• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Face of Jesus

Genna

I have seen all too many portraits of Jesus, the usual long-haired bearded man. Where does this depiction of him come from if the bible never describes his facial features?
And if some believe Jesus to be GOD, wouldn't making a portrait of him going against the 1st commandment, making a God in your image?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Genna said:
I have seen all too many portraits of Jesus, the usual long-haired bearded man. Where does this depiction of him come from if the bible never describes his facial features?

Possibly from writings other then what we find in the Bible - and visions people have seen.

sparkyluv

Genna said:
And if some believe Jesus to be GOD, wouldn't making a portrait of him going against the 1st commandment, making a God in your image?

1st Commandment

You shall have no other Gods before me.

No that does not break the 1st Commandment.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Genna said:

That commandment of 'graven' could be interpreted different ways, but I never actually thought about it, I'd like to see what some other people and LDS people say on this one.

Bishka

Veteran Member
sparkyluv said:
1st Commandment

No that does not break the 1st Commandment.[/b]
What about the commandment #2

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Genna

beckysoup61 said:
What about the commandment #3

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Isn't that commandment # 2?

10_Comm.gif

nutshell

If people are worshipping the painting then that might be a problem. If it's just a reminder of who they worship and don't see an issue.

Bishka

Veteran Member
nutshell said:
If people are worshipping the painting then that might be a problem. If it's just a reminder of who they worship and don't see an issue.

I'm curious about the graven images one though -- how does that figure in?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Genna said:

The image likely came from a shroud (which may or may not be the same one as the Shroud of Turin) called the Mandylion of Edessa. This was taken when the crusaders sacked Constantinople, but is referred to by St. John Damscene exactly when talking on this issue.

In actual fact, unless you consider the making of an image of any human being wrong, which it is clear from the catacombs and contemporary synagogues neither early Christians nor the Jews of the time did, then creating an image of Christ cannot be considered to break any commandment. Christ was Incarnate as man. He was fully man and fully God. From our point of view, then, the claim that you sometimes hear that we cannot make images of Christ because He is God are tantamount to a denial of the Incarnation and, hence, are un-Christian.

In any case, those who rail against images per se are mistaken. The Israelites in the OT also used images of angels and other things. This is not forbidden at all. It is the creation of an image in order to worship it as an idol that is forbidden.

James

sparkyluv

beckysoup61 said:
What about the commandment #2

They're not worshipping the painting.

ProfLogic

Genna said:

Are you referring to the paintings when jesus became a caucasian and not an olive or dark skinned person? The crusades might have something to do with this image.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
Possibly from writings other then what we find in the Bible - and visions people have seen.

Does this mean your god was an infant also to begin with since jesus clearly was a child as described by the bible, now wouldn't the image of god during creation actually closer to a child than a bearded man?

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
How about the practice of praying to religious statues and feast in honor of these religious statues? Isn't that worshiping?

Catholics do not pray to religious statues - if you think that you are grossly misinformed.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Does this mean your god was an infant also to begin with since jesus clearly was a child as described by the bible, now wouldn't the image of god during creation actually closer to a child than a bearded man?

He could have been - why God be closer to a child at the beginning of creation. God is God and has always been God. It's an interesting question, but it doesn't make any difference in the long run.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Are you referring to the paintings when jesus became a caucasian and not an olive or dark skinned person? The crusades might have something to do with this image.

Possibly - but what does Jesus look like in the afterlife? Is He cacausian or olive-skinned?

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
sparkyluv said:
They're not worshipping the painting.
They may not worship the painting (or crucifix or cross or ... ), but does the image come to mind when the person is worshipping or praying? Where's the distinction? Where does the image (idol in my question) that's in the mind while worshiping end and the God one is worshipping begin?

Seems to me, if there is no image, there is no idol.

ProfLogic

beckysoup61 said:
My, my, my talking without finding the real facts again are we?

Catholics do not pray to religious statues - if you think that you are grossly misinformed.

Well let me see, the Catholics themselves showed me this, they would buy statues of various saints and mary and then they woul have it bless by their priest. They would pray to the saints for specific reasons. Each Saint is designated to help a person in certain ways, like if you lost things, etc. Now about the feast have you seen the feast in Spain or in Asia? They have processions.. etc to show their adoration to these statues. Now let me see who is uninformed?

Bishka

Veteran Member
ProfLogic said:
Well let me see, the Catholics themselves showed me this, they would buy statues of various saints and mary and then they woul have it bless by their priest. They would pray to the saints for specific reasons. Each Saint is designated to help a person in certain ways, like if you lost things, etc. Now about the feast have you seen the feast in Spain or in Asia? They have processions.. etc to show their adoration to these statues. Now let me see who is uninformed?
Which Catholics have 'shown' you that they pray to their statues?

Yes, they have processions and adoration of the saints, but that is something completley different then
ProfLogic said:
How about the practice of praying to religious statues and feast in honor of these religious statues? Isn't that worshiping?
what you stated as they 'pray to the saints'. It's called intercession - not worship of.

There's a bit of a difference.

Have you talked to any Catholics here?