• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feminism and Makeup/Fashion

TurkeyOnRye

Oh for sure. No one should be expected to wear makeup or even subscribe to fashion trends. I was anti anything considered remotely girly for a while and I go through stages where I don't wear makeup because I don't feel like it. I like having a naked face sometimes.

I find naked faces very attractive.

Guys are starting to wear makeup too. Apparently guys wearing foundation has become sort of a "thing." I've considered doing it in fact. It is partially encouraged by makeup companies realizing there's a huge untapped market that is just waiting to become a profitable venture.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I'm pro-choice, of course, but I do sometimes wonder if the motives behind wearing make-up are truly feminist, Or if they're simply another way to please others and therefore train women to want to please others.
It's something that pleases me. Granted I'm not coming from the typical background, but, nevertheless, it's something I like doing. One of my friends, it's a way for her to have fun matching her eye shadow with different accessories and shirts, and blending and shading different colors. She also enjoys the compliments she gets from it.
When I became an adult, the issue of choice was pretty much settled, there were still those who disliked it but by and large, only whackos were protesting against it and it seemed like whichever side of that issue you fell on, you knew that only whackos protested, and no one would have dared make comments what medications you were taking and for what purpose. That's not the kind of world I will launch my daughter into.
It may have been mostly through my parents, but I remember when I was very young things were much more rigid. It seems like just yesterday people started openly admiting being in therapy and on whatever drugs.
It should be the duty of feminism to strike down the obligation of wearing make-up or adhering to fashion rules. If a feminist group says we shouldn't wear makeup or dress a certain way, they're just as bad as the media that tells us we should.
I think it should be the duty of everyone to strike down all (very few exceptions) obligatory fashion rules.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I find naked faces very attractive.

Guys are starting to wear makeup too. Apparently guys wearing foundation has become sort of a "thing." I've considered doing it in fact. It is partially encouraged by makeup companies realizing there's a huge untapped market that is just waiting to become a profitable venture.

I think that guys should be able to use make up and wear womens clothing as far as I am concerned. I mean...women wear pants so its not really that big of a deal for me.

Marisa

It may have been mostly through my parents, but I remember when I was very young things were much more rigid. It seems like just yesterday people started openly admiting being in therapy and on whatever drugs.

It's getting better, but mental health is still very stigmatized. I work in a psychology office and am married to an active duty soldier. the military is kind of unique where mental health is concerned because the boys and girls get to play with loaded firearms, drop bombs, fly/drive million dollar plus pieces of equipment. Certain mental health ratings should take you out of the game. Still, the military itself is reluctant to hand out PTSD diagnoses to soldiers who have been in and out of combat zones multiple times, and by multiple I know people who have been deployed to a war zone close to 10 times. That's not to say that going to a war zone should be an automatic diagnosis, however. Where it's own equipment is concerned, the military makes active duty soldiers go through it's own health care system, and many are afraid that seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist will get up their chain (which it will, it's just how the military works) and cause them to lose their job or be medically discharged. The military itself says this won't happen, but if you've got a guy you can't deploy or allow to hold a gun, what else can be done with him?

TurkeyOnRye

I think that guys should be able to use make up and wear womens clothing as far as I am concerned. I mean...women wear pants so its not really that big of a deal for me.

That actually brings up a very serious issue, particularly for transgender individuals, for whom it is a daily issue. That issue is the risk of violence or death. I live in a pretty progressive city, so I don't think it would be nearly as big of a risk as in other areas. However, if I want to have fun and cross-dress with my best friend, I do have a serious concern that I'd be taunted.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
That actually brings up a very serious issue, particularly for transgender individuals, for whom it is a daily issue. That issue is the risk of violence or death. I live in a pretty progressive city, so I don't think it would be nearly as big of a risk as in other areas. However, if I want to have fun and cross-dress with my best friend, I do have a serious concern that I'd be taunted.

I was in a grocery store once with my sister when a man in a dress, heels and makeup walked by. I noticed him but did not pay much attention. My sister almost instantly whispered "Did you see that guy? He was in a dress". I guess she thought it could be something to laugh about but I felt completely neutral so I just said "So? Why can't he wear a dress?" and she back peddled.

Shadow Wolf

I was in a grocery store once with my sister when a man in a dress, heels and makeup walked by. I noticed him but did not pay much attention. My sister almost instantly whispered "Did you see that guy? He was in a dress". I guess she thought it could be something to laugh about but I felt completely neutral so I just said "So? Why can't he wear a dress?" and she back peddled.
The last fast food job I had, a trucker stopped by, and my coworkers were laughing at the "man in a dress." Even trying to explain to them it's no big deal, I don't care, and why should they care, they still made it into a joke.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
The last fast food job I had, a trucker stopped by, and my coworkers were laughing at the "man in a dress." Even trying to explain to them it's no big deal, I don't care, and why should they care, they still made it into a joke.

I seriously do not understand why it is supposed to be funny.

Shadow Wolf

I seriously do not understand why it is supposed to be funny.
I don't either. But nearly everyone I worked with there were so pathetic they had to do whatever they could to try and make themselves look better. I don't know how it happened exactly, other than very poor management, but all but three of us who worked there fulfilled the right-wing stereotype of "lazy and unmotivated" minimum wage workers.
But, as to why they thought it was funny, I don't know. I also worked with some people at a truck stop/convenience store who thought it was funny when a trucker came in wearing women's clothing.
I don't get what's supposed to be funny about it either.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But, as to why they thought it was funny, I don't know. I also worked with some people at a truck stop/convenience store who thought it was funny when a trucker came in wearing women's clothing.
I don't get what's supposed to be funny about it either.

I always just wrote it off as childish behaviour, but my daughter almost literally ran into a man wearing a dress the other day. Whilst she found it unusual, she didn't see it as funny or scary. Just unusual.
So I'm forced to think it's not childish. It's learnt.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I always just wrote it off as childish behaviour, but my daughter almost literally ran into a man wearing a dress the other day. Whilst she found it unusual, she didn't see it as funny or scary. Just unusual.
So I'm forced to think it's not childish. It's learnt.

Either that, or you just have a great kid!

Nic.Doyle

What are your thoughts on feminists who like to wear makeup and like fashion (not necessarily mainstream)

This topic came up on a podcast I listen to which has a strong feminist flavour to it called Stuff your mom never told you. They were talking about the relationship through history with feminism and these industries and how people react to it today.

If you do wear makeup and have a certain style, do you feel you are looked down on by other feminists? What if you are anti makeup and fashion? Do you tell people they shouldnt buy into it?

I am really curious to see the responses here.

For the record - I wear makeup and I guess I am into fashion in a certain sense. I have my own style but I can be inspired by other peoples trends and "beauty habits". I wear stuff because I like it or because I think it looks cool. The only time I ever dress to impress is when I go on a date with my girlfriend. I am also very ecclectic in my tastes.

To me, telling a feminist that she shouldn't wear makeup or want to be stylish is a type of **** shaming.

I like to dress up and wear nice clothes. I like adding a touch of makeup. I don't normally wear makeup because I'm allergic to most. I also have purple hair that ends at the bottom of my rib cage. I don't care what others think of my looks. I do it for my happiness. It's a good thing my hubby likes it otherwise things might get awkward.

Curious George

Veteran Member
What are your thoughts on feminists who like to wear makeup and like fashion (not necessarily mainstream)

This topic came up on a podcast I listen to which has a strong feminist flavour to it called Stuff your mom never told you. They were talking about the relationship through history with feminism and these industries and how people react to it today.

If you do wear makeup and have a certain style, do you feel you are looked down on by other feminists? What if you are anti makeup and fashion? Do you tell people they shouldnt buy into it?

I am really curious to see the responses here.

For the record - I wear makeup and I guess I am into fashion in a certain sense. I have my own style but I can be inspired by other peoples trends and "beauty habits". I wear stuff because I like it or because I think it looks cool. The only time I ever dress to impress is when I go on a date with my girlfriend. I am also very ecclectic in my tastes.
Well there is little wrong in just wanting to look nice. And while I am not aware of meeting feminists who look down on women for wearing make-up, I think part of critical thought involves critical analysis of our chosen behaviors.

While some men do wear make-up and doing so is acceptable, why in our society do we consider a woman more-so dressed to the nines, when she has make-up. Why do we have an expectation that women know (or should know) how to put on make up, when we do not have similar expectations of men? What does it say about our culture that so many women wear make-up, while so few men wear make-up.

I think within feminism many of the "feminist look and act like this" stereotypes (or requirements) have been broken down.

I certainly think that it is hard to escape a discussion about makeup and fashion without also having a discussion about sex.

While some may suggest these objectify women by placing emphasis on the body, I also see an argument that makeup and fashion allow women to own their sexual-ness. Part of women are are sexual beings, and highlighting these aspects is owning that part of oneself.

I think early attempts to counter the objectification of women were targeted at certain fashion items and makeup, but this while well intended, was really a band-aid fix. The culprit is not sexualization but the attitude that women are sexual objects for men. While the reverse was not true.

I do not think we are likely to get past seeing each other sexually. This is far too instinctive. But, that men looking upon women with desire is acceptable, while the reverse is less acceptable is the root of the problem. That women are expected to highlight themselves while men are expected to dignify themselves speaks volumes.

How much of what we find appealing is ingrained by culture? Why are different aspects emphasized for men and women? What does this incongruity say about our culture?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm neutral on it. Live and let live. Personally, I usually don't wear make up.

For my beauty regime, I invest more in exfoliants, moisturizers, sunscreen, and that sort of thing to try to optimize natural appearance. And healthy eating and exercise.

There are certain aspects that I think are problematic. Products that are tested on animals or that are bad for the skin/hair/nails for the sake of beauty, are not what I consider to be particularly good things. That's not much of a feminist thing; it's more about ethical treatment of animals and healthy living. And I feel bad for women that don't feel comfortable going out of the house without makeup on every single day. That just seems exhausting. For some people, makeup is a positive thing. They enjoy enhancing and changing their look. But if people feel obligated to wear it, or feel ugly or too plain without it, then I think there's a deeper issue there.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I'm neutral on it. Live and let live. Personally, I usually don't wear make up.

For my beauty regime, I invest more in exfoliants, moisturizers, sunscreen, and that sort of thing to try to optimize natural appearance. And healthy eating and exercise.

There are certain aspects that I think are problematic. Products that are tested on animals or that are bad for the skin/hair/nails for the sake of beauty, are not what I consider to be particularly good things. That's not much of a feminist thing; it's more about ethical treatment of animals and healthy living. And I feel bad for women that don't feel comfortable going out of the house without makeup on every single day. That just seems exhausting. For some people, makeup is a positive thing. They enjoy enhancing and changing their look. But if people feel obligated to wear it, or feel ugly or too plain without it, then I think there's a deeper issue there.

I avoid brands that test on animals but its not always possible, espeically when it comes to hair products. I am confident that if China changed their policies, it would not happen anymore.

As for makeup - I literally have given up on foundation, concealer and all that stuff. I just dont like how it looks and feels. Plus pimple creating.

I now stick to stuff for ze eyelids, eyebrows and lip balm.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I sometimes get the feeling that the beauty industry literally has women (and many men) by the short and curlies. If you want a good example of objectification read a beauty magazine.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There are good reasons and bad reasons people dress up. I guess that makeup is neither feminist nor non feminist. It all depends.