• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally set up shrine … finally!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
We moved on June 14, but it was today August 31 that I finally set up my shrine. I was truly missing my shrine and doing puja and arati.

My table was already in the corner of the living room I chose, so that was the first step. It’s 288 degrees WNW. That’s almost fully due West. You know I’m a bit obsessive-compulsive in that regard.

I did a puja and arati. I went onto the deck to cut some flowers from the plants we’re growing. I’ll buy some real bunches, as I usually do, after work tomorrow. All this time I’ve been running pujas in my head but it’s not the same. It felt good to do a regular puja.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
I did a puja and arati. I went onto the deck to cut some flowers from the plants we’re growing. I’ll buy some real bunches, as I usually do, after work tomorrow. All this time I’ve been running pujas in my head but it’s not the same. It felt good to do a regular puja.

I’m happy for you, Frank! :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. :) I tried to upload a pic of the shrine corner but I get message that the pic is too big. :shrug:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah there we go!

IMG_3217.jpeg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
This is very nice, Jai, and it fulfills your desire. I noticed your post but then forgot to comment immediately on it, as I was busy in my computer experiments (it is now about antiX-core installation). You have many idols (we too have many).
Along with fresh flowers, here we beautify the niche with LED lights, bright decorative cloth, sandalwood chip garlands, etc.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This is very nice, Jai, and it fulfills your desire. I noticed your post but then forgot to comment immediately on it, as I was busy in my computer experiments (it is now about antiX-core installation). You have many idols (we too have many).
Along with fresh flowers, here we beautify the niche with LED lights, bright decorative cloth, sandalwood chip garlands, etc.
Thanks! Aw no worries about delayed response. Everyone's so busy nowadays. I have even more statues that are currently still packed. I may put up shelves for them that will be objets 'art, not worship.

The murtis I have on the altar reflect those deities I feel close to:
Vishnu and His avatars, especially Krishna, my ishta-devata;
Lakshmi (She's been keeping us financially afloat and sending help from individuals and organizations);
Saraswati (She's helping me play guitar and bass better, and learn music better);
Hanuman, keeing my physical and mental strength up when I've wanted to give up ... and I do mean really give up :cry:;
Shiva, tiny black jade Linga, Nataraja (I always loved it, Durga/Parvati, and family: Ganesha, Murugan. They just help with everything.

I wanted to scale it down but my husband forbade that. He said it's too pretty. He wants to learn some prayers. I told him being Catholic he's not supposed to specifically mention a deity's name, but we have generalized prayers and hymns that reference "God" (ekam sadviprah ... and all that). It's not like he'll get struck by lightning. He'll have a problem with Sanskrit, so I told him people do their prayers in their native language. I'll just translate them. God is beyond anything human.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's My Birthday!
@Jainarayan, we term these decorations as 'bandanvar' in Hindi. We use them on auspicious occasions. It will took nice. Something stepped up so that the idols can be placed at different levels can be seen more clearly, with perhaps a wooden lattice on both sides to help you concentrate. Do that, in your own time, if it is possible.

TLEP2772A-4.jpg

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
@Jainarayan, we term these decorations as 'bandanvar' in Hindi. We use them on auspicious occasions. It will took nice. Something stepped up so that the idols can be placed at different levels can be seen more clearly, with perhaps a wooden lattice on both sides to help you concentrate. Do that, in your own time, if it is possible.

TLEP2772A-4.jpg
That is beautiful! I love the different levels design. I'm actually going to do that for the current altar. The picture I posted isn't a good quality and may not show that I have two rows of statues.They're not in any order of "importance", except that Sri Krishna is center and elevated a bit more. The arrangement is just a matter of aesthetics and visibility. I need to go to one of our home improvement stores for a couple of 2"hx6"wx36"l pieces of wood to make two levels. I'll cover the plain bare wood with fabric. I think it will be pretty.