• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Family of Christian on Death Row for Blasphemy Appeals to International Community

Is opposing blasphemy laws Islamophobic?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gsa

The family of Asia Bibi, a Christian woman who found herself on death row after daring to drink from the same water as Muslims in Pakistan, is appealing to the international community for help:

Asma Jahangir said she thought it was unlikely that Asia Bibi would be pardoned because of the outrage it may cause. Asia's husband said the blasphemy law had "destroyed our lives".

"I call on the international community to help. And I ask the Pakistani government to review this law," he said. Her daughters visit her from time to time but seeing her in jail is never easy. "We saw her last December," Esham said. "We asked the warden to open the cell so we can hug her, but he didn't. My mother hugged and kissed us from behind the bars. She cried deep from her heart."

Just how bad is it for nonbelievers in Pakistan? Asia's family has been in hiding for years following her arrest, two politicians who called for reform were assassinated, and defense lawyers and judges are regularly threatened with death for standing up for those who dare to insult the religion of peace.

Will the international community listen? Or will we defer to cultural relativism and Muslim fears of "Islamopobia" while allowing this woman, and countless others, to die alone and live in a constant state of fear?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Anti-blasephemy laws are the very epitomy of social regression. We've come so far from the horrible times when religious beliefs were put on a pedestool, not to be challenged, mocked, or questioned as authoritative. We must stand together to protect the rights of our fellow men to challenge any belief, no matter how strongly it is held.

gsa

Anti-blasephemy laws are the very epitomy of social regression. We've come so far from the horrible times when religious beliefs were put on a pedestool, not to be challenged, mocked, or questioned as authoritative. We must stand together to protect the rights of our fellow men to challenge any belief, no matter how strongly it is held.

I agree. But many Muslim states are pushing for an international convention against blasphemy, believe it or not.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Preach it. #2Cor.10:5

catch22

It's not Islamophobic to oppose the laws (I voted as such). My aside is this: a dutiful, Quran practicing muslim must absolutely advocate for this, lest they be subject to blasphemy themselves.

Any practicing muslims care to chime in?

As for how bad it is in Pakistan, you did read about the couple who got burned to death a few months ago, right?

That's just what's released to the public. You can bet a majority of what happens to non-Muslims rarely leaves their locality.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I agree. But many Muslim states are pushing for an international convention against blasphemy, believe it or not.
And those people are selfish, thin-skinned, self-reighteous, ignoramouses who do not value anything but their own faith. I for one will go out of my way until unreasonable requests like this are outright dismissed.

gsa

And those people are selfish, thin-skinned, self-reighteous, ignoramouses who do not value anything but their own faith. I for one will go out of my way until unreasonable requests like this are outright dismissed.

I agree.

One major step would be for European states to get rid of the blasphemy laws on their own books and to revisit "hate speech" laws as well. That will remove the fig leaf used by Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and others, who point to those laws as examples of how blasphemy laws are compatible with liberal democracy.

GoodbyeDave

In Europe blasphemy laws are confined to Ireland and Greece, and no-one has been actually convicted, I believe.

Britain makes it illegal to incite religious hatred and Germany to insult religion in such a way to to cause a breach of the peace, but that's a different thing.

gsa

In Europe blasphemy laws are confined to Ireland and Greece, and no-one has been actually convicted, I believe.

Britain makes it illegal to incite religious hatred and Germany to insult religion in such a way to to cause a breach of the peace, but that's a different thing.

I think that the European incitement laws are just as problematic. All of these laws should be repealed.