• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite Qur'an verses?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hi all,
I was wondering what your favourite Qur'anic verses are, which ones speak to you most for example.

What are your...let's see... top three? :D

Fatihah

Hi all,
I was wondering what your favourite Qur'anic verses are, which ones speak to you most for example.

Response: Hmmmm? I think that's hard question for any muslim to answer. Each verse is special in it's own way and much of the qur'an can't be understood unless it's read within the context of many verses. I'll have to get back to you on this one. Interesting question though. I don't think I've ever been asked this before.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm not yet a Muslim. But soon.
If no-one minds I'd like to post one verse that really touched me
25:63 And the servants of (Allah) Most Gracious are those who walk on the earth in humility, and when the ignorant address them, they say, "Peace!"; WaAAibadu alrrahmaniallatheena yamshoona AAala al-ardi hawnanwa-itha khatabahumu aljahiloona qaloosalaman
25_63.gif

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi all,

1. This chapter (sorry it's not one verse :p) is the most powerful chapter "surah" ever, in the Quran. It describes Allah.

[1] Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;

[2] Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;

[3] He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;

[4] And there is none like unto Him. (Quran 112:1-4)

2. Some people, especially believers, might wonder why many bad things happen to them and they always find themselves in a test after another, but this verse is the answer.

[214] Or do ye think that ye shall enter the Garden (of Bliss) without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They encountered suffering and adversity, and were so shaken in spirit that even the Messenger and those of faith who were with him cried: "When (will come) the help of Allah" ah! verily, the help of Allah is (always) near! (Quran 2:214)

3. I love this comprehensive verse ...

"It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces towards East or West; but it is righteousness to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and practise regular charity, to fulfil the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the God-fearing". (Quran 2:177)

Now, if i just can do all the things mentioned in this verse or even half of them, that would be something. I'm still trying though to increase my faith. :p

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
That's very difficult question because every verse and every letter in the holy Qur'an has a meaning.........But let's try. :)

1- "Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;" [1:2]

2- "Then, after that, your hearts were hardened and became as stones or even worse in hardness. And indeed, there are stones out of which rivers gush forth, and indeed, there are of them (stones) which split asunder so that water flows from them, and indeed, there are of them (stones) which fall down for fear of Allah. And Allah is not unaware of what you do." [2:74]

3- "And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad (peace be upon him)) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright". [2:186]

4- "Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The parable of His Light is as (if there were) a niche and within it a lamp: the lamp is in glass, the glass as it were a brilliant star, lit from a blessed tree, an olive, neither of the east (i.e. neither it gets sun-rays only in the morning) nor of the west (i.e. nor it gets sun-rays only in the afternoon, but it is exposed to the sun all day long), whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself), though no fire touched it. Light upon Light! Allah guides to His Light whom He wills. And Allah sets forth parables for mankind, and Allah is All-Knower of everything." [24:35]

5- "Has not the time come for the hearts of those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism) to be affected by Allah's Reminder (this Qur'an), and that which has been revealed of the truth, lest they become as those who received the Scripture (the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)) before (i.e. Jews and Christians), and the term was prolonged for them and so their hearts were hardened? And many of them were Fasiqun (the rebellious, the disobedient to Allah)." [57:16]

maro

muslimah
"Has not the time come for the hearts of those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism) to be affected by Allah's Reminder (this Qur'an), and that which has been revealed of the truth, ....

This verse always toushes My heart , sister

when i feel allah is not pleased with me..i always recite surat a-duha in my prayers to reassure myself

[ 1] By the Glorious morning Light,

[2] And by the Night when it is still,

[3] Thy Guardian-Lord hath not forsaken thee, nor is He displeased.

[4] And verily the Hereafter will be better for thee than the present.

[5] And soon will thy Guardian-Lord give thee (that wherewith) thou shalt be well-pleased.

[6] Did He not find thee an orphan and give thee shelter (and care)?

[7] And He found thee wandering, and He gave thee guidance.

[8] And He found thee in need, and made thee independent.

[9] Therefore treat not the orphan with harshness,

[10] Nor repulse the petitioner (unheard);
[11] But the Bounty of thy Lord; Rehearse and proclaim!

I also like surat Maryam (19) so much..i always listen to its recitation by Mashari rashed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5aIi3OqOJU&feature=related

Last edited:

Zindagee Rahmaan

Believing in unity
ذَلِكَ ٱلْكِتَابُ لاَ رَيْبَ فِيهِ هُدًى لِّلْمُتَّقِينَ

"This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt; A guidance unto those who ward off" (2:2)

*Covering the Whole Quran )(​

Clear

Premium Member
If it is permissible, I'd like to point out that I have enjoyed the various histories referred to in Surah 6:

“And thus We showed Abraham the kingdom of the heavens and the earth so he might be among those having certitude. When the night covered him, he saw a star. He said. “This is my Lord.” When it set, he said, “I love not those that set.” Then he saw the moon rising in splendor. He said, “This is my Lord.” When it set, he said, “Except my Lord guide me, I shall be among the errant people”

I suppose that theologically, I enjoy Surah 6 and the principle of Abraham coming out of idolatry into the knowledge of God bit by bit. The early Histories such as that reflected in Sura 6 demonstrate that he, like the rest of us, had to arrive at a greater understanding by gaining knowledge by a process (rather than magically arriving at it...), making his own mistakes along the way. I think it is an accurate and profound reflection of our true relationship to gaining and understanding truth. Except we are helped and guided, on our own, we can hardly avoid error (if at all).

Clear
vifuou

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Will you not like to participate in top three? :angel2:
Kay. :D
قُل لَّوۡ كَانَ ٱلۡبَحۡرُ مِدَادً۬ا لِّكَلِمَـٰتِ رَبِّى لَنَفِدَ ٱلۡبَحۡرُ قَبۡلَ أَن تَنفَدَ كَلِمَـٰتُ رَبِّى وَلَوۡ جِئۡنَا بِمِثۡلِهِۦ مَدَدً۬ا
(18:109) Yusuf Ali: Say: "If the ocean were ink (wherewith to write out) the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted than would the words of my Lord, even if we added another ocean like it, for its aid."

فَٱذۡكُرُونِىٓ أَذۡكُرۡكُمۡ وَٱشۡڪُرُواْ لِى وَلَا تَكۡفُرُونِ
(2:152) Pickthal: Therefore remember Me, I will remember you. Give thanks to Me, and reject not Me.

وَءَاتَٮٰكُم مِّن ڪُلِّ مَا سَأَلۡتُمُوهُ*ۚ وَإِن تَعُدُّواْ نِعۡمَتَ ٱللَّهِ لَا تُحۡصُوهَآ*ۗ إِنَّ ٱلۡإِنسَـٰنَ لَظَلُومٌ۬ ڪَفَّارٌ۬
(14:34) Yusuf Ali: And He giveth you of all that ye ask for. But if ye count the favours of Allah never will ye be able to number them: verily, man is given up to injustice and ingratitude.

I preferred the way Pickthal translated the middle verse more than Yusuf Ali. :D

Last edited:

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Salam all,

Of course every verse in the Quran carries with it a message and a meaning. Subhanallah most of the verses mentioned above came to my mind when I read Odion's OP before reading your posts dear fellows, but this won't prevent me from participating in top three :D

"...not so the Lord and Cherisher of the Worlds; Who created me, and it is He Who guides me; Who gives me food and drink, And when I am ill, it is He Who cures me; Who will cause me to die, and then to life (again); And who, I hope, will forgive me my faults on the day of Judgment. O my Lord! bestow wisdom on me, and join me with the righteous; Grant me honourable mention on the tongue of truth among the latest (generations); Make me one of the inheritors of the Garden of Bliss"
(26:77-85)

"Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity, or in adversity; who restrain anger, and pardon (all) men;- for Allah loves those who do good; And those who, having done something to be ashamed of, or wronged their own souls, earnestly bring Allah to mind, and ask for forgiveness for their sins,- and who can forgive sins except Allah.- and are never obstinate in persisting knowingly in (the wrong) they have done. For such the reward is forgiveness from their Lord, and Gardens with rivers flowing underneath,- an eternal dwelling: How excellent a recompense for those who work (and strive)!" (3:134-136)

"Who is better in speech than one who calls (men) to Allah, works righteousness, and says, "I am of those who bow in Islam"? Nor can goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: Then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate! And no one will be granted such goodness except those who exercise patience and self-restraint,- none but persons of the greatest good fortune." (41: 33-35)

One remark here is that reciting and reading the Quran in Arabic has more power and effects than reading its translation, for the original text goes deeply and touches the heart since it is the word of Allah as it was revealed from Him. Alhamdulillah! :)

Last edited:

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
I'm not yet a Muslim. But soon.
If no-one minds I'd like to post one verse that really touched me
Quote:
25:63 And the servants of (Allah) Most Gracious are those who walk on the earth in humility, and when the ignorant address them, they say, "Peace!"; WaAAibadu alrrahmaniallatheena yamshoona AAala al-ardi hawnanwa-itha khatabahumu aljahiloona qaloosalaman
25_63.gif

I also like this verse and what comes after it till the end. When a verse touches me deeply I learn it by heart and start reciting it while praying so as not to forget it. The same thing I did with this verse and the verses that come after it till the end of the chapter :)

"And the servants of ((Allah)) Most Gracious are those who walk on the earth in humility, and when the ignorant address them, they say, "Peace!"; Those who spend the night in adoration of their Lord prostrate and standing; Those who say, "Our Lord! avert from us the Wrath of Hell, for its Wrath is indeed an affliction grievous,- Evil indeed is it as an abode, and as a place to rest in"; Those who, when they spend, are not extravagant and not niggardly, but hold a just (balance) between those (extremes); Those who invoke not, with Allah, any other god, nor slay such life as Allah has made sacred except for just cause, nor commit fornication; - and any that does this (not only) meets punishment.
(But) the Penalty on the Day of Judgment will be doubled to him, and he will dwell therein in ignominy,- Unless he repents, believes, and works righteous deeds, for Allah will change the evil of such persons into good, and Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful, And whoever repents and does good has truly turned to Allah with an (acceptable) conversion;-
Those who witness no falsehood, and, if they pass by futility, they pass by it with honourable (avoidance); Those who, when they are admonished with the Signs of their Lord, droop not down at them as if they were deaf or blind; And those who pray, "Our Lord! Grant unto us wives and offspring who will be the comfort of our eyes, and give us (the grace) to lead the righteous.Those are the ones who will be rewarded with the highest place in heaven, because of their patient constancy: therein shall they be met with salutations and peace, Dwelling therein;- how beautiful an abode and place of rest! Say (to the Rejecters): "My Lord is not uneasy because of you if ye call not on Him: But ye have indeed rejected (Him), and soon will come the inevitable (punishment)!" (25: 63-77)

Fatihah

My favorite verse? I almost forgot. Silly me. I use it all the time. The verse of all verses. The verse that establishes the truth of the authority of Allah. How could I forget this:

"And if you are in doubt as to what We have sent down to Our servant, then produce a chapter like it, and call upon your helpers beside Allah, if you are truthful".
Ch.2:23

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
255. Allâh! Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter . And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursîextends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great. [This Verse 2:255 is called Ayat-ul-Kursî.]

256. There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in Tâghûtand believes in Allâh, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And Allâh is All-Hearer, All-Knower.

257. Allâh is the Walî (Protector or Guardian) of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness into light. But as for those who disbelieve, their Auliyâ (supporters and helpers) are Tâghût [false deities and false leaders, etc.], they bring them out from light into darkness. Those are the dwellers of the Fire, and they will abide therein forever.

I love these three together. The English does this no justice. In Arabic these are three of the most powerfull verses to read and recite. I have so many others I love though. I be back to post another top three. That'd be top six though wouldn't it?

Sahar

Thanks Odion for starting this thread!
The verses are very touching.

1. I adore God's mercy and compassion with Moses's mother although the hard test she went through:
"But there came to be a void in the heart of the mother of Moses: She was going almost to disclose his (case), had We not strengthened her heart (with faith), so that she might remain a (firm) believer.......

Then:
Thus did We restore him to his mother, that her eye might be comforted, that she might not grieve, and that she might know that the promise of Allah is true: but most of them do not understand." Al Qasas:13
This is so delicate.

Also His compassion and gentleness with lady Mariam:
And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm-tree: She cried (in her anguish): "Ah! would that I had died before this! would that I had been a thing forgotten and out of sight!"
But (a voice) cried to her from beneath the (palm-tree): "Grieve not! for thy Lord hath provided a rivulet beneath thee;
"And shake towards thyself the trunk of the palm-tree: It will let fall fresh ripe dates upon thee.
"So eat and drink and cool (thine) eye. And if thou dost see any man, say, 'I have vowed a fast to ((Allah)) Most Gracious, and this day will I enter into not talk with any human being'"Mariam: 23-26

How Allah is merciful with us even in our hardships.

3. "O you who have believed, fear Allāh and believe in His Messenger; He will [then] give you a double portion of His mercy and make for you a light by which you will walk and forgive you; and Allāh is Forgiving and Merciful." Al-Hadeed: 28

The word light in the Qur'an is so powerful to me. The entire verse is so beautiful.

Last edited:

Sahar

Prophet Yusuf's supplication:
...O Thou Creator of the heavens and the earth! Thou art my Protector in this world and in the Hereafter. Take Thou my soul (at death) as one submitting to Thy will (as a Muslim), and unite me with the righteous.
Yusuf: 101

al mu'mineen

es-selamu alaykum to all

[96:6] Indeed, the human transgresses.
[96:7] When he becomes rich.

94:5. So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief:
94:6. Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.

2:286. On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray) "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden Like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; Help us against those who stand against faith."

4:79. Whatever good, (O man!) happens to thee, is from Allah. but whatever evil happens to thee, is from thy (own) soul. and We have sent thee as an apostle to (instruct) mankind. And enough is Allah for a witness.

all the other verses are very beautifull too, i could almost remember them from the top of my head.