble a human face, a pattern that our brains are hardwired to recognize.
In fact, given that thousands of photos of the sky are taken every day, I'm surprised that you can't find one that looks more human. Btw, before you start looking, it doesn't matter if you can find better ones. You can find these anywhere and everywhere if you look hard enough. All it means is that the universe is filled with an infinite diversity of random patterns and our brains are pattern-recognizing machines.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
img_9398_4.jpg

Featured Photo

It looks like the lion from
"The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe."

A news reporter was standing next to a marble column that purportedly had an image of Christ in it. The reporter asked a passerby what they thought the image looked like. After studying it briefly he said, "Willie Nelson."

img_9398_4.jpg

Featured Photo

The human brain is apt at finding meaningful shapes even when there is nothing there. The face is arguably one of the most important things that we need to be able to recognise as it plays a fundamental role in most of interaction with other people so its not suprising that our brains can fashion them out of clouds and suchlike.

Most of us have lay down looking up at the clouds making them into various things. Unless some powerful being amuses itself by making clouds appear to be any number of possible things its seems more likely that such things are an artefact of the human brain and how it processes information from the eyes.

Cosmonaut

Scruffy nerf-herder
I saw two clouds make a cross on Christmas Eve last year. I though to myself, "nice touch". That being said, clouds can look like anything. I once saw a cloud that was such an accurate map of Europe that I damn near started worshiping cartographers.