• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fascination With Execution

jacquie4000

I am starting this thread due to a previous thread showing the full version of Saddam's Execution...which I did not want to watch but wanted to know what the post would be from members...

What drives you to want to view this?

over 40 people visited this post did you view it but not post?

Just Curious

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jacquie4000 said:
I am starting this thread due to a previous thread showing the full version of Saddam's Execution...which I did not want to watch but wanted to know what the post would be from members...

Just Curious
I plead guilty. I watched it (however my speakers are not working, so there was no sound). I don't know why I watched it. I know for sure that I wouldn't watch to watch a good man die.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
This should probably be in the debate section......:)

I guess my main question would be what drives you to watch someone die?

The video was very grainy and was not really graphic at all. I've seen much, much, much worse in R rated movies. The poor quality of the tape was apparent right off. Personally, intially I was curious...then when I saw that the video was of poor quality I decided if it got better and more graphic I would click out. It wasn't nearly as bad as you are thinking. In fact, the whole execution was not shown. Before and afterwards shots mostly.

jacquie4000

plead guilty. I watched it (however my speakers are not working, so there was no sound). I don't know why I watched it. I know for sure that I wouldn't watch to watch a good man die.___________________________
I am not speaking about the man good or bad, Just what makes someone want to view a public death....I am not saying you are bad just what makes us tick.

Judgement Day

jacquie4000 said:
I guess my main question would be what drives you to watch someone die?
For me, its the rememberance of death, that we all are going to die sometime and face God and be responsible for all of our deeds. It gives me the power to review myself, to put aside all of my worldly ego, to correct myself, and to face the true meaning why we are here.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
jacquie4000 said:
Hmmm not really many humans have this fasination...but why is the question?
I understand that. But this section is for discussion. I could easily see this topic turning into a debate. I'll let the MODS decide though. :)

jacquie4000

I
understand that. But this section is for discussion. I could easily see this topic turning into a debate. I'll let the MODS decide though. :)

Whatever you think is best............I do not wish to anger the Gods..........lol
This is a pun of course.

Judgement Day

Buttercup said:
This should probably be in the debate section......:)

The video was very grainy and was not really graphic at all. I've seen much, much, much worse in R rated movies. The poor quality of the tape was apparent right off. Personally, intially I was curious...then when I saw that the video was of poor quality I decided if it got better and more graphic I would click out. It wasn't nearly as bad as you are thinking. In fact, the whole execution was not shown. Before and afterwards shots mostly.
The video was not that good, poor quality as you said, but you can still see all the details, and it is sure not for the fainted heart to view. The whole execution was shown, including the drop, I don't know why you said this, but it showed all: before, after, and the drop.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Judgement Day said:
The video was not that good, poor quality as you said, but you can still see all the details, and it is sure not for the fainted heart to view. The whole execution was shown, including the drop, I don't know why you said this, but it showed all: before, after, and the drop.
From the video I saw...the camera went to filming the stairs and was showing that for the longest time. I couldn't see anything but a black shadow dropping....you couldn't even tell what it was. And then after some more terrible camera work, it showed Saddam's face. It was a jerky, jumpy, fuzzy video. It was hard to tell what was going on to me. :rolleyes:

Judgement Day

Buttercup said:
From the video I saw...the camera went to filming the stairs and was showing that for the longest time. I couldn't see anything but a black shadow dropping....you couldn't even tell what it was. And then after some more terrible camera work, it showed Saddam's face. It was a jerky, jumpy, fuzzy video. It was hard to tell what was going on to me. :rolleyes:
Yes, but then the camera tilted to where Saddam was soon after that, and filmed the drop, watch it again, maybe you accidently blinked and got your attention distracted. Maybe you could also adjust your screen brightness/contrast settings.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Judgement Day said:
Yes, but then the camera tilted to where Saddam was soon after that, and filmed the drop, watch it again, maybe you accidently blinked and got your attention distracted. Maybe you could also adjust your screen brightness/contrast settings.
Haaa, no thanks...it's ok. Perhaps my monitor was too dark, I don't know. But, I saw very little really. It wasn't bad at all.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I looked at the thread to see how people would respond, but I didn't watch the video. I didn't need to. At a younger age I visited those sites that show people getting stoned to death and hanging from trees out of curiosity -- when I saw a clip where a teenager messed up in the process of hanging himself, I nearly lost my stomach. I was brought back to the day one of my class mates hanged himself and rehearsed the whole story in my mind. A fudged hanging is unimaginable.

From what I read at freerepublic.com Saddam died quickly -- to the dismay of some. I, however, was hoping the opposite. I'm *glad* to see my hope became reality.

jacquie4000

looked at the thread to see how people would respond, but I didn't watch the video. At a younger age I visited the sites where they showed people getting stoned to death and hanging from trees out of curiosity -- when I saw a clip where the hanging went wrong, I nearly lost my stomach.

So could you say that you wondered what made other people view death? You already viewed it yourself and decided that it was not a great thing. What made you view things like this before?

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
jacquie4000 said:
So could you say that you wondered what made other people view death? You already viewed it yourself and decided that it was not a great thing. What made you view things like this before?

I personally wanted to see everything living about death. I wanted to see how the executioners responded, how the victim twisted and turned and regarded unimaginable pain, how fear could overshadow everything else and turn even the strongest of wills into mush. I wanted to see the look in someone's eyes before, during, and after they hanged themselves.

And now I feel sick. :(

jacquie4000

The inclination that one may not be able to personally go through this experience attracts someone to it.___________________________

I am sorry I don't understand this ...because you won't be hung someday you want to view someone else being hung....?

This is not being rude...But I would think it would be not ever watching someone die ...not knowing what it is truely like to be put to death...maybe I am wrong

jacquie4000

Since the beginning public deaths were a social event of sorts....
Even with the Gladiators...watching people die...being put in the arena.
What makes people want to come and watch...what is inside us that compels us to do this?

ChrisP

Veteran Member
jacquie4000 said:

Just Curious
There's an excellent explanation of this on the, again, excellent documentary Metal: A Headbangers Journey; made by a student of heavy metal and a recipient of a Masters in Anthropology from some University in Canada :p.

I'll go watch it again and get a transcript.

I completely believe no aspect of life should be covered up in the way death is. We want to ignore it, some say because it will come eventually, some because to them it is unsightly, others yet still because they are afraid to see it.

It's probably more through fear that we choose to push death aside. Most human action is in response to fear in one way or another.