• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five Reasons to Reject Belief in Gods

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Thanks for your comments, Judge.

design for the brain came from the bible
Sorry, but I have no reason to believe that.

see the website called ... Artificial Intelligence From the Bible
Computers were invented well after the Bible was written, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope for that web site.

how's that for external influence ?
I think that you have to come to these suggestions with a preconceived faith in your religion. Since I lack that, the suggestions have no force with me.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
If that is your perception, then you should feel you've made your point. It isn't my perception.

This is just false. It doesn't matter how well I answer your questions, you simply claim that you aren't satisfied and I haven't answered them. In fact, you imagine that your assumption of a "radio receiver" brain is something that I need to disprove. You ask how I could make the idea of a putative neural "diode" work. How could I disprove its existence? Well, I don't have to. You are the one with the burden of showing that it plays some functional role in consciousness. You have not done that. The brain appears to work without any need of external input. Sorry if I cannot satisfy your demand that I fill in the exact details of how your gratuitous assumption works and then prove that it can't work. My position is that you are the one who needs to get off his duff and do his own homework. Start doing a little research into what neuroscientists (who know a little more about the subject than you) are doing and how that supports the possibility of a "radio receiver" analogy for human consciousness. Good luck with it. My reading of the subject matter--which has included a few graduate seminars--suggests that there is no evidence whatsoever to back up your assumption.

Actually, I am refusing to help you defend your gratuitous assumption. My argument has been that--given Occam's Razor--one can dismiss such assumptions as implausible, albeit logical, possibilities. I do not need to prove it false. You need to make it plausible.

I'm happy to ask the question again: Where did I say anything like "HAHAHA, I know more about this than you do so take my word for it, you're wrong (so I win)"? You never answered the question, but the invitation remains if you want to take it up.

Stop distorting what I said. I made a distinction between "absolute proof" and plausibility arguments. This is really disingenous on your part.

You can remedy your ignorance by studying the subject matter. The brain appears to operate independently of any external agencies, i.e. "signals". That is the null hypothesis. You maintain that it is equally plausible that it requires reception of external "signals" of some kind--spiritual, I suppose--in order to manifest consciousness. Fine. That's a reasonable speculation that scientists have been considering before either of us were born. Start looking for some support for your hypothesis. I'm not going to go searching for something that I have failed to find in the past because you are too lazy to defend your own supposition. You can start with the Wikipedia page I cited. It claimed that experimental results had so far failed to turn up any evidence of external influences of the type that you consider plausible.

Sorry Copernicus, I'm not going to reply to any more of your posts until you stop cherry picking quotes from mine and taking them out of context.

You can remedy your ignorance...

Yes, that seems to be the major difference between us. (see why cherry picking is a problem now?)

I'm happy to ask the question again: Where did I say anything like "HAHAHA, I know more about this than you do so take my word for it, you're wrong (so I win)"? You never answered the question, but the invitation remains if you want to take it up.

See this is what I mean about the dishonesty. I'm sure you know as well as I do that I already answered your question in Post #393 If you missed it, go read it again (it's towards the bottom).That's the wonderful thing about the internet, Copernicus, we get to hold people accountable for what they say even if they want to keep denying they said it. By the same token, you can keep accusing me of not saying something, but it's there in print for anyone who wants to go look.

Last edited:

Copernicus

Sorry Copernicus, I'm not going to reply to any more of your posts until you stop cherry picking quotes from mine and taking them out of context.
I feel that I've been responding thoroughly and fairly to your posts. I'm not surprised that you disagree. I'm not seeing a lot of progress in our discussion.

See this is what I mean about the dishonesty. I'm sure you know as well as I do that I already answered your question in Post #393? If you missed it, go read it again (it's towards the bottom).That's the wonderful thing about the internet, Copernicus, we get to hold people accountable for what they say even if they want to keep denying they said it. By the same token, you can keep accusing me of not saying something, but it's there in print for anyone who wants to go look.
Go back and read what I wrote. I did not claim to be smarter than you "Ha, Ha". I said that you were not in a position to make claims about the relationship between the mind and the brain and that there were more knowledgeable folks than you who were. You have admitted to not knowing more than the basics of how the brain works (whatever that means), and I have backed up my point with at least the Wikipedia citation. The people I had in mind when I made that criticism were people who specialize in neuroscience, not myself. I did not actually claim to know more than you, but I have probably studied the subject matter in more detail, based on our conversations. I did not say anything like "I win". What you did was you read what I wrote very carelessly and reworded it in a way that portrayed me as arrogant and unreasonable.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Sorry, but I have no reason to believe that.

Computers were invented well after the Bible was written, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope for that web site.

Which almost certainly means that you're not going to bother to read it.

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about when I say that you seem to be in the habit of taking an assumption, and even though you acknowledge it to be an assumption...
I think that you have to come to these suggestions with a preconceived faith in your religion.

... in your very next sentence, you treat it as an established fact:

Since I lack that, the suggestions have no force with me.

atanu

Premium Member
Hello Copernicus

This may be my last reply to you on this thread, since I see no possibilty that you will ever agree to see that your assumptions are assumptions and in most cases illogical.

The mind is constantly modifying itself. At the level of the neuron, that involves facilitation or inhibition. At a higher level, we have feedback loops. We can form new habits and inhibit old ones.

For you, there is no mind but only structures of brain. Intelligence that emerges from structures cannot change its own structure. That would be effect changing the cause. Is it logical to assume that effects can change their own cause? OTOH, we have ample evidence that man's resolve can change the structures towards better or towards worse.

Moreover, there is an unbridgeable ontological gap in material brain giving birth to non-material intelligence.

Our brains also require an "outside programmer"--inanimate natural forces.

You agree that there is an outside programmer(controller) -- suggesting that we are actually zombies only (which implication you had objected to in an earlier post). It seems to me that without understanding what your assumptions entail you are carrying out your inane arguments against Quagmire's analogy of Radio.

And then you suggest that the external programmer is inanimate. Check your loop of 8. You, as an emergent intelligence, program AI. You, on the other hand, are pre-programmed by inanimate nature. What you say simply means that ability to program is inherent in nature, whether inanimate or animate, and thus existed prior to the arrangement of any specific brain structures.

So, what you say does not contradict our position as below:
  • Intelligence is inherent in nature.
  • Nature is inherent in us.
  • We cannot be outside the nature of universe and neither can the nature of universe be external to us.

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel that I've been responding thoroughly and fairly to your posts. I'm not surprised that you disagree. I'm not seeing a lot of progress in our discussion.

Go back and read what I wrote. I did not claim to be smarter than you "Ha, Ha". I said that you were not in a position to make claims about the relationship between the mind and the brain and that there were more knowledgeable folks than you who were. You have admitted to not knowing more than the basics of how the brain works (whatever that means), and I have backed up my point with at least the Wikipedia citation. The people I had in mind when I made that criticism were people who specialize in neuroscience, not myself. I did not actually claim to know more than you, but I have probably studied the subject matter in more detail, based on our conversations. I did not say anything like "I win". What you did was you read what I wrote very carelessly and reworded it in a way that portrayed me as arrogant and unreasonable.

I see. And how exactly does all this explain why you claimed that I hadn't answered your question when I had?

Last edited:

Judge Roy Bean

I think that you have to come to these suggestions with a preconceived faith in your religion.

its my understanding time is non-linear

not faith in a religion, but a trust in Jesus.

Last edited:

Copernicus

Which almost certainly means that you're not going to bother to read it.
JRB did not actually provide a link, nor did he provide a reason to believe that it would be worth my trouble to bother looking for it. I only have so many heartbeats left in me, so I'm going to be pickier about how I spend them as time goes on. ;)

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about when I say that you seem to be in the habit of taking an assumption, and even though you acknowledge it to be an assumption...
... in your very next sentence, you treat it as an established fact:
Again, you completely distort what I've said. I started this thread with five reasons to conclude that gods did not exist. My lack of faith is not a mere "acknowledgment [of] it to be an assumption". It is a conclusion established by argument.

Copernicus

This may be my last reply to you on this thread, since I see no possibilty that you will ever agree to see that your assumptions are assumptions and in most cases illogical.
I appreciate the comments and feedback, despite our fundamental disagreements.

For you, there is no mind but only structures of brain. Intelligence that emerges from structures cannot change its own structure. That would be effect changing the cause. Is it logical to assume that effects can change their own cause? OTOH, we have ample evidence that man's resolve can change the structures towards better or towards worse.
First of all, I have repeatedly argued that the mind is different from the brain. It is an emergent effect of brain activity. All systems change themselves through the interaction of constituent components, and you might well call a mind the higher order "brain system" created by an operating brain. No system can continue indefinitely, thanks to entropy, and brain systems are no different. Minds begin, mature, and eventually die as does the brain that gives rise to them.

Moreover, there is an unbridgeable ontological gap in material brain giving birth to non-material intelligence.
The concept of "intelligence" is somewhat amorphous, but the bridgeable gap exists if you understand the concept of emergence in complex systems of interacting processes. Self-awareness is completely understandable in terms of the role it plays in keeping the body healthy and long-living. In fact, that is why roboticists are interested in the concept of self-awareness--because of the need to produce autonomous moving machines that can attend to their own needs.

You agree that there is an outside programmer(controller) -- suggesting that we are actually zombies only (which implication you had objected to in an earlier post). It seems to me that without understanding what your assumptions entail you are carrying out your inane arguments against Quagmire's analogy of Radio.
I don't think of Occam's Razor as an "inane argument", but perhaps the exercise of getting into an argument with him was what you were referring to. ;) As for zombies, I do not know what your fascination is with them. The concept has always struck me as a bit silly. Brains decay after death, so you have to actually believe that what animates zombies is the kind of thing you believe in, not me. :)

And then you suggest that the external programmer is inanimate. Check your loop of 8. You, as an emergent intelligence, program AI. You, on the other hand, are pre-programmed by inanimate nature. What you say simply means that ability to program is inherent in nature, whether inanimate or animate, and thus existed prior to the arrangement of any specific brain structures.
Bingo! That is exactly what evolution by natural selection is all about--the "design" of biological entities by inanimate forces. The evidence in favor of evolutionary design is supported by evidence that scientists no longer seriously question, and we can even simulate it in computers to produce designs that humans cannot come up with. We do not have the time to create manufacturing designs that are as complex and sophisticated as those we find in nature, so we can actually speed up simulations of evolution to produce those designs with the aid of computers. It is because the designs are crafted by speeded-up trial-and-error that they emerge as more resilient than the slower "intelligent design" process.

So, what you say does not contradict our position as below:
  • Intelligence is inherent in nature.
  • Nature is inherent in us.
  • We cannot be outside the nature of universe and neither can the nature of universe be external to us.
I would only quibble with your first bullet. Intelligence is found in nature, but it is a rare side effect of natural processes.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
We've got confused on the matter of burden of proof. "Emotion/intelligence/awareness/etc originates outside of the brain" is the positive assertion, because it implies more entities than the opposite.
Actually, the same number of entities.

Judge Roy Bean

I'm not entirely sure what that means, how you came to that understanding, or why that would have a bearing on the reasons I gave for not believing in gods.

Without going into details, I belielve it can be proved that movment (or, more generally, change) cannot be continuous, from point-to-point - that is, space and time are not infinitely divisible (for example Zenon's paradoxes are relevant here) but they are quantified - there are elementary units of time and space which are not divisible any further. Many quantum mechanic physicists would agree with this. The idea is that the process of movement is more like the TV animation - it gives the impression of continuity but it is actually jumps from one static frame to another - no "continuity" at all. There are two consqeqncies of this conclusion (and it seems they were not explored by physicists).

the last static frame could have actually been created first.

like shooting of the last scene of a movie at the begining of filming process.

No professional writer or fimmaker creates in linear order, so why would god?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
But that isn't non-linear time. That just means "time" wasn't assembled in the order it actually links together in. From the inside, the movie still appears in the right order. (Unless you are directing Memento.)

Copernicus

No professional writer or fimmaker creates in linear order, so why would god?
I do not believe in any god, so how could you expect me to guess the behavior or motives of yours? :shrug:

Besides, many believers tell me that God's nature is beyond human understanding--not that that deters them from explaining all sorts of things that they believe about the god(s) they believe in. Your writer's metaphor is a good one, but I think that the author is fiction and we are reality.

Last edited:

Judge Roy Bean

Your writer's metaphor is a good one, but I think that the author is fiction and we are reality.
are you sure?

Thanks, but in Reality, quantum physicsts say, on the sub-atomic level we are all nothing more than vibrations in space-time.

One might say, in Realty we are God's imaginary best friends, Go figure

Last edited:

Judge Roy Bean

But that isn't non-linear time. That just means "time" wasn't assembled in the order it actually links together in. From the inside, the movie still appears in the right order. (Unless you are directing Memento.)

Thats Rights it APPEARS, so...

In Revelation 13: 8, it appears to say, Jesus Christ was crusified before the foundation of the world.

Jesus died on the cross first, then later came the creation of the world.

Last edited:

rusra02

Premium Member
Atheism is rejection of belief in gods, not just the Abrahamic version of God. Most arguments against that version of God focus in logical inconsistencies, but let's just focus on a generic concept of a "god": an intelligent agency that has full power over some aspect of our reality. Here are some of my favorite reasons for rejecting belief in gods:

1. Minds depend on physical brains. Religions depend on belief in souls--essentially minds that can exist independently of bodies. But experience tells us that minds depend on brain activity to function properly.
Not true. The Bible does not teach that the soul exists separate from the body.
  1. Record of failed explanations. Religions have a historical record of making failed explanations of observed natural phenomena. The most powerful argument for gods--the argument from design--has been overturned by the discovery of evolution by natural selection. This pattern of failure has resulted in a pattern of "God of the Gaps" explanations. That is, natural explanations always trump supernatural ones.
Not true. The ToE remains an unproven theory repudiated by the available evidence, and certainly does not explain the evident intelligence in what has been created.
  1. Record of failed revelation. Humans have a record of worshiping false gods. If gods communicated through revelation, we would not expect to see such variety of religious belief in the world. Moreover, we would expect to find the same religious beliefs arising spontaneously in different locations, since the same set of gods (or "God") would presumably contact different people in different locations.
The great variety of false religions and religious practices do not spring from the true God. Rather, they are the inventions of opposers of God. The true God has but one true religion followed world-wide by it's adherents.
  1. Record of failed prayers. No religious group seems to be luckier or healthier than any other. If prayer worked, we would expect to see some people of faith leading more fortunate lives than the rest of us.
Prayer is not for personal benefit primarily, but is communication with the true God. Prayers to false gods always go unheeded. If God always miraculously protected those who serve him, how many more worshippers do you think there would be. But for the wrong reason. People of the true faith do live healthier, happier lives than others, because the follow God's laws and principles. But they suffer the same problems as all mankind, although they have a wonderful hope (Romans 5:12, 8:20,21)
  1. Record of failed corroboration of miracles. Religions depend on stories of miracles--events that contravene natural laws--to support religious belief, yet miracles are notoriously resistant to corroboration and verification.
The miracles in the Bible occurred publicly in front of thousands. Any deception would undoubtedly have been uncovered. Eyewitness testimony from persons of unimpeachable integrity is strong evidence for the Bible's miracles to be accepted.
It is not unreasonable to expect the Creator of physical laws to be able to control them. Even Jesus enemies were unable to refute his miracles, though they scurrilously attributed them to Satan.

Of all the above reasons, I consider #1 the strongest, because mind-body dualism
seems to underpin all religions. I do not oppose the idea of dualism so much as the belief that minds can exist independently of brains. It seems pretty obvious that our minds depend on the physical state of our brains.

Note: None of the above reasons is intended as an absolute proof that gods do not exist. These are reasons that make me consider belief in the existence of gods to be highly implausible.

As mentioned above, none of the reasons stated is strong evidence to reject the one true faith.

Judge Roy Bean

Are you serious??? The brain came before the bible!

U think, the bible is an extraterrestial message with holographic properties sent from outside space-time.
(there's more to it than meets the eye)

do you think, we may be seated and viewing into a digital and holographic virtual simulation of the universe?

is it possible, we may be seeing with our eyes into a very elaborate simulation?

the question is not where is God, but where actually are you?

Ephesians 2:6 says, believers are raised up and seated with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
U think, the bible is an extraterrestial message with holographic properties sent from outside space-time.
(there's more to it than meets the eye)

do you think, we may be seated and viewing into a digital and holographic virtual simulation of the universe?

is it possible, we may be seeing with our eyes into a very elaborate simulation?

the question is not where is God, but where actually are you?

:yes: well said, Roy.

And until we can answer that last question, how can we hope to answer the one before it (although it may well be the same answer)?

atanu

Premium Member
First of all, I have repeatedly argued that the mind is different from the brain.

It means the same. That over time we change our brain and its structures is ample proof that brain is only seen and caused, but not the fundamental cause. Brain itself is an effect of sense organs. It is a wrong thing to attribute to it the functions of seeing-knowing. It is like mistaking the light bulb as producer of light.

The concept of "intelligence" is somewhat amorphous, but the bridgeable gap exists if you understand the concept of emergence in complex systems of interacting processes. Self-awareness is completely understandable in terms of the role it plays in keeping the body healthy and long-living. In fact, that is why roboticists are interested in the concept of self-awareness--because of the need to produce autonomous moving machines that can attend to their own needs.

Your arguments are inane. SORRY. First, you bring in Robotics -- as if a new human race (robots) has already been created. Second, you want us to forget that it is human intelligence that is the intelligence of Robots. You even talk about Robotics because your intelligence is given.

Some AI enthusiasts seem to superimpose human intelligence on machines and then imagine that the machines have original intelligence. pssst.

I don't think of Occam's Razor as an "inane argument",

You are actually forcing certain seen objects and their processes (brain in this instance) as necessary for intelligence, the very thing that makes it possible to see things and their processes. :). And funny thing is that you refuse to even contemplate that a seen thing cannot be a seer. No one has ever seen any brain to function as intelligence when separated from human consciousness and intelligence.

Bingo! That is exactly what evolution by natural selection is all about--the "design" of biological entities by inanimate forces. The evidence in favor of evolutionary design is supported by evidence that scientists

Does science of evolution argue against the purpose of the evolving species? Does it propose any mechanism of data storage/retreival/interpretation to effect the changes that happen? Or do you have all the explanations? In fact, you do not fully understand the emergent process itself, as was demonstrated earlier. Again:

FROM wiki
Corning's definition of emergence:
"Rules, or laws, have no causal efficacy; they do not in fact “generate” anything. They serve merely to describe regularities and consistent relationships in nature. These patterns may be very illuminating and important, but the underlying causal agencies must be separately specified (though often they are not). But that aside, the game of chess illustrates precisely why any laws or rules of emergence and evolution are insufficient. Even in a chess game, you cannot use the rules to predict “history” — i.e., the course of any given game. Indeed, you cannot even reliably predict the next move in a chess game. Why? Because the “system” involves more than the rules of the game. It also includes the players and their unfolding, moment-by-moment decisions among a very large number of available options at each choice point. The game of chess is inescapably historical, even though it is also constrained and shaped by a set of rules, not to mention the laws of physics. Moreover, and this is a key point, the game of chess is also shaped by teleonomic, cybernetic, feedback-driven influences. It is not simply a self-ordered process; it involves an organized, “purposeful” activity." (Corning 2002)
I am also a scientist, and I will never say that TOE has settled all questions of origin of life and its inherent intelligence. You are mixing TOE, Robotics, Ockam -- and what not and arriving at fantastic conclusions that you are imposing on us, as if the knowledge is settled.

I would only quibble with your first bullet. Intelligence is found in nature, but it is a rare side effect of natural processes.

See. How certain you are? I do not know any scientist or any rational thinker to be so certain on origin of intelligence.:yes:

I must bow down to you, sir, and retire.:bow:

Last edited: