• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fact vs Truth?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep but one can also be truthful but not factual when you say it's raining cats and dogs.
This still means it's raining, just using a metaphor. I'm not sure anyone is seeing this metaphor as a literal truth-claim.

siti

The fact that it is raining is just a fact - it makes no sense to speak of a fact being true (or false) - it just is

But if I make the statement "it is raining" the statement may be true (or false)...it only makes sense to speak of truth in regard to statements.

So if we say "it is a fact that it is raining" we are making a statement about what is...whereas if we say "it is true that it is raining" we are really commenting on the veracity of the statement "it is raining"...we usually take those two statements to be synonymous but they're really not.

We could say, more explicitly, "it is true to say that it is raining" whilst it would not make any sense to say "it is a fact to say that it is raining"

So I think the confusion of fact and truth comes about really because we use language with insufficient precision to indicate whether we are talking about facts or statements.

Last edited:

joe1776

The fact that it is raining is just a fact - it makes no sense to speak of a fact being true (or false) - it just is
I think facts must be true. it's an essential qualification. If it's not true, it's not a fact. I'll change my mind if you can give me an example of a fact that is not true.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is true that 1 + 1 = 2
(Based upon premises about numbers & arithmetic operations.)

It is a fact that I have 2 middle fingers.
(This is based upon personal observation by many people.)

What's true is always true for all time & all circumstances.
What's factual could change.

For us heathens, true things are those logically deduced
from assumed premises. They're always true for the premises.
But this doesn't mean they're true regarding their application
to the material world, ie, mathematical models of phenomena
aren't true. The most they can be is factual / useful.

Last edited:

siti

I think facts must be true. it's an essential qualification. If it's not true, it's not a fact. I'll change my mind if you can give me an example of a fact that is not true.
A statement of fact must be true...if it is not true to say "it is raining" then it is not a fact that it is raining...the fact has not become false, it just is not a fact...but the fact itself is just a fact... a fact cannot possibly be false, therefore it makes no sense to speak of the fact being true...it cannot be other than it is, otherwise it is not a fact...the statement, on the other hand, becomes false when the fact ceases to exist.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
A fact is based on objective evidence and is something that is verifiable.

A truth is something that is in accordance with virtues. Truth happens in right relationship as deserved.

Superman7

Is there any difference?

I don't see one.
I just wanted to say about the title Fact vs Truth.. Isnt that the same thing? Your gonna make them bump heads like that? Well..Hold on.. Let me wake up here a minute. Facts are what support the truth okay..They are not enemies.. Put instead. How Facts Support The Truth.. Maybe your right in doing that bc the explanation just keeps on getting a Lil longer each time. Perfect..

Is there any difference?

I don't see one.

Facts can be misleading when not presented in an accurate context.

( Without checking) I guess people with higher numbers of covid vaccinations are more likely to die on average than those with 0-3.

This is because older people are more likely to be vaccinated multiple times.

For me, truth is contextualised and accurate in context. Fact can be misleading.

I’d also say truth can be communicated using narratives that are factually untrue. Fiction and myth can often communicate the truth more effectively than a factual narrative.

(If my covid example turns out not to be true, it serves as an example for this one so it works either way :D )

Enai de a lukal

Not much of a difference the way these used are commonly used in philosophy- a fact just is a true proposition. But in the sciences, a "fact" is often a granular piece of observational data: so a specific measurement, for instance. A fact, in science, is something like "Sensor 11 measured a 19.5 last night at 09:00 pm".

But generally, "fact" and "true" are used more or less interchangeably. If something is a fact, then its true too, and if its true, then its a fact.