• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fellowship or Ministry?

challupa

Currently our church is a fellowship that has hired a consulting minister to try and helps us grow. Making the transition from a Family Size church to a Pastorial Size. See this document for more info on the four UU church sizes and types.

http://www.uua.org/documents/congservices/sizetransitions.pdf

It has been a very trying time because there are many who wish to remain a family church and not move to a Minister lead pastorial church. There's been lots of politics and such but I've decided that it's just part and parcel to being human.

As to your church's questionaire tactic. Strange, but people do strange things. The more I'm around UUs the more I think there is no single aspect to the church that is common to them all.
Thanks for your post Trey. You are the first I heard of that is a fellowship. One of the people in the UU group spoke of a fellowship UU group in Houston and he spoke very highly of it and felt the group here should do that. The money issues would be solved if they did go to a fellowship. However, it sounds like you're in the midst of changing that. Also, others that have responded seem to value their minister as a source of guidance and seem to prefer that over a fellowship church. I think a bit of both could be the answer. What I mean by that is that for the most part, a church could be a fellowship church and occasionally have a minister come for a month or more to add more insight or guidance. That way the church would need to have the expense of a full time minister. I don't know. Looks like you're in for interesting times just like us.

Trey of Diamonds

Actually no, what do they say?

From May you live in interesting times

May you live in interesting times

Meaning
May you experience much upheaval and trouble in your life. The clear implication being that 'uninteresting times', of peace and tranquility, are more life-enhancing.

Origin
While purporting to be a blessing, this is in fact a curse. It is widely reported as being of ancient Chinese origin, but is likely to be of recent and western origin, although it seems to be intended to sound Chinese, in the 'Confucious he say' mould.

challupa

From May you live in interesting times

May you live in interesting times

Meaning
May you experience much upheaval and trouble in your life. The clear implication being that 'uninteresting times', of peace and tranquility, are more life-enhancing.

Origin
While purporting to be a blessing, this is in fact a curse. It is widely reported as being of ancient Chinese origin, but is likely to be of recent and western origin, although it seems to be intended to sound Chinese, in the 'Confucious he say' mould.
Okay, thanks. I had heard the saying before but was not sure how it was meant. I always took interesting times to be a good thing. Challenges being the spice of life. Guess it all boils down on one's perspective!:)

applewuud

.... ...I think a bit of both could be the answer. What I mean by that is that for the most part, a church could be a fellowship church and occasionally have a minister come for a month or more to add more insight or guidance. That way the church would need to have the expense of a full time minister. I don't know. Looks like you're in for interesting times just like us.

UU groups can have "pulpit supply", where a different minister comes every week simply to preach, and doesn't get involved in the church politics at all. Others (including mine) have part-time ministry, where the minister is under contract, preaches 1 or 2 times per month, attending some meetings, and giving pastoral care. The other Sundays in the month are handled by supply ministers, or by the laity.

However, there aren't many ministers who are willing to be involved as a consultant on a short-term basis of less than a year. They have to make a living as well, and it's hard to get involved at a deep level unless you're willing to move to the town the church is in. Members of the UU Ministers' Association have a considerable investment in training and internship, and good ones look for a group who's willing to work with them long enough for the relationship to be productive.

challupa

UU groups can have "pulpit supply", where a different minister comes every week simply to preach, and doesn't get involved in the church politics at all. Others (including mine) have part-time ministry, where the minister is under contract, preaches 1 or 2 times per month, attending some meetings, and giving pastoral care. The other Sundays in the month are handled by supply ministers, or by the laity.

However, there aren't many ministers who are willing to be involved as a consultant on a short-term basis of less than a year. They have to make a living as well, and it's hard to get involved at a deep level unless you're willing to move to the town the church is in. Members of the UU Ministers' Association have a considerable investment in training and internship, and good ones look for a group who's willing to work with them long enough for the relationship to be productive.
Yes I see how that would be an issue for ministers. I think if I was a minister I would want the same people for quite awhile, to bond, and feel comfortable. On the other hand if people are willing to have a supply minister, that can sometimes be the answer for those churches that don't have a lot of money.