• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Father lets daughter die to avoid male life-guards touching her

Akivah

Not according to many people in that part of the world. They routinely let their female children die rather than let males touch them during rescues. Look up the girls school fire in Saudi Arabia. Look up honor killings. It's part of their culture.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
There is a lot of ridiculous thinking still in this world. I would think he would be charged with a crime in any modern thinking country. But in the Islamic world, there is a strange mix of modern and medieval thinking so who knows how the case will be handled.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Not according to many people in that part of the world. They routinely let their female children die rather than let males touch them during rescues. Look up the girls school fire in Saudi Arabia. Look up honor killings. It's part of their culture.
Should "parts of culture" like this even be respected. I mean, if there was a culture that had included in it the abandonment of all sick children due to religious beliefs, would the world put up with it?

Tumah

Veteran Member
When it comes to this type of stuff, I always think that the person should be psychologically evaluated. Unless this is an accurate representation of this man's society its probably just one guy who's gone off the deep-end.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Should "parts of culture" like this even be respected. I mean, if there was a culture that had included in it the abandonment of all sick children due to religious beliefs, would the world put up with it?

No, the father did what he felt was right. You also have to do what you feel is right.

I'm fine with letting other folks have their culture as long as it ain't stepping on my toes. Letting someone die when they could be saved is stepping on my toes. Compassion outweighs culture.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
No, the father did what he felt was right. You also have to do what you feel is right.

I'm fine with letting other folks have their culture as long as it ain't stepping on my toes. Letting someone die when they could be saved is stepping on my toes. Compassion outweighs culture.
I think the girls death is 100% on the father's hands. Reckless abandonment.

Kirran

Premium Member
Don't think there's really any excusing this. But I do think it is a very sad and extreme manifestation of a cultural more found in certain typically-Islamic regions. No excusing it, as I say.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Looking at the country it took place in, I am not surprised.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Looking at the country it took place in, I am not surprised.
So, this is just a cultural flaw then, in your opinion? Is this kind of behavior the norm there? That men are so disgusting that it is better to die than allow a lifeguard to save your life? It just is so idiotic.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
So, this is just a cultural flaw then, in your opinion? Is this kind of behavior the norm there? That men are so disgusting that it is better to die than allow a lifeguard to save your life? It just is so idiotic.
I agree. It is a cultural flaw because the idea of a culture is to create a group/society that can thrive and continue. This kind of culture does the opposite in the name of "purity".

Akivah

Should "parts of culture" like this even be respected.

I don't. And most people in the West don't.

I mean, if there was a culture that had included in it the abandonment of all sick children due to religious beliefs, would the world put up with it?

There might be a culture somewhere in the world that already does this. Anyways, all sorts of countries have all sorts of differing beliefs. Which should the world choose?

Akivah

No, not a man that died. It was a woman. That's allowed in Islamic culture.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Dubai is not the only place where lethal parental idiocy happens.
Here in the USA children have died while their Christian parents tried to pray away diabetes and meningitis and such.
Tom
Are you referring to Christian Scientists? I agree. If a person wants to hurt themselves like this, it is their business. But, once they subject their children to it, it becomes criminal.