• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Falsehood and Misconception

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Consider this quote from Wikipedia...

"An Apocalypse (Greek: Ἀποκάλυψις Apokálypsis; "lifting of the veil" or "revelation") is a disclosure of something hidden from the majority of mankind in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e. "the veil to be lifted."

Perhaps an Apocalypse would simply mean the end of this world being dominated by belief in deities such as the Abrahamic Christian God.... The belief in such things many would consider a "falsehood or misconception". Giving rise to an era dominated by science and reason...and atheists. That wouldn't be such a bad thing now would it?:shrug:

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Religion does serve a purpose. As a personal example, after my divorce, I left Christianity for Buddhism, because Buddhism offered me a way to look at my situation and try to make the most of it. It have me hope, and peace, and a reason for being, that science simply could not offer. Science just explains the things that are here; the "how" and "when" and "where", but not the "why". That's something religion can give.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Not the end of religion altogether and nothing against religion. Of course religion serves a purpose...it shaped our world in many ways. Things may change one day however, where the majority of people come to prefer science over religion, and not the other way around.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I think religions like Buddhism, Taoism, pantheism, and deism will one day be the major religions. People are tired of all the superstition, and all the polemics, and fighting, and one day embrace religions that lean more toward reason than the supernatural.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I think religions like Buddhism, Taoism, pantheism, and deism will one day be the major religions. People are tired of all the superstition, and all the polemics, and fighting, and one day embrace religions that lean more toward reason than the supernatural.

i second that. we should always strive to better our selves, but not under the thumb of a celestial dictator. we know what that does.

Orias

Left Hand Path

"An Apocalypse (Greek: Ἀποκάλυψις Apokálypsis; "lifting of the veil" or "revelation") is a disclosure of something hidden from the majority of mankind in an era dominated by falsehood and misconception, i.e. "the veil to be lifted."

Perhaps an Apocalypse would simply mean the end of this world being dominated by belief in deities such as the Abrahamic Christian God.... The belief in such things many would consider a "falsehood or misconception". Giving rise to an era dominated by science and reason...and atheists. That wouldn't be such a bad thing now would it?:shrug:

Of course not, I have been waiting for this moment you speak of for some time now, though the possibilites of enigma could be much more than what is "misconceived".

1AOA1

If reason descends from atheism, is the goal to eliminate God or become God

patriot51

to believe in the supernatual means you believe in ghosts, spirits or a higher power. if you lean towards reason you will most certainly become an Atheist. I find that when debating religion the religious all have there own interpretation on what religion is due to the many many diffrent faiths...

Atheists all underatand the same logic and reason. We dont need a book to guide us or give us morales... so I hope that religion many years from now fades away... :yes:

Gloone

There will always be falsehood and misconceptions, mainly because there will always be arrogant people, with or without religion, with or without science, with or without atheist.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I'd say its safe to assume that atheists overlook the value of belief.

Not only that, they misidentify their logic with being the most "reasonable" or "logical", without having any proof of their conceptions.

But beggars can't be chosers.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Eventually something probably catastrophic will happen to this world.....it is inevitable that this world won't last forever. People will pray to their god to come save them, but it won't happen. Perhaps that's what happens to gods....they are eventually abandoned and their followers turn to science to save them when nothing else will. I am in fact part Animist, and part Atheist. I do believe in some things....just not all-powerful beings.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism

I agree with this as well.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I'd say its safe to assume that atheists overlook the value of belief.

Not only that, they misidentify their logic with being the most "reasonable" or "logical", without having any proof of their conceptions.

But beggars can't be chosers.

There is a definite value in belief and ritual. That is why I am part Animist.:D

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

Not at all.

I think that would trigger the Second Coming.

BruceDLimber

Things may change one day however, where the majority of people come to prefer science over religion, and not the other way around.

You are obviously ignoring the fact that some religions respect BOTH science and religion and stress their mutual necessity and importance!

Peace,

Bruce

Orias

Left Hand Path
There is a definite value in belief and ritual. That is why I am part Animist.:D

I agree also.

What's more enhancing and uplifting than a psychodramatic ritual?

I don't belief it's something that any narrow minded Atheist could understand (not saying all Atheists are of course).