• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Femininity & possible approximations of the female headspace

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh. I thought you were making a joke about how on Mobile, my thread read "Femininity & Possible..." and the next thread read "Police state".

Nope. But I think that's how I ended up dumping my comment for one thread into the other. Sorry on any confusion caused!!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
If you go and declare yourself a police state, there are several actual police states that might complain about cultural appropriation...
Wrong thread. This was meant for the police state thread...!!!
It's still an interesting point in this context. I really don't see transgender people culturally appropriating masculinity or femininity, but an argument can certainly be made regarding it. Counterarguments can be made as well.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It's still an interesting point in this context. I really don't see transgender people culturally appropriating masculinity or femininity, but an argument can certainly be made regarding it. Counterarguments can be made as well.

In general terms I think cultural appropriation is levelled as an accusation too often, so I don't think I'd be accusing anyone of that here. Specifically in this case, I would want to acknowledge the diversity (and minefield) that is 'masculine' behaviour, even if we limit it to cis males.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I've seen it made, next to the claim that somehow people are also appropriating the things of social classes they don't belong to and that's a problem. Ok...what the hell is class attire?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I've seen it made, next to the claim that somehow people are also appropriating the things of social classes they don't belong to and that's a problem. Ok...what the hell is class attire?

In England, though probably more historically than currently, different classes could be distinguished by dress. It was not only what you wear, but in what circumstances. The upper classes used it to keep "them" away from "us". They were taught that a certain attire was appropriate for, say a formal dinner and we plebs would fail the test because we hadn't been taught it. I have a sneaking suspicion also that the whole nonsense about which knife and fork to use with which food was part of the same cultural barrier. And don't get me started on accents!

Shadow Wolf

In England, though probably more historically than currently, different classes could be distinguished by dress. It was not only what you wear, but in what circumstances. The upper classes used it to keep "them" away from "us". They were taught that a certain attire was appropriate for, say a formal dinner and we plebs would fail the test because we hadn't been taught it. I have a sneaking suspicion also that the whole nonsense about which knife and fork to use with which food was part of the same cultural barrier. And don't get me started on accents!
Yeah, but that was how long ago? Why is a modern author mentioning such a rigid expectation?
And, definitely agree eating utensil rules (and dishes, there placement, napkin rules and all that) are absurd, and probably, I very much agree, a thing of rigid class division and highlighting differences in world views to have an extra layer to identify outsiders.
Accents I find interesting, largely because I was so miserable in Indiana I that I achieved losing the Hoosier accent while I still lived in Indiana so I could erase that connection to it, which left me wondering how common it is for an individual to realize accent too is a form of identity.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Yeah, but that was how long ago?

A while, but if you think it's gone away try eating in a posh restaurant in a (clean) T-shirt and torn jeans.

Why is a modern author mentioning such a rigid expectation?

I'm not sure what the reference is. Maybe I didn't read something.

And, definitely agree eating utensil rules (and dishes, there placement, napkin rules and all that) are absurd, and probably, I very much agree, a thing of rigid class division and highlighting differences in world views to have an extra layer to identify outsiders.
Accents I find interesting, largely because I was so miserable in Indiana I that I achieved losing the Hoosier accent while I still lived in Indiana so I could erase that connection to it, which left me wondering how common it is for an individual to realize accent too is a form of identity.

Accent is everything in England. Not so much in the USA I would think, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shadow Wolf

Accent is everything in England. Not so much in the USA I would think, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
It's weird in America. For most America a Southern accent is singled out, and most Americans will assume a Southern accent means the person is a country bumpkin.
With me, people are obsessed with trying to figure out where I'm from, with some insisting I have a Hoosier accent even though Hoosiers wonder where I'm from.
A while, but if you think it's gone away try eating in a posh restaurant in a (clean) T-shirt and torn jeans.
Not entirely gone away, but such things have waned tremendously, or at least in America.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
I remember before I started on estrogen I did believe I had no more tears to cry. And now, sadness, anger, being scared and even feeling overwhelmed can make me cry.

Yep... its crazy! Honestly, I don't miss the angry/frustrated/anxious tears. Although I do miss the release of a good cry when I'm sad. Actual tears definitely help shed the weight and not being able to cry anymore makes that difficult :(

Shadow Wolf

When I went to school in the '70s, we learned that the English language had different words depending on the class. Plebs used bikes, the upper class rode cycles.
We had more counter culture then driving a lot of the lingo, with degrees of what you mentioned but it just doesn't seem to be as present here.

Shadow Wolf

Yep... its crazy! Honestly, I don't miss the angry/frustrated/anxious tears. Although I do miss the release of a good cry when I'm sad. Actual tears definitely help shed the weight and not being able to cry anymore makes that difficult :(
Sad crying does feel nice. Tears of joy are wonderful. But it's something I really don't like, when I need to keep my head level and thoughts straight, but the girl juice has my mind wanting to freak out, in ways that just did not happen before I got on hormone treatment. And then I learned emotions can be a lot of things, all at once, and they can really dig in.