• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear God or Trust God?

Fear God or Trust God

• Total voters

soma

John Kuykendall
I think the choices you have made is the way you view yourself. You love or trust yourself to make the right choices and if you fear God you are afraid of the bad choices your have or will make.

Love your neighbor as yourself. If you don't love your neighbor you don't love yourself and vice a verse a.

With that said I chose Love.

Radar

I think the existance of a god is unknowable, therefore I choose not to trust, fear, or even believe in any god.

Popeyesays

This question is yet another manifestation of the question of "Free Will" Man has capacity for understanding therefore He is expected to choose.
"SAY, verily God hath caused all created things to enter beneath the shade of the tree of affirmation, except those who are endowed with the faculty of understanding. Theirs is the choice either to believe in God their Lord, and put their whole trust in Him, or to shut themselves out from Him and refuse to believe with certitude in His signs. These two groups sail upon two seas: the sea of affirmation and the sea of negation."
(The Bab, Selections from the Writings of the Bab, p. 146)

Regards,
Scott

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
soma said:
I think the choices you have made is the way you view yourself. You love or trust yourself to make the right choices and if you fear God you are afraid of the bad choices your have or will make.

Love your neighbor as yourself. If you don't love your neighbor you don't love yourself and vice a verse a.
Not entirely true for everyone.... in my case, I don't fear God for the consequences of the bad choices I make and will make. After all, I am learning to trust Him to keep on forgiving me and forgiving me. My "fear" is as someone already described - to stand (or bow down) in awe of His power. It's also to stand in reverence of His mercy and capacity to forgive a complete failure like me, even though I deserve to burn in hell for all the sins I have committed and no matter how hard I try, will commit in the future.

It's amazing to me not only the power He has to part waters or stir up a hurricane, but also to create an Earth that's just the right distance from the sun to support life. With just the right tilt on it's axis and just the right speed of rotation and just the right atmosphere to provide a climate that's survivable. Not to mention the creatures that live on this Earth and depend on each other to survive (i.e. the "food chain" and the many symbiotic and parasitic relationships that occur) - that can breath the air and use the Oxygen and produce the carbon dioxide to help out the plants that in turn use it along with little proton particles from the sun to produce the oxygen needed for us air breathers to survive. Then there's the creatures that live in the water.... they too need Oxygen to live and have been made to be able to use the little amount available in the water. I just cannot fathom that this all came about by some random even a gazillion (or whatever) years ago.... and that's after all the classes I had to take to get my Biological Sciences degree! The more I studied the less I could believe there is no God :p

After some of the "impossible" miracles I've seen, I am learning to trust Him. As for how I view myself.... well... my user name says it all..... No matter how hard I try to make the "right" choices, it seems I fail a lot.

As for loving my neighbor as myself... if I did that, I would be hateful of my neighbors. Instead, I *try* to love my neighbors as God loves me. Again, I fall far, far short... but I do try to at least help out where I can :eek:

A

angellous_evangellous

cardero said:
You cannot see the people on religious forums yet you have developed many friends and trustworthy relationships. You will not have the same relationship with GOD as you have with other humans but your methods of approach and procedures of engaging a connection should practically remain the same.
I can't send an email to God. The RF can't be explained as a figment of my imagination. It exists in the physical world, and God is divine.

soma

John Kuykendall
Stewpid, You are not a loser. You put yourself down, but not others that makes you a winner in my book. So many Jesus Freaks wage war on others, but you have a kind, gentle nature. The light in Christ consciousness burns away all excess baggage, we just have to forget about it.

soma

John Kuykendall
Why fear God if he is loving? I think the people who preach fear are not balanced so fear is all they know. People who are close to God radiate joy and love. I guess we can choose who to be close to and who to fear. If we want to be happy I would say follow joy and love, if we want to be dominated follow fear.

jonny

soma said:
Why fear God if he is loving? I think the people who preach fear are not balanced so fear is all they know. People who are close to God radiate joy and love. I guess we can choose who to be close to and who to fear. If we want to be happy I would say follow joy and love, if we want to be dominated follow fear.
I don't think that the term "fear God" means that we should actually be afraid of him. I think it means that we should care more about what he thinks about us and less about what others think of us.

syoonsh

I would say FEAR GOD= VENGEFUL GOD, TRUST GOD=LOVING GOD

Christians are taught that GOD decides who goes to heaven and hell, so CHRISTIAN GOD must be FEAR GOD, a vengeful GOD, but in the meanwhile, what if GOD is more of LOVING , Loves every human being, not only Christians?;.....

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
syoonsh said:
I would say FEAR GOD= VENGEFUL GOD, TRUST GOD=LOVING GOD

Christians are taught that GOD decides who goes to heaven and hell, so CHRISTIAN GOD must be FEAR GOD, a vengeful GOD, but in the meanwhile, what if GOD is more of LOVING , Loves every human being, not only Christians?;.....
Not to change the subject, but what on earth is "JSD.or.kr"?