• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Quotes

idea

Question Everything
I know namaste is simpler than this, but I love this quote:

I honor the place within you where the entire Universe resides; I honor the place within you of love, of light, of truth, of peace; I honor the place within you, where, when you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, there is only one of us.
Namaste

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I have journals filled with collected quotes............

"Take counsel from he who makes you weep, not from he who makes you laugh."
(Arabic proverb)
"Loyalty is something you need for things you don't love enough. When you love enough, loyalty isn't even a question."

"Obedience is the assassin of conscience. . . that is why every lasting institution demands it."

". . . kneel in the knowledge that we are all connected, every one of us, and every living thing, kneel in the knowledge that we are in this struggle to understand and belong, but don't blindly obey anyone, ever."
_The Mountain Shadow_
by Gregory David Roberts
"Everything is worship if your mind is focused on the present moment. "
_The Witch of Portobello_
by Paulo Coelho
"The concept of being born twice is really no more surprising than being born once." -- Voltaire
"Above all, don’t lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to such a pass that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others." --
_The Brothers Karamazov_
by Dostoevsky
“We are souls dressed up in sacred biochemical garments and our bodies are the instruments through which our souls play their music.”

"Everything is determined, every beginning and ending, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect, as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper."

“The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It will transcend a personal God and avoid dogma and theology.”

"Our separation from each other is an optical illusion."

"The common idea that I am an atheist is based on a big mistake. Anyone who interprets my scientific theories this way, did not understand them."
-- Albert Einstein

Heyo

Veteran Member
This thread was inspired by @Rival thread on Christian's favorite Quotes.

What are your favorite quotes? I'm looking for quotes from any sources you like.

“You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen.”​

- or any other quote by Douglas Adams.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
A new-to-me quote:
"The pursuit of knowledge for its own sake, an almost fanatical love of justice and the desire for personal independence -- these are the features of the Jewish tradition that make me thank my stars that I belong to it."
--Albert Einstein
"God is God . . . He did not tell Moses whether He was good or evil; He simply said: I am. He is everything that exists under the sun -- the lightening bolt that destroys a house, and the hands of man that rebuilds it "

"There is no tragedy . . . Everything hath its reason for being: thou needest only distinguish what is temporary from what is lasting."
_The Fifth Mountain _
by Paulo Coelho

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
This thread was inspired by @Rival thread on Christian's favorite Quotes.

What are your favorite quotes? I'm looking for quotes from any sources you like.
From the Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien:

Frodo: [of Gollum] It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance.
Gandalf: Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many.

From Walden by Henry David Thoreau:

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

There are countless children's books that I'd love to quote. I think sometimes we reserve our wisest teachings for children's literature. I'd love to quote Billie Wind in "The Talking Earth," a science oriented Seminole girl sent on a vision quest, who comes to appreciate the wisdom of her tribal spirituality. There is one point where she is in the middle of a hurricane, and there is a turtle, and (I'm paraphrasing this from memory) she says to the turtle, "You have to be strong. After all, you carry the world on your back."

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Voltaire:
Je ne suis pas d'accord avec ce que vous dites, mais je me battrai jusqu'à la mort, pourque vous aviez le droit de le dire.
I disagree with you, but I will fight to death so you have the right to say it.

Kant:
Der bestirnte Himmel über mir, und das moralische Gesetz in mir.
The starry sky over me, and the moral law in me.

Dante Alighieri:
You were not created to live like brutes, but to pursue virtue and knowledge.
The Love that moves the Sun and the other stars.