• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

False Religions

Ormiston

Something Melody wrote in the Devil Plan thread made me start thinking about this. "False Religions" is a funny term to me, one who doesn't believe in any religion. I'm curious about what people think of other religions. Does anyone believe that they are right (One True Religion) and everyone else is wrong (False Religions). Or are there simply some religions that you don't give an once of respect to. The funny thing to me is, what if I started a religion right now. How could this be any less of a True Religion than Christianity or Islam? I'd have less followers but I'd still be using the original formula for inventing a religion. "God inspired/talked to me and told me to do it!" :rolleyes:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I do believe in "One True Religion". Thankfully I belong to it. :D
But I respect the indifferent and unsettled. I try to extend charity to all.

~Victor

*edit - Maize reminded me that as catholics we do hold that wisdoms and truths can exist outside of the "One True Religion". Thanks Maize.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
UUs believe there is wisdom in most, if not all, of the world's religions. We feel each is valuable for what it can tell us about ourselves and our world, and how its members find religious meaning and direction. We do not feel that we are the One True Religion and that there is no such thing, only what is right and true for each individual. We do not even claim that UUism is right for everyone, we recognize that and encourage individuals to find the path that is right for them, even if it is not UUism.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I feel all religions are equally valid. We live a different one during a different life to learn from it. We learn many experiences over many life times to become enlightened.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Victor said:

~Victor

*edit - Maize reminded me that as catholics we do hold that wisdoms and truths can exist outside of the "One True Religion". Thanks Maize.
Victor -

How do you respond to those who are are different and settled? That would be a key question from my perspective.

Quiddity

Engyo said:
Victor -

How do you respond to those who are are different and settled? That would be a key question from my perspective.
The same as the indifferent and unsettled. With charity and respect.

~Victor

Faint

Ormiston said:
Something Melody wrote in the Devil Plan thread made me start thinking about this. "False Religions" is a funny term to me, one who doesn't believe in any religion. I'm curious about what people think of other religions. Does anyone believe that they are right (One True Religion) and everyone else is wrong (False Religions). Or are there simply some religions that you don't give an once of respect to. The funny thing to me is, what if I started a religion right now. How could this be any less of a True Religion than Christianity or Islam? I'd have less followers but I'd still be using the original formula for inventing a religion. "God inspired/talked to me and told me to do it!" :rolleyes:
I think the difference between your new religion and one like Islam is primarily a matter of establishment. Many people tend to believe in something more if a lot of other people already believe it. But once it's established a little history, the masses will likely acceept it as a legitmate religion. Until then, it will likely remain a cult.

Most religions I know of have started out as a cult at one point. I don't think it is a matter of truth (obviously) or even reason, but whether or not the religion fulfills some kind of need in the person's life. For instance, even the most absurdly manufactured meme-complexes can snowball into a larger movement if conditions are right (i.e. Scientology, Raelian Movement, LDS, Jedi, Children of God, etc.). But todays cult may be tomorrow's uberreligion.

For my part, I tend to see the ridiculous side of things--especially religions, and especially people who think their religion is just SO valid. It certainly keeps me entertained here at work. But I also recognize most people haven't had my good fortune nor have they learned or accepted certain important truths about the world that I have realized. So, if they have been mislead by a faith, I empathize. But as for "respect", I definitely have more respect for people who have viewpoints similar to my own. This is not to say that I disrespect others because of their religion, but I will definitely put them into the "this person could learn a few things" category.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems to me that many of the core beliefs of the various religions are essentially unprovable. For instance, that god exists is essentially unprovable. So, on what basis does one say that a religion is true or false?

Quiddity

Sunstone said:
It seems to me that many of the core beliefs of the various religions are essentially unprovable. For instance, that god exists is essentially unprovable. So, on what basis does one say that a religion is true or false?
I think you already know the answer to this. If you take God out, there is no basis.

~Victor

nutshell

Victor said:

~Victor

Hey, Victor stole my post! :mad: :biglaugh:

Dayv

Personally I think all religions are equally invalid. I don't think anyone knows crap and everyone's pretty much just winging it. The only reason I even call myself a druid is because I like it's ideals (and I love nature) and I think it would be awesome if it were right, but it's probably not. One of my main reasons for debating on this forum, and with almost anyone with a strong and inflexible belief, is not because I want them to believe something else or stop believing, but because I just want people to admit (or at the least realize) that there is not only a chance that they're wrong, but a good chance. I think if everyone could admit this, we could solve or dramatically lessen many problems.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
hmm... I can say I'm not much for Raileins (sp?) and other 'alien cults', bit wacky for my tastes... but hey people believe what they want to and they have to justify it to themselves.

wa:do

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
I think of religions as being beneficial or antagonistic to society, not whether they are "true" or "false". The religions that believe themselves to be the "one true religion" are the ones that are the most dangerous and most antagonistic to society. But, religion itself is not a matter of being true or false, it's about believing in a worldview and making it real.

Quiddity

Darkdale said:
The religions that believe themselves to be the "one true religion" are the ones that are the most dangerous and most antagonistic to society.
Dangerous? I'd be interested in hearing you out and going deeper into why you think this.

~Victor

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ormiston said:
If you truly were inspired, yes. Paul Tillich, arguably the greatest theologian of the 20th centrury, defined religion as "ultimate concern." That which you care most about. By Tillich's definition, everyone has a religion (tho obviously not everyone belongs to an organized religion.) Even the person who cares about nothing more than whether his baseball team will win the world series this year has his religion. The only difference between us is whether we place our highest concern in something finite like a baseball team or a person or in something transcendant, like the greater good of humanity or God. (Tillich was very much an existentialist.)

But to adress your original question: my religion, UU, does not believe that there is one true religion out there, not even ours. Like the blind men and the elephant we grasp on to parts of the truth but are unable to see all of it. And different people may need to focus on different aspects of the truth given their stage of life. UUs believe that revelation is ongoing, so what may have been "true" (ie - useful) at one time may not be true (ie - useful) now. (I love your Voltaire quote, btw.)

So there is no one right religion. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that all religions are equally valid. Different religions may have hold of different parts of the elephant but some religions may not be touching the elephant at all, and may be leading you away from the elephant. As a UU I reject any religion, or any interpretation of a religion, that emphasizes selfish desires over community. I reject any religion, or any interpretation of a religion, that makes people meaner, crueler, less tolerant, less loving. That's my criterion. I might tolerate these "wrong" religions or I might not, depending on whether they are simply leading their adherants astray or whether they are actually causing harm to others, but as you suggest I don't give one ounce of respect to them.

Melody

Victor,

I'm just going to frubal you since you've saved me some typing (and said it better than I probably would have).

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I like Paul's approach to religions that he didn't believe in:

Acts 17:16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to dispute with him. Some of them asked, "What is this babbler trying to say?" Others remarked, "He seems to be advocating foreign gods." They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, "May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we want to know what they mean." 21 (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)
22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you. NIV

I guess if Paul didn't see the need to condemn these "other" religions, then I don't see the need either.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
i do not believe in one true faith

i believe that in one way or another they are all inspired by the same being.

Fatmop

I like Paul's approach to religions that he didn't believe in:

Acts 17:16 While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. 17 So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the God-fearing Greeks, as well as in the marketplace day by day with those who happened to be there. 18 A group of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers began to dispute with him. Some of them asked, "What is this babbler trying to say?" Others remarked, "He seems to be advocating foreign gods." They said this because Paul was preaching the good news about Jesus and the resurrection. 19 Then they took him and brought him to a meeting of the Areopagus, where they said to him, "May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? 20 You are bringing some strange ideas to our ears, and we want to know what they mean." 21 (All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)
22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you. NIV

I guess if Paul didn't see the need to condemn these "other" religions, then I don't see the need either.

Maybe not condemning, but certainly convinced he was right and they were wrong. That can be just as offensive as flat-out condemning other religions.

As for 'defining religion' as 'ultimate concern,' that's not the definition of religion. There is very little room for serious comparison between worshipping a deity and loving a baseball team.