• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite biblical book?

Engywook

subtitle
I would post a poll, but I would be sure to forget about some book which some denomination considers sacred, so I will leave it out :)

So, what is your favourite book in the Bible and why?

Mine would be the Ecclesiastes:
Ecclesiastes 9:7-10 said:
Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. Always be clothed in white, and always anoint your head with oil. Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun— all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

Smoke

Done here.
Mine would be the Ecclesiastes
Mine, too, and that's my favorite passage. I like the King James:
For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope:
for a living dog is better than a dead lion.
For the living know that they shall die:
but the dead know not any thing,
neither have they any more a reward;
for the memory of them is forgotten.
Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished;
neither have they any more a portion for ever
in any thing that is done under the sun.

Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy,
and drink thy wine with a merry heart;
for God now accepteth thy works.
Let thy garments be always white;
and let thy head lack no ointment.
Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest
all the days of the life of thy vanity,
which he hath given thee under the sun,
all the days of thy vanity:
for that is thy portion in this life,
and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do,do it with thy might;
for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom,
in the grave, whither thou goest.

I returned, and saw under the sun,
that the race is not to the swift,
nor the battle to the strong,
neither yet bread to the wise,
nor yet riches to men of understanding,
nor yet favour to men of skill;
but time and chance happeneth to them all.

For man also knoweth not his time:
as the fishes that are taken in an evil net,
and as the birds that are caught in the snare;
so are the sons of men snared in an evil time,
when it falleth suddenly upon them.
That last verse is one of my favorites from the LOLCat Bible, too:
Just like teh fish or teh bird you catch don't know when it's gonna die, neither do you. It will surprise you.
I also like the Sermon on the Mount and the books of Samuel and Kings.

Biblestudent_007

In the OT the book of Leviticus.

In the NT the Synoptic gospels of Matthew,Mark, and Luke.

And in the truthful message of Jesus Christ ~ The 3 Epistles of St. John the Theologian.

. .

Bereanz

The Book of Hebrews blows my tiny mind. And I love the Psalms and Proverbs.

My Favourite Ecclesiastes

Ecc 12:11 The words of the wise are like goads, and the words of scholars are like well-driven nails, given by one Shepherd.

Ecc 12:12 And further, my son, be admonished by these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is wearisome to the flesh.

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man's all.

Ecc 12:14 For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I love the Psalms, Proverbs, the Song of Solomon, and Ecclesiastes, for their wisdom and guidance as well as their poetic beauty.

But I think my favorite book of the bible is 1 John. The tone is so gentle and loving, and yet firm.

From 1 John 2:

12 I am writing to you, dear children,
because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.
13 I am writing to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.
14 I write to you, dear children,
because you know the Father.
I write to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men,
because you are strong,
and the word of God lives in you,
and you have overcome the evil one.

I love the Song of Songs, Sirach, and Wisdom.

I also love the Book of Ruth, Tobit, and Judith. :D

"I am the mother of fair love, and fear, and knowledge, and holy hope: I therefore, being eternal, am given to all my children which are named of him.
Come unto me, all ye that be desirous of me, and fill yourselves with my fruits.
For my memorial is sweeter than honey, and mine inheritance than the honeycomb.
They that eat me shall yet be hungry, and they that drink me shall yet be thirsty.
He that obeyeth me shall never be confounded, and they that work by me shall not do amiss."

-- Sirach 24:18-22

"As a drop of water unto the sea, and a gravelstone in comparison of the sand; so are a thousand years to the days of eternity."

-- Sirach 18:10

"Therefore let us lie in wait for the righteous; because he is not for our turn, and he is clean contrary to our doings: he upbraideth us with our offending the law, and objecteth to our infamy the transgressings of our education.
He professeth to have the knowledge of God: and he calleth himself the child of the Lord.
He was made to reprove our thoughts.
He is grievous unto us even to behold: for his life is not like other men's, his ways are of another fashion.
We are esteemed of him as counterfeits: he abstaineth from our ways as from filthiness: he pronounceth the end of the just to be blessed, and maketh his boast that God is his father.
Let us see if his words be true: and let us prove what shall happen in the end of him.
For if the just man be the son of God, he will help him, and deliver him from the hand of his enemies.
Let us examine him with despitefulness and torture, that we may know his meekness, and prove his patience.
Let us condemn him with a shameful death: for by his own saying he shall be respected.
Such things they did imagine, and were deceived: for their own wickedness hath blinded them.
As for the mysteries of God, they knew them not: neither hoped they for the wages of righteousness, nor discerned a reward for blameless souls."

-- Wisdom 2:12-22

Rakhel

Song of Solomon because of the poetry.
Job because is shows bad things can happen to good people.

dmgdnooc

Job, because it shows that those doubts and questions that so many say we shouldn't have can be directed to God in hope.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Psalms and Proverbs, the most harmless and least violent of the OT's books, and also the Gospel of Mark in the NT, because it's the earliest of the gospels.

I would post a poll, but I would be sure to forget about some book which some denomination considers sacred, so I will leave it out :)

So, what is your favourite book in the Bible and why?

Mine would be the Ecclesiastes:
Whatever book I am reading at the time seems to be my favorite book.

Sultan Of Swing

Hebrews, Corinthians, Ecclesiastes, Songs of Solomon, Genesis and Revelation. The Gospels are nice too. I adore the wisdom from Ecclesiastes and the poetry from Songs of Solomon though - truly wonderful.